Software For Moving Laptop

TinAbbey

What software (shareware or not) would I want to download or buy so that I could track my movement say in a car with a laptop and my handheld GPS serially connected to the laptop. I would wanna see my location as well as others I have stored in my GPS as well as possibly place names from a basemap. At some point I'd like to be able to have a laptop and GPS in my car that would be useful on long drives and so I could see a large view of the screen and not have to look at a small handheld screen.

I do exactly what you are asking about on a regular basis. Everytime I go caching. I use a Garmin GPSr, so I already have all the Garmin MapSource software loaded into the Laptop. It is really useful for multi caches when you have to find new waypoints. Just drop a wp on the map, edit it, and then shoot it into the GPSr. It is way cool for trips too. I call it my "live road amp".

It also makes planning a caching trip much easier.....you have all the waypoints visible, so you can determine the best route to take.

When you get that setup, you will be hooked.

JayBee

I do exactly what you are asking about on a regular basis. Everytime I go caching. I use a Garmin GPSr, so I already have all the Garmin MapSource software loaded into the Laptop. It is really useful for multi caches when you have to find new waypoints. Just drop a wp on the map, edit it, and then shoot it into the GPSr. It is way cool for trips too. I call it my "live road amp".

It also makes planning a caching trip much easier.....you have all the waypoints visible, so you can determine the best route to take.

When you get that setup, you will be hooked.

JayBee

You could also add in nroute 2.0 from Garmin for free and have it speak out the turns.