Can't Review A Thing........

Eckington

I am sure that, given today's weather, some of you have been out placing caches :huh: , however I have not been able to get onto the review queue to find out for some reason :lol: . I keep getting a "server error" "too busy" report. :lol: Iam afraid this will hold things up a little ;):rolleyes:

Cheers and Cache Well,

Eckington

As someone who is responsible for a website that is in danger of being overwhelmed by its poularity, I have a great sympathy for Geocaching.com.

We have a budget of tens of thousands of pounds to get our site sorted out and its still taking weeks more than I'd hoped to bring more servers on line.

Don't forget that Geocaching.com relies on voluntary contributions to do anything.

Edited by Pooter
As a Premium Member I'm singularly unimpressed with geocaching.com - and I've told them so.

Bren

This is exactly what I thought recently.

By the way, the site does not rely entirely on voluntary contributions as they raise unknown amounts of revenue through diverse advertising, and they also run a profitable shop, again supported by members who buy the stuff.

Without access to site, which is unfair to members, there is nothing. And having it down for hours on end must be annoying to people who are out in the sticks looking for caches and log on to the site remotely needing hints etc.

If it's a commercial enterprise, then we, the "Premium" members, and the people who buy stuff from the shop, and the other cachers who don't contribute financially but find and place caches, therefore promoting the game - we are the customers, and deserve to have a functioning website to use.

Claiming that "poor geocaching.com" is underfunded does not cut the mustard with me. And I also feel sorry for the volunteers that act as moderators. They deserve to get paid for what they do, after all, without them the whole thing would not work.

Edited by klaus23

All of this presupposes that the recent stability problems at gc.com derive from a shortage of finance, or lack of spending on IT infrastructure. Yet J.I. is on record (elsewhere in these forums) as saying that this is not the case.

Which is remarkable, when you think about it: if gc.com needed money, they could easily raise it by a funds appeal to the wider membership - and yet this hasn't happened.

Anyone who has held a senior position in the IT industry (as I have) knows that throwing cash at a problem does not always (or even usually) fix it.

And anyone who expects 24/7, 100% reliability from a website, doesn't know anything about IT at all...

:)