Deleting Caches From Closest Page

Trekks

I did a search of the forums to see if this topic has been covered, but didn't come up with anything....so....if it's already been covered, can someone point me in the right direction?

I would like a way to remove the listings of caches from my closest caches page when I know there is no way that I am going to go out and find them. They are not in what I consider interesting places -- they seem to be caches for the sake of putting out a cache.

For example, on my first page they are all micros. I know one of them is hidden under a porta-potty in a new housing development. Those are not caches that I am going to go out and find, but I almost have to just to get them off my closest caches page. Is there a way to get rid of these? Any plans for a checkbox that will allow caches that you know you are not going to go find to be hidden from view?

I've never heard this called "deleting caches" and that's probably why you couldn't find anything. Deleting is probably a poor choice of words.

"Ignoring" caches has been suggested and requested MANY times.

I'm not that handy with the search engine, I haven't been able to pull up the threads involving that - but it's been requested and discussed a good bit.

sd

You're a premium member. Set up a pocket query that ignores micros (if that's what you're getting at) and which is centered on your home coordinates. Run the search online. Bookmark the results. Use that as your search page instead of the links from the "find a cache" page or the "my cache page."

Or, to selectively ignore individual caches, for instance just the micro that you know to be hidden under a porta potty, use the ignore feature built into the third party applications that work with GPX files, and do your searching and planning offline.

Cool, I'll try these suggestions. It just gets so annoying sometimes to sift through three or four pages of results that I know I am not going to go find. It's not micros themselves, it's the sheer number of the ones that are so poorly planned it's almost like they were tossed out the car windows as people drove by.

they seem to be caches for the sake of putting out a cache

All caches were placed for no better reason than someone wanted one there. What you are really saying is you don't like a specific kind. As KA has said you can use a 3rd party application such as GPXsonar that lets you ignore a specific cache or all caches by a specific owner.

The request you made has come up quite a bit as a suggested site feature. It would not suprise me if such a thing would be implemented one of these days.

Yeah, I guess that's what I am saying. I don't like caches that seem to have been carelessly dropped rather than cleverly hidden. I don't like micros magneted to every third lightpole on a street and I don't like them hanging from a blackberry bush 50 feet into a thicket. Call me picky :mad: I like going to cool places, seeing great scenery, or even something not so great, but interesting. Maybe I'm just becoming a cache snob like Chubby Forest Monkey :mad: Anyway, it's nice to be able to not have to wade through the ones I don't want to find without having to find them simply to get them off my first page.

Thanks for the ideas and I hope it will be a feature in the future!

You're a premium member.  Set up a pocket query that ignores micros (if that's what you're getting at) and which is centered on your home coordinates.  Run the search online.  Bookmark the results.  Use that as your search page instead of the links from the "find a cache" page or the "my cache page."

Or, to selectively ignore individual caches, for instance just the micro that you know to be hidden under a porta potty, use the ignore feature built into the third party applications that work with GPX files, and do your searching and planning offline.

I just don't think this is an adequate solution. I do NOT use third party applications all that often - mainly watcher now and then - I like to use the website for my planning. I'm sure I'm not the only one that chooses to plan this way. If the website's features, like the "nearest cache page" (filter) aren't meant to be used for planning then they should be removed and we should just be left with PQ's.

What if I don't want to ignore micros? Perhaps just every hide by somebody who's hides I don't enjoy? Or certain micros? Or puzzle caches? Or those dreaded lame ammo box caches? Or certain caches that require special equipment that I don't use (lets say I use climbing gear but not scuba gear - ignoring 5 terrains would get rid of caches I could go after).

A simple ignore option is all people are asking for... A nice checkbox "Ignore this cache". I mean... we have watchlists - surely the code for ignore lists would be similar to that... just minus the email notifications...

Trekks - here's the most RECENT request:

Ignore Request.

sd