Travel Bugs

Boxer Crew

Just wanted to check on Travel Bug etiquette.

Should I only pick up travel bugs if I am going to drop them at another cache some distance away? At the moment I am expereimenting with local caches, I wasn't sure if the TB only would get upset if I moved a TB from one cache to another one nearby, or worse still, to the cache the TB came from. As far as I can see there is no way of knowing the TB's history until you pick it up and get its number.

Thanks

The key issues of TB ettiquette are:

1) promptly logging the TB, and

2) keeping it moving (i.e. don't hold on to a TB for longer than a week or two except in special circumstances - i.e. an upcoming trip that moves it closer to it's goal - even then, email the owner and ask permission). Once you place it, see rule #1.

I agree that it doesn't matter how far you move it, although it would be bad form to return it to the cache you retrieved it from (that woudn't be moving it at all!). It's also nice if you check the goal, after you retrieve it, and try to move it in a direction that brings it closer to it's goal (even if you only move it a mile or two).

If you can't log it promptly or keep it moving, you shouldn't pick it up!

For some sad tales of what not to do with a TB, read the logs at the The Travel Bug Graveyard. :( Losing your TB to a careless cacher is a real bummer!

You can read the TB's page if it is properly listed in the cache without knowing it's number. Just click on it's name near the upper right corner of the cache description page. If it has a goal, it should be found there.

Unless there are specific instructions, any move is good, no matter how short.

It's nice to see you asking questions too. You'll do just fine!

Just make sure you know what their goal is.

There's one cache somewhere where a travel bug is the key to get into it, and you can move the TB anywhere you want to within a certain city. Obviously, taking that one and putting it into the cache it's the key to would be stupid, but any other local cache is fair game. (Note, yes, that has happened numerous times)

All bug owners want to see their bugs move. If you can only move it 528 feet to the next cache, at least it's getting moved.