Cache Page Recycling

jaxdman

Has anyone heard of cach page recycling?

Let me explain. I noticed that the number of found caches in my log on geocaching.com went down by one. I also happen to keep a paper log of all the caches I do so I checked the two and found that indeed there was a cache I did that no longer showed as logged on the web site. I did a search on the waypoint and it took me to a completely different cache.

When I asked the owner of the cache about it, he said: "it's called 'cache page recycling'... when I had the geocaching.com approvers recycle the waypoint number, there were two choices, leave the logs on and confuse people because they had not found it, or take them off.".

It seems to me, what should have happend is that he archived the one cache and then created a new one.

Does anyone have any idea of what he is talking about?

Thanks.

There was some talk in another thread about recycling unused cache ID numbers (ones that were assigned to caches that were never approved) but even that was decided to be more trouble then its worth. Sounds to me like someone has taken it upon themselves to do this, perhaps to skirt a new cache approval process.

If all caches were "recycled" in this manner, very few of us would have more then a few dozen finds showing on the site, and an important part of geocaching history (the logs) would be lost.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

If all caches were "recycled" in this manner, very few of us would have more then a few dozen finds showing on the site, and an important part of geocaching history (the logs) would be lost.

On a few occaisions, I've spent quite a lot of time writing long stories and cropped, captioned and uploaded several pictures to illustrate my adventures. It would be an incredible waste of my time if say 2 months from now, my logs and pictures are wiped away! I also enjoy reading about other people's adventures, and wish more people took the time to write more than just "Found quickly, TNLN". Wiping the caches is a serious discouragement to anyone writing about their finds.

(If you're curious, check my profile to read my adventures.)

Oooo. That's bad stuff. I looked and found that my count was 2 lower than I thought it should be. icon_eek.gif

Looked and found that the two that were missing were not archived caches, but live caches. So no recycling there. But I thought for sure I logged them. No apparent reason why the logs should be deleted. Legitimate finds on 12/29/2002.

So I sent an e-mail to the owners asking why my finds were deleted. Then realized (hopefully so) that it might be that I just forgot to log them. So I had to send another e-mail asking if I just never logged them or if they got deleted.

Sheesh. Keeping up with my find count is getting hard. And I've only got 142 (I hope). Can't imagine the 500+ people.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

That was not my intent at all. I was only suggesting using ID's that never got approved, or caches with no logs, could be used again. Either way, it wouldn't have effected anyone's find count in the least.

I can't see a GC.com admin telling a cache owner to delete logs in the first place.

Deleting perfectly legitimate finds is not cool.

CR

72057_2000.gif

I agree! I would be royally upset if someone did that and I started loseing logs! I use my log list to read new logs & check on caches I enjoyed and if some started disappearing I would probably wonder what bug or database problem the site suddenly had.

What cache ID was it that got recycled, and have you asked the Powers that Be about it? This type of thing would probably really upset people if it started happening a lot.

-Jennifer

Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else. (JM Barrie)

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

Looked and found that the two that were missing were not archived caches, but live caches. So no recycling there. But I thought for sure I logged them. No apparent reason why the logs should be deleted. Legitimate finds on 12/29/2002.

I had a similar situation this last week. I had a cache that showed up in my "caches you found" section, but I could not find my cache log. I emailed the owner, asking if he had deleted my log. Clearly, he's more observant than I am, because he found my log: on the wrong date! icon_rolleyes.gif I had made a stupid typo. I went back and fixed the typo, and now all's well.

I agree that it's hard to keep up with the founds after a while. I am starting a scrapbook so that I can record photos of our finds and such, so that I have a record of where I went and what I put into the log.

Shannah

In my experience with the owner of the same cache that jaxdman had the problem with, the owner of the cache made it sound like the admin of Geocaching deleted the logs. This is what he said.

"well, I'm sorry.

but you should know I did not "take the liberty of deleting all of the logs" I changed the cache page and asked for it to be re-approved and when they did they deleted them."

I found a travel bug with a laminated card that said to log into the website to find out what the bug's goal is. I decided to leave the bug in the cache. I logged a note on the bug page instead, saying that I spotted the bug in a particular cache. I did not log it out and back in, I just left a one line note.

I usually won't move a bug because some people get bent when you can't help it with the goal. I'm not sure if the bug owner was offended by the fact that I didn't move it, but for some reason deleted my note. It feels like history was tampered with.

I had a cache that got totally destroyed when the area it was in was bulldozed and all the debris hauled away. After waiting about 6 months, I placed a new cache - about 100 feet away from the first.

I changed the name, and the "story", and made a radical change to the trade goods.

I didn't delete any of the original finds and in fact, I wouldn't delete anyone's find if they find the new one and had found the previous edition. The area it is in is hard to get to.

wave.gif

My comment is not about the recycling of cache pages, but about the mysteriously disappearing logs some have mentioned above.

This happened with a cacher in my area: Someone created a virtual at our local zoo (that I haven't logged yet). A cacher went out and logged it first, emailed the owner with the necessary answers and all was well. After a span of days I was checking the local cache list and noticed that the zoo virtual showed up with no finds! I emailed the cacher who logged it and asked if I had gone insane and imagined the log. They said no, they'd logged it all right. They emailed the owner, who said he didn't delete the log and suggested that the cacher should just re-log his find.

Chalk it up as a computer glitch? Conspiracy? Mass hysteria?? icon_eek.gif

Probably happens a lot considering the sheer number of 'transactions' going on around this site - kudos to TPTB who keep it working as smoothly as it does!

Remember that happiness is a way of travel, not a destination. - Roy M. Goodman