Explorist

Check Out

besideds the lack of computer conection, what are the pros and cons of buying an explorist 300. I have searched the site and the only beef people seem to have is the lack of PC conection. Any other reasons that this would be a good or a bad choice for a first GPS. I am looking for one for geocaching and love the idea of an altimeter and compass built in.

This is my perspective. Unfortunately, in South Africa, we have very few geocache sites to go find. The few we have are spread far and wide, so having to enter a few, and I mean FEW, co-ordinates manually is no big deal.

I have a GPS315, which has the PC port, and, apart from 'playing' with a PC connection to prove it works, I haven't used that feature much.

If you're prepared to enter co-ords manually, be diligent in checking, double-checking and triple-checking before asking someone else to verify them BEFORE setting out, the Explorist is a great GPSr.

I prefer doing as much as I can with basic equipment. I prefer using a GPSr that DOESN'T have base maps, for instance, as it makes the 'hunt' that much more challenging.

I know other cachers have different views, all valid, but that's my input .......

Edited for typo

Edited by Azaruk

The eXplorist 300 should work fine, but so would a Vista or Geko301 which also include pressure and magnetic compass sensors, cost about the same, and have computer connections.

There are lots of advantages beyond waypoint downloading in having the computer connection:

1) Firmware updates - the Vista works much better today than it did when first introduced. Are you sure Magellan will get everything just right the first time, including the interaction between the GPS and pressure-based altitudes?

2) Ability to exchange route/tracklog/waypoint information. There is an increasing number of websites for exchanging GPS information on hiking routes such as

www.trailregistry.com, www.travelbygps.com, etc. and other sites are also starting to include downloadable GPS data like the site for the Appalachian trail, sites covering the Tour de France, Adventure Cycling routes, etc. I expect this trend to continue and also for more businesses to start including downloadable GPS location data on their sites.

3) Option to turn your laptop into a navigation system. I use my GPS in the car connected to my laptop and it gives me voice directions along the way - very handy when driving alone in an unfamiliar area.

4) Can keep records of previous hikes and other trips on your PC if you ever want to repeat a trip, check where a particular photo was taken, give track/waypoint data to a friend who wants to do the same or similar hike, etc.

None of these are necessary for finding a limited number of geocaches, but how sure are you that you won't later want to use your GPS receiver for other applications where the lack of a computer connection will limit its usefulness?

I'm waiting for the eXplorist 500.  That one looks cool.  Color screen and USB support.  Neat.

The Canadian ad (in French) I saw indicated that it also had a Li Ion battery. I bet it's permanently sealed inside the unit (just like iPods) and will require a trip back to Magellan for replacement if it ever dies. Besides, how can you recharge a battery out in the wilderness? How many trees out there have AC outlets?

Mind you, I don't know this for a fact. It's just a strong hunch since they have to maintain a water-tight seal for IPX7 standards.

Just as a lack of PC connectivity is a deal breaker for me, so are sealed batteries.

That's why I won't buy an iPod or any of it's clones. If the battery drains on a long flight, there's no way to recharge it or even use AAA's as a substitute. And what if the battery just dies altogether while on vacation? No more music, period!

Why can't these companies take a hint from cell phone manufacturers? These units use Li Ion's and are user replaceable. An even better question is why bother with them in the first place? Internally rechargeable batteries just add more circuitry and cost to the unit, not to mention recharging problems while out on the trail. And even if the battery was user replaceable, spares would be quite expensive when compared to rechargeable AA's.

Instead, why not concentrate on externally rechargeable AA's and improve their performance. At least when these batteries die, you can pop in some alkalines that are readily available at most stores.

We'll just have to wait and see. But if Magellan does to the eXplorist what Garmin did to the Foretrex / Forerunner 201's, then they've shot themselves in the foot once again.

The use of AA batteries in a GPSr is an absolute must for me. I don't want to be lugging around an expensive paperweight for lack of a recharging station.

...  sealed batteries ... That's why I won't buy an iPod or any of it's clones. If the battery drains on a long flight, there's no way to recharge it or even use AAA's as a substitute. And what if the battery just dies altogether while on vacation? No more music, period!...

Slightly off topic, but as far as the iPod goes, you're mistaken. Lots of alternate ways to power and recharge it:

http://www.google.com/search?q=ipod+charger

As for the rest of the "sealed / rechargeable batteries" issue: That should only discourage the end user who expects to be using the gadget away from an AC outlet (or auto/cigarette lighter adapter) for longer than the typical battery life. For those situations, you're absolutely right - you need to be able swap batteries on the go.

The original poster asked about the cons and pros of the eXplorist other than the lack of PC connection.

Now everyone is talking about the lack of PC connection...

I think otherwise it is a decent unit.

That's because in spite of anything else that is an important issue. In other words if the Garmin 60 CS II came out with 1gb of RAM. 10,000 waypoints etc. etc. etc. and it was priced the same as the 60CS but had no USB or Serial cable I'd not touch it in spite of it's other stats. It fundamentally can not do the job that an average geocacher would do.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Regarding the internal Lithium rechargeable battery. I think this is a good technology. Take my Sony Clie PDA with its internal lithium. When I take this out on the trail,yes, there is no outlet to charge it. But.... you can buy a case that takes 4 AA cells and plugs into the bottom and will charge the battery 3 times. Or run the PDA for a couple of weeks.

The Clie can be be charged by AC outlet, cig lighter, USB port, or this battery case. One USB cord plugs into a AC wall-wart, cig lighter plug, or USB port. Pretty handy.......

Edited by EScout
That's because in spite of anything else that is an important issue. In other words if the Garmin 60 CS II came out with 1gb of RAM. 10,000 waypoints etc. etc. etc. and it was priced the same as the 60CS but had no USB or Serial cable I'd not touch it in spite of it's other stats. It fundamentally can not do the job that an average geocacher would do.

I have to disagree with you RK. I know a cacher with over 1000 finds who enters the coordinates in mostly by hand. The lack of cable connection may not be right for you but it may not be a issue for someone else.

Just my .02

Explorist 200 repeatedly takes me to within 5 feet of a cache. I bought a SP Pro, which had me way off course. Returned it. I'm anxious for the new Explorists to come out. I love the user interface (esp. the joystick/enter), and the PERTINENT screens. Being able to ul/dl points in future versions will only add to what seems to be a great GPS experience.

Edited by jacques0
besideds the lack of computer conection, what are the pros and cons of buying an explorist 300.

pros:

14 channel (if you can ever see that many sats)

WAAS EGNOS capble

barometer, alitmeter (pressure?), and electric compass (?)

has a base map (better than nothing)

cons:

made by magellan ;)

has no PC port, no downloading hundreds of waypoints at a shot

Stuck with basemaps, no matter where you go.

Ok, so you know about the no connection port thing, but thats a BIG thing. You can't upload/download waypoints, you can't add or change maps. Whats in there, stays in there. If you don't care about having to enter and retrieve all wps by hand, and don't care about maps so much, it might be ok. But personally if I'm paying 150-200 bucks for it, I would. For that price I can get something else. A Garmin Legend or Magellan Sportrack Map maybe. They're PC connection capable, and have 8mb memorys, so if you decide later on you need more than whats in the base map, it can be added.

Ok, so you know about the no connection port thing, but thats a BIG thing.

Yes.

I'd note the poll that 'Kai Team' is currently conducting in this Forum on desired GPS features. He asks people to rate them as 'Must Have', 'Nice to Have', or 'Don't Care'. The last result I saw with 52 respondents had 85% rating a PC interface as Must Have which was the highest percentage of any of the 24 features in the poll. So unless you already have lots of experience using a GPS and know exactly how you'll be using it I wouldn't be too quick to assume that you'll be among the 4% in the poll who found a PC interface to be a Don't Care feature. I could see one of these eXplorist models as a backup or second GPS, but not as the primary unit - especially considering all the other good choices in the market that do provide a computer connection.

But personally if I'm paying 150-200 bucks for it, I would. For that price I can get something else. A Garmin Legend or Magellan Sportrack Map maybe. They're PC connection capable, and have 8mb memorys, so if you decide later on you need more than whats in the base map, it can be added.

Or a SporTrak Color for $200 at Costco:

PC connectivity

10mb basemap

22mb free memory

3-axis compass

barometer (no altimeter)

16 color screen (160 x 240 pixels)