Geko 201

Alrpal

Hi I am currently using a Magellan 2000 XL that I have had for a number of years now.I am looking for something smaller and WAAS enabled.I really do not care about internal maps.The small size of the Geko make it very enticing.Is this a decent unit or just a toy? Thanks Al ;)

I'll echo that... I'm located too far north to reliably pick up the WAAS satellite, as it sits really far down on the horizon.

The other day I was out with my Etrex Vista C and a Garmin 72. The 72 was able to pick up WAAS, while my unit wasn't. Both units were showing 4-5 meter accuracy, and their coordinates were always within 1-2 m of each other. I used both for a search-and-rescue GPS exercise and got identical performance.

I checked my Vista against a surveyors mark the other day, and after taking an average position for about 90 seconds was within 1-3 meters on all coordinates -- easting, northing, and elevation.

Besides, who are we kidding? We aren't surveyors here, we don't need cm-level accuracy. If your GPS can get you within a 10m x 10m square, then you should be able to find the cache.

Regards,

Anthony