Colorado Cachers, What Do You Like In A Cache?

sleddood

I'd like some input, preferably from Colorado, Utah and Wyoming cachers on what they like in a cache. I'm getting ready to hide my first ones, and need to know what everyone prefers(not that it will change my mind, but you never know).

I've got a couple spots picked out that will be quite a hike in the summer, but you will be able to ride right to them on a snowmobile(could be a several day trek on skis or snowshoes). One of them will be relatively easy, mostly on a trail, but it will be close to a mile hike one way, and about 3 miles if you make the whole loop, rather than just turning back at the cache. The other spot will be less than 1/2 mile, but it is steep and rocky and will likely take much longer than the first to get to.

The reason I'm even asking is that I've noticed that a large number of caches are within spitting distance of a major highway, and I don't particularly care for that experience. I do, however, thoughly enjoy caches that require a comitment and a hike, boatride, fourwheeler ride, etc. Do many cachers share my feelings, or is this just about the numbers and how many finds you can drive to in a day? Don't get me wrong, roadside caches are a nice excuse to take a break, get out of the car and stretch your legs on a trip.

I've also got some ideas for roadside caches, but even they are off the beaten path, maybe a couple miles off the main highway on a gravel road.

i like most all caches, and i try to do a few of all kinds. you must remember that not all cachers are able to do long hikes, or climbs. drive-bys have their place.

things i like to see- some sort of challenge......like a cache that's well hidden. or a puzzle, or cipher. somethng that makes you work for it! i also like a cache to be hidden in a place where i can spend a few minutes lookng thru the log without muggles walking by and seeing me.

i enjoy those caches that are well thought-out. you can tell when someone has put some time or effort in placing the cache. the hide, the view,the container. if the cache is for kids, dont put it dangerous places. be sure the co-ords are accurate. answer all correspondence in a timely fashion.

I don't mind a challenge but sometimes a quick, easy cache is nice (like right now, my toe is broken and I can't hike long distances). The quick easy ones are also appreciated by some disabled cachers or some cachers with small kids.

What I really like is a location that is worthwhile. I love caches in areas with beautiful scenery, something interesting to see, etc. I have found a lot of caches that are hidden just because there's an open spot and there is NOTHING worthwhile about the location. Although I will still look for the cache (I might as well since I drove to the spot), I really don't find them to be interesting.

If a cache is more than a mile away from the start (parking, trail, whatever), I would

like for it to have some meaning instead of just and old blah cache. I like a cache that

makes me go wow or have more enjoyment than just finding the stash (and of course finding it is part of the fun). A couple come to mind. On one, it was off of a heavily traveled road a few hundred feet and in the side of the rocks. Finding the cache was nice but seeing the deer run up the mountain made it more special. Another one is in a park and could be easily muggled (lot of foot traffic). I had never been to this park and probably would have never been there if not for the cache. I have been back three times for pictures of ducks and other birds. It's caches like these that make it special for me.

All of the above being said, I'm not into having caches in people's yards or on public

streets. I have never been comfortable wandering around on the street (unless it's

on Pearl in Boulder). going back and forth looking like I've lost a contact lens. I do

enjoy parks, open spaces, or hiking trail caches. I love taking pictures so anything

picturesque is a plus in my book.

Robert