Mapsend Topo 3d

Marky

I will cast my sceptre of judgement upon it when I see it.

The combination of higher res topo data and Navtech street maps is sure to address the biggest complaints I routinely hear about Mapsend Topo/USA if they can deliver a quality implementation. Given their recent track record, it'll be interesting to see if they deliver.

Their mention of 240MB regions is intriguing given how badly current Mapsend mutants and the firmware handlesregions a fraction of that size. (Think about how badly street name search works in a 64MB region with current firmware...)

I remain mystified why both vendors treat turn-by-turns and topo as mutually exclusive products. The inclusion of the Navtech POI database should make it more practical to find a cheeseburger and a hotel on the way to the park, but you'll have to trade off DirectRoute's driving directions for Topo by my reading.

Okay, the price is up now (however, it is backordered). If you have MapSend topo, you can get the upgrade for $99.

If the DirectRoute release/upgrade is any precedent, the street price of a new version (without upgrade) of the new program will come in around $100 as well. So you may not necessarily save any money ordering the upgrade, but Magellan fulfilled upgrade requests before releasing to the retail market with DR.

My beef with this product is now, i have to pay again for the product I was promised last time and never got. I had to cry to get the update to topo. Magellan finally burned it to cdr and mailed it to me.

Not only do I Have to pay twice, but It wont work on both of my Meridians, one plain one marine. Because this topo is locked to one gps serial number. I really like my magellan, but this software malarky is getting out of hand.

Hmmm.

The "licensed for use with one Magellan GPS receiver" is frustrating. I wonder how they go about enforcing this.

The software looks interesting, but with my Gold nearing the end of its useful life, I'd hate to buy it now and be stuck with a useless CD in a few months if I were to purchase another Magellan.

I'll take a wait and see to hear what y'all think of this program.

Jamie

The "licensed for use with one Magellan GPS receiver" is frustrating. I wonder how they go about enforcing this.

Probably the same way they've enforced it in the last couple of products including DirectRoute and WorldWide Basemap.

The generated maps are bonded to the serial number of your receiver. If I generated a set of maps on my DirectRoute for Memphis and sent them to you to load in your gold's SD card when you tried to activate them with card utilities it would fuss about improper activation or bad serial number or something like that.

This is, of course, speculation as I haven't seen the product either.

Something like that...on DirectRoute, you can change the GPSr serial number associated with a generated map [supposedly] up to four times. So if you generated the likely set of maps you would use for GPS A, and then switched to generating maps for GPS B, you may be ok. This would work ok if any "custom" map files were likely to be needed only for one of the two. If you had to switch generating targets back and forth more than the allowance, presumably you could re-install the program and start over.

I guess Magellan sees the GPSr as the consumer unit, and not the owner/user.

Comparing my old mapsend topo to the 3D, i've noticed alot of trails and roads missing on the 3D. I hope this isn't something you have to pay extra for on that trails.com scam. Other wise this could be a waste of money in my opinion.

I noticed the same thing too. Even some of the dirt roads in my area that are on Mapsend Topo and even DR ore not on the new 3D. What gives? This is enough of a drawback in my opinion not to upgrade. Bummer.

Comparing my old mapsend topo to the 3D, i've noticed alot of trails and roads missing on the 3D. I hope this isn't something you have to pay extra for on that trails.com scam. Other wise this could be a waste of money in my opinion.

I noticed the same thing too. Even some of the dirt roads in my area that are on Mapsend Topo and even DR ore not on the new 3D. What gives? This is enough of a drawback in my opinion not to upgrade. Bummer.

Where are you getting this information about the trails in 3D? Did you have a hands on demo?

--Marky

Where are you getting this information about the trails in 3D? Did you have a hands on demo?

--Marky

I was viewing it off of Magellan's web site.(preview map) And I could be jumping the gun, but just comparing areas where we ride atvs at it is not very promising. Edited by craggy (nightcrawler)

I received Mapsend Topo 3D in the mail lst night. I've installed it and here are my first impressions:

3 Disk Set! Install CD 1, Install CD 2, Map Data CD

Firmware Update CD (Mgold/Plat v5.35 & Color v5.34) - Darn! No new FW versions.

Small flyer - reminder to register the program

Large flyer - Note about FW upgrade CD and Max Map sizes

Quick Reference Guide

Typical Install - 1000MB (Disk 3 data not installed, runs slower)

Full Install - 1600MB (Disk 3 still needed - copy protection check)

Upon start, indicates firmware v5.34 or later is required to run Topo 3D.

Trails!!! Not.

The program boasts trail data from Trails.com. But what they don't mention is they didn't actually add any trails to the maps. What you do get is a bunch of POIs that mark things like trail heads and fishing spots. This will get you to the beginning of a trail, but it wont help you navigate it one bit. I picked a mountain bike trail and it listed the following type of info. Trail Name, State, Skill Level, Level, Technical Difficulty, Length, Trails.com URL It's all interesting, but pretty worthless.

The 3D interface is kinda fun to play with, but it is only on the PC. There are no 3D features added to the GPS. Look to the photos section at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/magellan_meridian/ for some photos. I uploaded some track data from riding my ATV in the woods. The dotted line on the map is not a road anymore, but more of a trail. It's interesting to note how closely my tracks seem to match the roads - good map data and good GPS reception in the woods!

Other POIs - typical Topo terrain type POIs are there, as well as familiar POIs from DirectRoute (ATMs, Gas, Restaurant, Hotels, Camping).

Compatibility with Meridian GPS (Green and Yellow) - The software does not list the basic model, but the maps work fine! Meridian Green or Yellow users finally have access to much better maps!!!

More notes:

Covers 48 continental states.

Covers Hawaii

Puerto Rico has roads, but no topo.

Alaska has no Topo and only major Highways - no side streets Mexico has some major highway detail (but roads like I5 are cut-off at the US boarder and when the pick up again on the Mexico side, the roads are shifted (different map data?). Canada appears to have some major highway detail, but it disappears when you zoom in (program bug?).

Track playback in 3D mode is kinda fun. In the overview mode, you can watch an image of a car driving up and down the hills along your track. With inside view, it puts you in the car and you drive along your track. There is one small issue. During playback it will occasionally pause. The higher the details settings, the bigger the pause. The faster the playback, the more frequent the pause. I doubt it's my system, as I have a 2.8Ghz P4, 1GB mem and ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. I did a quick check, and during playback there is zero hard drive activity - so it's not caused by the program reading data from the hard drive. I've put in a support ticket on this item.

Trails.com - Any POI from them has an URL you can click. It takes you to that trail's page on their site - where you are promptly told you must register to get any information. It offers a 14-day free trial, but when you try to sign up you must provide a credit card - so they can charge you $50 for an annual subscription (when you forget to cancel your membership after 14 days).

I found this article on the web. http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2004/Dec/1100922.htm

It states that you buyers will get a 3 month subscription to Trails.com. On the Mapsend Topo 3D product page on Magellan's website, it also has a trails.com logo with a note that you get a free trial subscription. But no mention about how to do that in the Mapsend Topo 3D software, not in the box, not on Magellan's website, and not on Trails.com website. I guess I have to put in a support request to Magellan to find out about that.

Map size limit is increased! The flyer. The new map size limit in Topo 3D is ~240MB. I can create regions up to that size, if I go larger I get a message telling me the max size is 246,768 bytes.

I got an email from Magellan about this new 3D program. It piqued my interest, though I usually download all our trip tracks to both my old Mapsend Topo and my National Geographics state topo maps. After reading this thread I think I just may stick to what I've got. Out here in Nevada, we don't care that much about streets and other population center related stuff. I'm really concerned with topo grids, trails, and elevations. And my wife and I both use the same program to load our two GPS's. I don't think that's asking too much.

I've been beta testing a new 3D version of the NG topo series and it's pretty cool, though the whole program interface has changed and I'm not sure I like it. The program allows you to draw (or download) a route and then 'fly' over it either "nape of the earth" or from a higher elevation, adjusting the speed of your view. I'm not sure how to vote on this 'upgrade' yet.

:P I'm not having any luck with the Magellan Mapsend Topo 3D!! I can't figure out how to download the waypoints from Geocaching.com!! When I try opening one in there it says I do not have Permission to save in this directory,see administrator for permission. Before downloading it I just used EasyGPS to download into my Meridian gold. Need help on this one!!

The Tapps :P:P

Well, I've been using the new MapSend Topo 3D for a little over a week now and I have to say that I don't think it's really worth the upgrade if you already have MapSend Topo. It seems like there are now zero trails in most parks (not that there were that many before). The trails.com thing is a joke. I tried it once and immediately cancelled my automatic payment that gets set up for you by default. I was expecting that MAYBE it would download the track to MapSend and then to my GPS so I'd have the trail/route on my GPS, but no, all I see is a .pdf file of the book the published trail came from. That does absolutely nothing for me. It's less useful that the .pdf file that is available for free for most parks and open spaces. I'll probably keep using it but it's not really doing much for me that MapSend Topo wasn't doing. The 3D is cute and all, but I don't need it for geocaching.

--Marky

:D I'm not having any luck with the Magellan Mapsend Topo 3D!! I can't figure out how to download the waypoints from Geocaching.com!! When I try opening one in there it says I do not have Permission to save in this directory,see administrator for permission. Before downloading it I just used EasyGPS to download into my Meridian gold. Need help on this one!!

The Tapps :D:laughing:

I don't have the new Topo 3d, so I can only answer from the perspective of other MapSend products (I presume the same situation holds for T3D).

When you download a waypoint (or set of waypoints) from geocaching.com they are either in .gpx or .loc file formats. Mapsend doesn't recognize that file format. EasyGPS (and many other programs, such as ExpertGPS and GSAK) are able to read the .gpx or .loc formats and so they can do the transfer.

You can, for example, open a .loc file with EasyGPS (as you did in the past) and send the waypoints to your GPSr. If you want to get those waypoints into your MapSend product, it's a little more convoluted:

(1) You can upload from your GPSr

(2) You can export the waypoints from EasyGPS in a csv file (I presume EasyGPS does this...ExpertGPS does); open the csv file in Excel, save the file in .xls formt, and import into MapSend (whew!)

(3) You can use GPSBabel to convert from .loc or .gpx formats to .wpt format, which MapSend can read directly, or

(4) You can use GSAK (my recommendation) to open your .loc or .gpx file and send the waypoints to wherever you want.

GSAK harnesses the power of GPSBabel in a way that many find easiest to use. GPSBabel uses a command line interface that is difficult for most of us WinDoze types to comprehend. There are a couple of GUI frontends available that make it easier. GSAK is that and much more.

This is probably more information than you wanted, but I hope it at least explains the problem you've run into.

The whole situation seems like a bit of a joke to me. Reading over this here is what I got from it.

1. Mapsend came out with a new product, which is basically the old product repackaged.

2. You can see a 3D map (only on your computer)

3. and you lost alot of useful info that used to be on the maps.

4. you can only use the maps on one unit.

5. Some information (Not much of it useful) is being held hostage by trails.com and if you want it you have to pay $50 on top of what you paid for the software

For geocaching this seems like a waste of time and money, and I'm shocked that Magellan would shoot themselves in the foot like this.

I was considering getting a basic Magellan GPS as a backup for my legend, but decided that I am very happy with Garmin. Their topo software, while not great does do a good job. It also is not locked to the unit’s serial number.

The maps garmin does lock can be shared with TWO units not just one.

Seems like an easy choice.

Joe Smith

All,

When I got home from work today (12/29/04) my copy of topo 3D was waiting for me. Not bad since I ordered it on the 26th.

Well I loaded it on my PC. I did a full install. It comes on 3 CDs. You need still the 3rd one in the cd-rom to run it.

I then started the program, made a region and tried to upload it to my MAP 330. No joy. I got “Your GPS unit is not compatible with this version of MapSend. The map upload cannot be done.” error. But being the kind of person not to give up I tried using smcup.exe to upload the file and like magic it uploaded to the MAP 330.

In my initial testing these maps have more detail and accuracy the old topo version. You will find you are closer or on the roads when driving. A lot of the newer road in my area are even on it. But some of the POI info is way outdated. For example they still have the JFK stadium in Philadelphia.

The 3D view is not that impressive to me and is only available on the PC no matter what version GPS you have.

Now the region files for this new program are a lot bigger that the older version. So I would recommend that if you use it with your MAP 330 I recommend that you change the base map to the small NA map to get the most bang for your buck. Most of you have probably done that already.

Paul

Group,

After further “testing” on my drive into work this morning I found the TOPO 3D program has a lot more detail and accuracy than I first thought. For example, the highway I take to work displays as a divided highway (with the median in the middle) and I am actually on the correct side of the highway. It even shows the on ramps and off ramps. Again I am right on them. Even at the 100 ft setting. On the old version it showed up just as a line even at the .2 mile setting I was off to one side of that line and there where no on off ramps.

Paul

I just got my copy of the Topo 3D. I'm having a problem that I was hoping someone that is already using it can help me with. I've tried going to the Magellan website, but that appears to be down and has been since sometime yesterday!

The problem is that after loading it (full install) I'm not getting any TOPO info, and I do not have the 3D option available. Is it something that I'm not setting up right? Is there something that I didn't see in the manual that I have to do to get this activated?

Thanks for your help

John

The problem is that after loading it (full install) I'm not getting any TOPO info, and I do not have the 3D option available. Is it something that I'm not setting up right? Is there something that I didn't see in the manual that I have to do to get this activated?

Are you refering to your GPS or PC? If you are refering to your GPS go into map setup and make sure you select the options to display the topo lines. 3D is only available on the PC not GPS.

Paul

Are you refering to your GPS or PC? If you are refering to your GPS go into map setup and make sure you select the options to display the topo lines. 3D is only available on the PC not GPS.

Paul

Sorry, I neglected to mention that this is on the PC not the GPSr.

Paul

Sorry, I neglected to mention that this is on the PC not the GPSr.

I am not sure why you can not see the topo lines or the 3D option. I installed it last night and it worked right away on the PC. Are you sure you have the 3D version?

Is there a 3D button on the menu bar?

Edited by Team Dougherty

Well, I decided to call Thales tech support. It was fun playing stump the tech. Ha Ha! ;) I head more than once "That shouldn't do that"

The Tech group was very plesant to work with too, They made having a problem fun. (as fun as having a problem can be :o )

We worked on it for about 45 minutes or more. I even sent them the screen shot. We determined that I don't have the option to select/deselect the topo information, and it's not showing up on the maps, AND I don't have the 3D option.

They are going to send me another copy of the software to see if I got a bad copy.

I'll follow up here when I get the new copy.

Well, I decided to call Thales tech support.  It was fun playing stump the tech.  Ha Ha!  :smile:  I head more than once "That shouldn't do that" 

The Tech group was very plesant to work with too, They made having a problem fun.  (as fun as having a problem can be  B)  )

We worked on it for about 45 minutes or more.  I even sent them the screen shot.  We determined that I don't have the option to select/deselect the topo information, and it's not showing up on the maps, AND I don't have the 3D option.

They are going to send me another copy of the software to see if I got a bad copy.

Quintheeskimo66 ,

Do you have an update to your probelm?

Paul

Edited by Team Dougherty
Well, I decided to call Thales tech support.  It was fun playing stump the tech.  Ha Ha!  :D  I head more than once "That shouldn't do that" 

The Tech group was very plesant to work with too, They made having a problem fun.  (as fun as having a problem can be  :huh:  )

We worked on it for about 45 minutes or more.  I even sent them the screen shot.  We determined that I don't have the option to select/deselect the topo information, and it's not showing up on the maps, AND I don't have the 3D option.

Quintheeskimo66 ,

Do you have an update to your probelm?

Paul

I'm still waiting to get my replacment copy. I got an email early last week saying that they were having weather related problems at their shipping facility and would be shipping it soon.

I hope to report back soon. Oh I hope it's soon...... :huh:

I think I'll send an email requesting a tracking number when I get home tonight.

( :P not that I'm posting from work or anything )

I thought I'd give an update on my situation with the Mapsend Topo 3D.

Some time ago I had contacted Thales about not having the 3D capability on my Topo 3D software package.

After a LONG wait, I finally got the new cd's delivered. I installed them and

:D The new ones that they sent me worked just fine. I'm very happy that the new software worked, but I'm not happy about the time it took for them to deliver it.

Also

They asked that I return the old set when I confirmed that the new ones worked. Ok, fine by me, It doesn't work anyway. But I was expecting some sort of shipping label, or some return information. I didn't get anything. So they are apparently expecting me to send this back on my dime. :( Definately not happy about that. :lol:

Well, I liked what I saw on the preview from Magellan's website, so I went ahead and ordered my copy today. I have been using the regular Topo for about 2 years now and always wanted more detail in the topographical contour lines. Looks like I may finally have it. Mapsend may not be the best mapping software available, but it is the only brand useable by my Meridian (at least in the GPS). Increasing the intervals to 30 m from 90m should give me more of the detail I was looking for. I was kind of hoping Magellan would come out with some kind of downloadable upgrade to improve the maps but I guess the only way is to buy a newer product. I'm really not too sure what the point of the 3D effect is. I guess it's pretty to look at. I'll give my opinion on the program once I get it.

I have been using Topo 3D for a couple of weeks now and I'm very happy with it. Overall, I think the Topo 3D is a vast improvement over the original Topo US. The improved Topo detail is far better than the original Topo and the streets have been updated and are pretty accurate (at least in my area). I would prefer contour intervals of 10 or 20 meters, but 30 is definately much better than 90 meters. At first I thought the 3D veiw mode would't be of much use but I was wrong. This feature allows you to plan a route and actually view your plan on a 3D map which can be pretty useful. I use my GPS and Topo software for work (military) and the 3D view is pretty useful. I suppose it could even help with planning a cache hunt, allthough I have not tried it yet. Most of my caching is in Illinois which is pretty flat anyway.

For me, this upgrade was worth the price.