Geocachers Really Are Different.

sbell111

I realize that geocachers come from all walks of life. I also understand that there are some with hearts of gold, and others as black as coal. Recently, it surprised me to see that differences in behavior can be found.

Recently, I've been selling some stuff on ebay. The items basically belong to two categories. I've sold a bunch of music cds and also some caching stuff; mostly micros and my home-made rocks.

What I found is that buyers of the cds typically pay within 10-14 days via money order. Geocachers tend to pay almost immediately via PayPal. Often, if the cacher is not going to pay in this manner, he/she will shoot me an email explaining when and how payment will be made.

At first, I figured this was due to an inherent geekiness of the average geocacher, but I think this is incorrect. I now believe that this is due to the sense of community that geocachers share.

This isn't exactly on topic but it's close enough.

I have been thinking about this very same thing that cachers are a different lot of people. Sure a "score" is kept on your personal stats but what I found is unique is that if you have 1 find or 1,000 finds you are treated the same on this board or at events. That's kinda cool.

Ken

I have been thinking about this very same thing that cachers are a different lot of people. Sure a "score" is kept on your personal stats but what I found is unique is that if you have 1 find or 1,000 finds you are treated the same on this board or at events. That's kinda cool.

Only someone with exactly 67 posts amd 67 finds would say something like that... :lol::laughing::lol:

The only thing a post/find count is a reflection of is the quantity of time at your disposal. Why should I judge someone solely on how much time they choose to commit to geocaching?

I've met hundreds of geocachers and I agree--they're all friendly, caring, considerate, and all around fun people. Which, sad to say, DOES make them different from the majority of people in this world.

Only someone with exactly 67 posts amd 67 finds would say something like that... :lol::laughing::lol:

The only thing a post/find count is a reflection of is the quantity of time at your disposal. Why should I judge someone solely on how much time they choose to commit to geocaching?

I don't get what you are trying to say here. I have been caching 3 months longer than you and you have 20 times the finds.

My post wasn't about stats.

The longer someone does something the less they remember what it's like to be new at something.

Did you forget what is was like to have 67 finds?

Ken

The only thing a post/find count is a reflection of is the quantity of time at your disposal. 

Or the quality of time....I've seem to be getting much less sleep as of late...I'd rather stay up later at night and catch up on what's going on in these forums than sleep....it's got a hold of me.....

The geocache forums controls my life....it's power is overwhelming my senses.

I must know what is going on.... :laughing:

I don't get what you are trying to say here. I have been caching 3 months longer than you and you have 20 times the finds.

The longer someone does something the less they remember what it's like to be new at something.

Ken

Ken -- believe it or not, I was agreeing with your statement...My smart-alec statement referencing your stats in response to your statement regarding the irrelevance of stats, was nothing more than a smart-alec remark.

My post wasn't about stats either...stats are not reflective of experience, quality, or anything other than the numbers themselves. My point is, all of the geocachers I've met have been great people regardless of whether they just found their first or 5000th find.

I haven't forgotten what it is like to be new to the game. Actually, I remember my first few finds better than most of the more recent ones. I've only been caching for a year and a few months, which still makes me comparatively new to the sport. And as I said, find/post count reflects nothing more than the quantity of time spent caching.

Sorry if I didn't make my point clearer, and I truly meant no offense.

I too have found what the OP is commenting on. Despite all of the different walk of life, educational backgrounds, and other diversities, the fact that we are 'cachers seems to transcend all that to a much greater degree than any other organization I have been involved in. Just one more reason why I'm not too likely to hang up my GPSr anytime in the near future! :blink:

Every cacher I've meet has been a worthwhile individual. There are a few I haven't met who have taken time out of their lives to make a promise to adjust my attitude, steal every cache in the tri county area, and act as my own personal insult comic.

It takes all kinds. I'm happy that the ones I do meet turn out to be great people. The others, well, odds are they aren't the kind you would meet, and if you did they are probably the kind you could look at but not really notice.

Going to an event with random strangers never was my idea of fun. But since geocaching, I've had to re-think that because I have enjoyed meeting cachers.

Don't underestimate the howling desire to get your hands on a new toy right this minute!

That's me! If I have a new cache hide idea brewing in my head and see the perfect container on ebay, I'll just have to have it now!!

Yep, that's me too!! I bought a bunch of ammo cans on eBay that I just couldn't wait to have. We have a few very active geocachers in my area. If I find a good spot I want to get my cache in there before somebody sticks a hide-a-key with a log on a nearby road sign.

I don't get what you are trying to say here.  I have been caching 3 months longer than you and you have 20 times the finds.

Ken

Ken -- believe it or not, I was agreeing with your statement...My smart-alec statement referencing your stats in response to your statement regarding the irrelevance of stats, was nothing more than a smart-alec remark.

My post wasn't about stats either...stats are not reflective of experience, quality, or anything other than the numbers themselves. My point is, all of the geocachers I've met have been great people regardless of whether they just found their first or 5000th find.

I haven't forgotten what it is like to be new to the game. Actually, I remember my first few finds better than most of the more recent ones. I've only been caching for a year and a few months, which still makes me comparatively new to the sport. And as I said, find/post count reflects nothing more than the quantity of time spent caching.

Sorry if I didn't make my point clearer, and I truly meant no offense.

That's o.k. me too. I was having a bad night and it went into the morning. I am not the fastest thinker on the block LOL

I appreciate you for taking the time to respond tho.

Ken

I think the sense of community likely does effect it. Cachers tend to go to events and meet other cachers. They also come across each other through logs and such. There is also just the general sense of sharing a hobby. So a cacher is likely going to feel a greater sense of respect or obligation when purchasing from another cacher. All those CD purchasers and such probably don't know the seller, and likely won't ever come across them through any mutual hobby. Thus, they likely don't feel as if they need to go beyond any normal obligations when making the purchase.