Seasonal Themes Cache

Mr Smiles

I have a great Halloween theme cache planned. This theme would be outdated soon, and would likely not be considered "of a permanent nature". The location would lend itself well to other seasons, (Thanksgiving, Xmas, etc.) and I would edit the cache page accordingly.

Questions:

Would such a change best be accomplished with archiving/resubmitting?

If the location remained the same, but the cache "character" completely changed, would return visitors be able to log a new find?

What would your suggestions be regarding the best way to do this?

Mr Smiles

Same caching experience, same cache.

Does the hunt, the find, the feel and nature of the cache change with the seasons? Or do you hunt it with a halloween suite one month and a santa hat the next, but the cache is about the same?

Your call as the owner. You can run a 3 month theme and all it good when it's over, or just change the theme with the time of year.

The admins would not be pleased with you and unless the hunt is an entirely different experience, I don't see why you should.

If the location remained the same, but the cache "character" completely changed, would return visitors be able to log a new find?

Not sure what you mean by character. If it's simply a new theme and contents that does not constitute a new cache. If you change it from a traditionl to a multi, then that does change the character. In that case it would warrant a new page, rather than just allowing people to re-log.

There are other caches out there with themes that change with the seasons. The owners change the name, theme and contents, but the cache stays in the same spot and the same page is used. In this case people would (or should) only log "found its" once. Any re-visits would be notes.

I have a great Halloween theme cache planned. This theme would be outdated soon, and would likely not be considered "of a permanent nature". The location would lend itself well to other seasons, (Thanksgiving, Xmas, etc.) and I would edit the cache page accordingly.

Questions:

Mr Smiles

Insted of a specific holiday or season, you could make it a general holiday theme.

Or you could keep it a Holloween theme year round. I've seen a few christmas theme caches year round and have enjoyed them.

(BTW, great job on "mem")

I have an idea that just might work for you. You could make it a Multi-Cache with the first find being a terminal to the next leg. Each "seasonal cache" you would then hide in a different spot at whatever time of year it needed to be changed and then change the coordinates in the terminal cache (always in the same place) to the second leg in it's new spot. This would make every seasonal hunt a new experience so that seekers could legitamately log a new find, and I believe would conform to all GeoCaching rules. Then all you would have to do is change your info to let people know it's a new season and your new destination cache has been placed. Does this make sense?? :mad:

CapnJackSparrow

Edited by CapnJackSparrow
I have an idea that just might work for you. You could make it a Multi-Cache with the first find being a terminal to the next leg. Each "seasonal cache" you would then hide in a different spot at whatever time of year it needed to be changed and then change the coordinates in the terminal cache (always in the same place) to the second leg in it's new spot. This would make every seasonal hunt a new experience so that seekers could legitamately log a new find, and I believe would conform to all GeoCaching rules. Then all you would have to do is change your info to let people know it's a new season and your new destination cache has been placed. Does this make sense?? :mad:

CapnJackSparrow

A good rule of thumb: One waypoint (GC#), one smile. A new waypoint (new GC#), a new smile.

Brian said just about the same thing here:

Not sure what you mean by character. If it's simply a new theme and contents that does not constitute a new cache. If you change it from a traditionl to a multi, then that does change the character. In that case it would warrant a new page, rather than just allowing people to re-log.

Edited by cache_us_if_you_can