How is a "Magnetic key case" used?

Gizzys Dad

I have been searching for a particular cache 4 times now and I guess I need to ask the Pros on this one.

The site is and old lock on the Erie Canal. see: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=e9e43906-2ad9-4026-92e1-58a99b4526e7

My question is - do most people use the magnetic part of the key case or just the case not stuck to anything magnetic?

Good hiding places would be between the large granite blocks on the locks but I don't find it there. Should I be looking for something Iron it might be stuck to?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Gizzys Dad

quote:
Originally posted by Gizzys Dad:

I have been searching for a particular cache 4 times now and I guess I need to ask the Pros on this one.

The site is and old lock on the Erie Canal. see: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=e9e43906-2ad9-4026-92e1-58a99b4526e7

My question is - do most people use the magnetic part of the key case or just the case not stuck to anything magnetic?

Good hiding places would be between the large granite blocks on the locks but I don't find it there. Should I be looking for something Iron it might be stuck to?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Gizzys Dad

Normally it's stuck to metal but not always. You can't assume unless they say "It's stuck to metal"

I've found a cache that had "Magnetic Key Holder" as the clue. It was not on anything metal at all. It was buried in a stump among all the rotting stump guts. Extra Deep.

RK wrote:

quote:
I've found a cache that had "Magnetic Key Holder" as the clue. It was not on anything metal at all. It was buried in a stump among all the rotting stump guts. Extra Deep

Now that's just plain wrong!! People should only use cache containers the way they were made to be used. icon_rolleyes.gif

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

It would probably make the search easier if they were always placed on a metal object, but as others have said, it can't always be assumed.

A lot of them that I have found were attached to metal objects, but then I've also found them in hollow areas of living trees.

----

When in doubt, poke it with a stick.

Hmm...if a magnetic key holder is used NOT around metal, then maybe yu could use a compass to find it....move the compass around close to likely hiding places in the area until the needle moves in an un-natural direction.

Hmm...I think I just got an idea for a micro cache....

ApK

quote:
Originally posted by Brian - Team A.I.:

I am relocating a cache that IS a magnetic key holder, but was not hidden on anything magnetic. In fact, it was about 5' from anything metal and it threw quite a few people for a loop. icon_smile.gif

Brian

Team A.I.

It's people like YOU that make me sick! icon_razz.gif You S.O.B.! icon_mad.gif You're the type that likes to see me out there for 2 or 3 hours looking for something that isn't even in the right spot! icon_confused.gif The RULE is: magnetic key cases MUST be stuck on metal, don't you psychos KNOW THAT? icon_wink.gif