Geocaching Goodies

K6KAW

Here is a partial list of things I've left in caches. Many are under a buck and most are under $3:

Small US flags

US flag pins

modeling clay

carabiners

Energizer squeeze lights

stickers

bags of toy soldiers

Swiss Army knives (now banned )

water colors

mini screwdriver sets

allen wrench sets

gel pens

boxes of crayons or colored chalk

emergency rain ponchos

packs of AA batteries

collectable coins (buffalo nickels, indian head pennies, SBA or Sacagawea dollars)

music CD's

blank RW CD's

cassettes (blank and recorded)

calculators

clip on safety strobes

bungee cords

LED key lights

"euro" stickers & other decals

mini sewing kits

maps (hiking & road)

software

travel packs of Wet Ones or Baby Wipes

Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars

key rings

bags of balloons

velcro fasteners

interesting buttons

padlocks

foreign money

rolls of film

lighters

kazoos

Leatherman type multi tools (now banned )

movies on VHS & DVD

office supplies (packs of paper clips, thumb tacks, Post-Its, etc...)

Mylar emergency blankets

decks of cards

new wallets

individual packs of Armor-All & Rain-X wipes

survival whistles

Wheresgeorge bills and stamps

Geocaching.com hats, pins, patches and compasses

What not to put in caches. Items that you would have ordnarialy have thrown in the garbage. Caches aren't trash bins (though sometimes you wouldn't know it judging by some things people leave).

I've put in Silly Putty and Play Doh before. I read on another post (can't find it now) that the Where's George guys really don't like posted finds from caches...they are trying to track the 'normal' progression of the dollar, and apparently, getting one from a geocache is not 'normal' to them??? :lol:

Signature items are also great thing to leave. We don't use our signature item as a trade item, but always leave one (unless it doesn't fit). There are many cachers who like to collect signature items. Ours is a wooden nickel that says "Boot Group Was Here" on one side. In fact, we recently made on of them into a travel bug for added fun. We've also seen homemade bookmarks, calling cards, magnets, etc....

I've put in Silly Putty and Play Doh before. I read on another post (can't find it now) that the Where's George guys really don't like posted finds from caches...they are trying to track the 'normal' progression of the dollar, and apparently, getting one from a geocache is not 'normal' to them??? ;)

The only restriction on Wheresgeorge is that they won't list a bill that has been moving from cache to cache in their top 10. Finding a bill in a cache is fine.

Quote from "Briansnat"

"Here is a partial list of things I've left in caches. Many are under a buck and most are under $3:

Small US flags

US flag pins

modeling clay

carabiners

Energizer squeeze lights

stickers

bags of toy soldiers

Swiss Army knives (now banned )"

Question?

Why are the swiss army knifes banned?

Question?

The thing with any pocketknife, Swiss army knifes, or leatherman tools. Is the cache may have a few kids visit. And a knife would not be a thing for a 5 year old to get a hold of.

Jim

Question?

The thing with any pocketknife, Swiss army knifes, or leatherman tools. Is the cache may have a few kids visit. And a knife would not be a thing for a 5 year old to get a hold of.

Jim

If 5 year olds are wandering miles into the woods alone they have bigger issues than Swiss army knives in caches. Thankfully the majority of 5 year olds go geocaching with their parents.

The real reason is that some parks have discovered Swiss army kinves in caches and banned geocaches because they contain "weapons'. In response to this TPTB won't list caches that have pocket knives, or Leatherman tools among the contents and discourage using them as trade items.

Edited by briansnat

one item that I saw was once in a cache that we found today was a 'surprise music mix' CDR. I thought that was a GREAT idea. I may do it myself one day...

Some things I put in my first cache:

new 6' extension cord

small C-clamps

mini tire pressure gauge

pocket-size games

super glue

thin CD cases

bungee cord

My wife added a 'Girls only' tin with lip gloss, tiny hair clips, and emery boards

I once read a post here that posted as a guideline: "stuff that you would like to have found in your first cache is what you should put in your caches" I thnk that is a good guideline.

Stuff that people like or that is useful is great. You can do pretty well with stuff under $5 or even under $2. Put some thought into it, and keep your eyes peeled when you're at dollar stores and such.

The only thing i don't like about signature items is that no one wants to really take them out, so caches get full of them. Also, some poeple don't want you to take theirs out and they take stuff then you are stuck with a rock or nut or whatever they put in and its not really any good : \ . Don't forget that some people like AAA batteries instead of AA's. My GPS loooooooooves the AAA's.

I see many great lists of suggestions above. Here are some more I leave:

~Hand sanitizer (Found some 2/$1 at the 99 Cents Only & Dollar Tree chain stores)

~Small packs of Kleenex - BE SURE to ziploc these and anything similar

~Don't Mess With Texas pencils, sports team pencils, and other decorated pencils

(Have wondered how those are going over - I try to leave in kid-friendly caches)

~Small metal ring Puzzles

~Neoprene can & bottle drink holders (aka Koozies around here) - $1 at Wal-mart

~Camo and log-filled micro container in ziploc, marked as Ready to Place Cache

~Batteries are about to be something I leave - they have saved me once!

~Extra ziplocs are something I leave when a cache seems prone to

dampness...future cachers might need them (Got these at a Dollar store too!)

~LOTS of items from the Target Dollar Spot ~

IF you shop at Target, check out this area. It changes seasonally, and sometimes you can grab the clearance at 4/$1. I got ponchos, compasses, and carabiners at that price last year. But even at a buck, they have cool stuff. My latest finds there are water bottles, magic tricks for kids, software, and some fitness items.

I have yet to develop a sig item, but now that I have cached a while, I really want to start leaving one wherever I go. Especially in my new hides...

:D Lost in it all...

I know I have more ideas for items to leave, but the advice to be on the lookout is great.

Edited by Lost in it all...
one item that I saw was once in a cache that we found today was a 'surprise music mix' CDR. 

Just be sure that the copied music isn't pirated. There is a CD exchange cache up here that used to encourage people to provide their own mixes and the local approver asked the cache owner to change the languange on the page to be sure that only legal copies were placed in the cache. Geocaching.com does not what to get "Napstered."