Topo Map Software Question.

KYHilltopper

I use a GPS76 which is not a mapping unit and have decided to get a software package to print topo maps. I will need multiple states as I live, cache and hike in KY but am close to the state lines of Tenn, Ill and Mo. The two software packages that seem to be the most popular are NG and DeLorme. Any comments on the comparison of these or is there one I missed and should consider?

KyHilltopper // Clint

You may also want to take a look at ExpertGPS.

It allows (free) downloads of topos as well as aerial photos for the whole country (via MS Terraserver data). In addition to this, it is a powerful waypoint/route/track manager, allowing you to generate routes/tracks and then upload them to your gps before a trip, as well as downloading any data collected by your unit while you were out.

My $.02 . . . I bought NG Topo, and the maps are pretty good, but only at 100k resolution. To get 24K resolution, you have to spring for additional maps, at about $100 per state. I live in Texas, so it may be a pretty good bargain for me, but if you straddle a state line, you probably need to get both, which is quite an investment. Here is a review of Topo.

No experience with DeLorme, sorry.

You may want to check out a free web-based product called TerraClient, which is pretty slick, and free! It features satellite images with a map overlay on which you can adjust the intensity.

What about Delorme's Topo USA® 5.0? ... How do they compare to 7.5 quad topos?

Not well. They look to me as if they're based on maps at about a 1:100000 scale (like Garmin's US Topo), but with added contour lines interpolated. As a result they miss many of the smaller topographic features but the added contour lines make it look like the land is smooth there. It also creates artifacts like contour lines that cross lakes and rivers that sometimes appear to flow uphill for short stretches.

DeLorme also has the 3D-TopoQuad maps which are based on the 7.5' USGS maps, but they're more expensive.

I searched DeLorme's website and can not find what states/areas are covered by the East/West CDs. It is critical because I live in an area where the divide very well might be the Mississippi River and that would put some of what I'm interested in on the west side, meaning I'd have to buy the whole package.

I dunno....