Our Responsibilities As Cache Hunters...

muddyshoes

First of all, I really hope this gets posted as a "sticky note" for all to see...

Well, as I've seen the quality of cache items and conditions of the caches themselves seem to get worse and worse over the past few years, I'm going to take it upon myself to see what I can do to help things.

*** Drive-By Cache Cleaning...

How many times have you arrived at a cache only to find a shredded trash bag that looks like someone's discarded garbage with a cache inside? Or what about a cache full of wet, soaked and/or broken cache items, a soaked or missing log or even graffiti from some geocachers who feel they have to let the world know they were here by writing their names on the cache itself or putting stickers around it?

Well yes, the truth is that we are geocachers for the excitement of the hunt, but it's nice to find a well-hidden, well maintained and sealed cache that is dry and clean on the inside. Now I don't mean it has to be spic and span clean, but at least not full of dirt and debris or water. Ok, sometimes things happen to caches, but what we do about it when we find caches in those conditions is what's important.

For those hunting with children, you are teaching your children more than just how to use a GPS. By taking the time to clean and leave a cache in better condition when you found it teaches them a much more valuable lesson. This instills in them the value of cleanliness so that when they grow up, they aren't the people you see driving who have to throw their food wrappers out the window as they drive or hurl their cigarettes out the window at every traffic light.

By cleaning up caches that you find, you also help the people who took the time to put the cache together, to find a place for it and place it, and enter the information on the Geocache site. How much nicer it is for those folks to retrieve their logs and find a clean cache rather than a slug of water-logged paper and plastic.

*** How to clean a cache ...

First, here is a list of stuff that I will be carrying as part of my cache-cleaning kit, all purchasable from any dollar store, i.e. Dollar Tree, etc. All of this can fit into a small fanny pac or bum bag, depending upon where in the world you are from.

- Napkins (Easier to carry than paper towels) for water cleanup.

- Sandwich sized ziploc bags for placing items and logbook as needed for caches that aren't very waterproof. Freezer bags are sturdier.

- Small notepads for caches with missing or damaged logbooks

- Pens for caches with missing pens

- Brown plastic leaf/garbage bags for caches with damaged bag or for caches which really should be in bags for protection. Black bags don't blend in as well with natural environment for caches in woods and natural environment. There are green bags as well.

- Black Sharpie-brand or other waterproof permanent markers to label anything inside the cache, like logbook or ziplocs or something

- Maybe a small thing of cleaner of some kind.

When you find a cache that is worse for the wear, just use your common sense and think of what you could do to help this thing survive being outside.

- Empty any water and dry out what you can

- Throw out anything rusted, broken, waterlogged items

- Any large item(s) that are keeping the lid from fitting on the cache, take and save for a larger cache.

- Throw out any food items, but I doubt people put cans of beans in caches...who knows?

- Remove any items which seem to detract from the "family" nature of the cache. Now I know this point could be controversial, but in other words, take out anything you wouldn't want your kid to be seeing or using. Just use your judgement here.

- If the logbook isn't in a ziploc bag, put it in one. If the bag it currently has is damaged, replace the bag. If there is no log book or pen, then leave a new logbook and pen..in a ziploc bag, of course :mad:

- If the items inside are wet or dirty but not damaged, then give a quick wiping down with a napkin or two.

- Then, most importantly, write in the logbook "THIS CACHE WAS CLEANED BY [your name here] on [date and time]" Be proud of the work that you are doing and the fact that you are helping not only those who follow behind you, but the cache owner. And you are teaching those who are new to the hobby to be more responsible. If you take the time to do this, others will to.

And, then, REALLY most importantly, you are helping to raise the standards of the hobby itself and taking pride in the process.

One one last thing - Take a minute to post in your find-report on the geocache site that you cleaned the cache and if you find a cache that is too far gone, don't just post about it and leave it at that...take a minute to email the cache owner who might not check the logs regularly.

(Edit....)

As a follow up to a few quick responders to this post, I do agree, it is the cache-owner's responsibility to keep his cache presentable. Otherwise, he needs to remove it. I will clean a cache as a courtesy, but I won't restore or revive it.

Good luck to all!

MuddyShoes

Orlando, Florida

Edited by muddyshoes
Cache maintenance is not the responsibility of cache hunters; it is a courtesy we extend to cache owners. I do not think we should absolve cache owners of the responsibilites of cache ownership.

Yup, people need to place caches with the intent of getting themselves back out there when there are problems.

Yes, I agree,

But that's why I'm stopping at the point where I do a quick emergency cleanup. I don't mind taking a little extra time to help cleanup a cache, but I'm not investing in a new cache box or putting my own purchased items in a cache to revive it, or relocating it for that matter. I'm just cleaning it up a little for those who come behind me.

Yes, you are right...the cache owner is responsible for his or her own cache and it is ultimately his or her responsibility to keep it cleaned and maintained.

MuddyShoes

Orlando, Florida

How many times have you arrived at a cache only to find a shredded trash bag that looks like someone's discarded garbage with a cache inside?

- Brown plastic leaf/garbage bags for caches with damaged bag or for caches which really should be in bags for protection. Black bags don't blend in as well with natural environment for caches in woods and natural environment. There are green bags as well.

These items are in opposition to each other.

Rarely should caches be put inside a trash bag. If the container is not up to the conditions in the environment, then something sturdier should be used. I've never found an ammo box inside a plastic bag.

Plastic garbage bags (surprise) were designed to break down in the environment. That's what they do. They also make very comfortable homes for a variety of creatures, and they're very good at keeping rotting, wet, debris close by when you need to reach inside to get the cache, which is often wet anyway.

They also, as you pointed out, make the cache look like garbage (literally). That's not a very appealing sight to a land manager or first time cacher.

Please don't put caches inside plastic bags. Instead, use a proper container in the first place.

Jamie

Consider it a lecture if you want, I merely posted what I am going to do to make the hobby more enjoyable for myself and others who come after me and took an hour to put down some suggestions for others who may want to contribute more as well.

I look at it this way, if a park groundskeeper or property owner comes across a cache that looks like garbage, it's going to be tossed in the garbage and there is a less-likely chance that the groundskeeper/owner will allow a cache to be placed there another time.

My post was directed more toward those new to the hobby, not you good folk with 3000+ posts in these forums who have been doing this for many years.

To those who have cleaned up caches before I got there and who have been doing this all along.. I thank you ;)

MuddyShoes

Orlando, Florida

Brown plastic leaf/garbage bags for caches with damaged bag or for caches which really should be in bags for protection.

I totally disagree with this. The bags usually develop holes after a handful of finds. They then fill with water that doesn't evaporate and you get all kinds of nasty slime growing in the bag. Sticking your hand in there is not pleasant.

If a container needs a plastic bag to stay dry, the container never should have been used in the first place.

Other than that it's always nice fix up a cache that is in poor condition, but as Bassoonpilot said, its really the responsibility of the owner. Maintenace is not part of our responsibility as cache hunters. Our responsibility is limited to disturbing the area around the cache as little as possible and replacing the cache the way the owner hid it. But nothing wrong with helping him out though.

Edited by briansnat