Travel Bug Help In D.c

Fuzidave

Pegasus Flyer I Travel Bug [TB388F]

i had some friends plant a travel bug in D.C. :D

unfortunately they didn't put it IN a cache, but rather NEAR a cache. :D

could someone please rescue it and put it in a cache so it can get on it's way.

this is the travel bug: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=14479 :D

according to my friend...

N38'51.498 W 077'01.345 is within 30 feet of it.

N38'51.494 W 077'01.323 is within 2 feet of it.

If you feel under the edge of the leg where the top of the leg touches the ground you will find it.

There is an "event " cache in DC this weekend (Oct 16). Unfortunately I can't go, so you might email JoeCthulhu, the event organizer. He may be able to help you out, or at least that morning pass it on to the other multitudes of cachers who will be there. I'm sure someone will help out.

Edited by Metaphor

For the TB that was placed around the Awakenings statue, I'd be surprized if it was still there. This statue is climbed on by childrennonstop from sun up to sun down. I wasn't planning on going near it, but I'll see if I have time to stop by - not that I think there's any chance it'll still be there.

For ahimsa's, I posted a note on the TB page, asking the Keystone Approver to send me the coordinates. I'll be all over the National Mall this Satuday so it shouldn't be a problem picking it up.

In June, ahimsa's travel bug was placed in a new cache by a geocacher who was visiting from Ohio with a school group on their class trip. But the cache was hidden on the National Mall! What an exceedingly bad place for a cache. It is NPS-administered property and the security concerns are probably higher here than anyplace else in the country.

I wrote to the cache owner three times about this cache, and making arrangements for someone to retrieve it, but I never heard any response. Now, of course, I could not take fast action, because that would be trampling on the cache owner's rights, and maybe they chose to list their cache on another listing site, yada yada yada. So in the meantime, there's a high likelihood that the cache has been picked up by a muggle, a maintenance worker or a security officer. We will find out this weekend! If JoeCthulhu's group does find this cache and liberates the travel bug, it will be worthy of a thread in the travel bug forum, filed under "miracles." I'm crossing my fingers!

It is very frustrating for me, trying to deal with uncooperative and unresponsive cache owners while still respecting their "rights" to a cache that cannot be listed here. What about the bug owner's rights?

Once again, GOOD LUCK and thank you to JoeCthulhu.

EDIT: To spell JoeCthulhu's name correctly. I would not wish to incur the wrath of Chtulhu.

Edited by Keystone Approver

Here's the story.

If you pull up the coordinates on an aerial mapping service it looks like it in the middle of a field. It is. There nothing matching that description within a reasonable distance. Heck the closet tree was over 100 feet away.

The clue points to the cache being at the top of a short set of stairs. The closest thing matching that description is 400 feet to the east. I wasn't able to explore the area completely, as part of it was closed for obvious maintence, but I'd be surprized if it is there.

Next time I'm in DC I'll check out the area again, and hopefully it will be open to the public. Although possible that this is the location, I don't hold out any hope. I'm over 90% certain that the cache and TB are kaput.

Sorry. I wish I had better news.

I went to look for this bug and had the same experience as JoeCthulhu. The coordinates place you in a small field/park between the Natural History Museum and the Washington Monument - - right on the National Mall. There are no permanent buildings on this site - - though on occasion they erect temporary buildings and tents for events in this area. There are no stairs within 400 feet of the coordinates. If the cache was placed near any of the buildings closest to this site - - all of which are federal buildings - - there is no way it would still be there. Security is pretty tight around this area as it is about two blocks from the White House.