Which One

Haicoole

I am now ready to start thinking about replacing my Etrex Legend after the recent flambe incident. I had borrowed a magellen sport trak. I found the screen a bit clunky. I will be using a Magellan GPS315 for a while, and I think it will be even more rudimentary.

I liked the Legend, in fact it was my second one (the first having been stolen) But found the support to be a bit lacking (understatement there, I could never get past the 'did you download the new software" autmatic reply) AND I think my aging eyes need something a bit larger.

On the other hand, I do have the map set for it, and I know how it works. (as in better the devil you know) and it did fit nicely in my pocket

I have a lovely pocket pc, and was wondering about the GPS units that plug into them.

So I guess what I am asking is what do you like, and not like, about specific units that are on the market today?

I agree with the other folks. If you are going to have two units, it is a lot easier if they use the same maps, software, and generally similar methods of operation.

Any of the newest Garmin color mapping units would be a great choice. Choose the 76C/CS if you like the larger case style, buttons at the top of the screen, and larger memory. Choose the 60C/CS if you like the smaller case, buttons on the bottom, and can live with less memory.

I have a 60CS and it has plenty of memory for me to hold all the maps I could possibly need on a weekend road trip.

I agree with the other folks. If you are going to have two units, it is a lot easier if they use the same maps, software, and generally similar methods of operation.

Any of the newest Garmin color mapping units would be a great choice. Choose the 76C/CS if you like the larger case style, buttons at the top of the screen, and larger memory. Choose the 60C/CS if you like the smaller case, buttons on the bottom, and can live with less memory.

I have a 60CS and it has plenty of memory for me to hold all the maps I could possibly need on a weekend road trip.

Yep, I have to agree as well.

Get a 60c/s or 76c/s (the 76cs if you can afford it), they make a great travel companion for more than just geocaching.

Keep the legend as a backup or when you want to travel light.

the 60cs has 56 megs of memory, i think.

I know I loaded topo and city select for all of north georgia and athens and i still had some left over. unless you need two states loaded with topo and city data, i dont see the need for +100 megs.

For Population Dense states you need a lot of room for city street maps. For Big states you need a lot of room for topo. For states that are both like Texas, and California you would probably use a lot of memory to have the mapset for your normal travel range.

It is somewhat silly that Garmin has not yet used industry standard memory cards. The unit might be more waterproof with only internal memory, but that is about the only benefit I can see.

My Streetpilot III has their proprietary card, but I sure wish my 60CS had the capability to use a standard card. Although I am definitely a fan of Garmin GPSr's, I think Magellan is setting a good example and hopefully raising the bar for Garmin in this area. I don't think Garmin would lose much if i were able to buy generic/industry standard memory cards. I'd just have more money to spend on a nicer Garmin GPSr.

However, I load up almost all of Alabama (both street and topo maps) and some of the major cities in nearby states in my 60CS. Since I travel with a laptop, it really isnt much of an issue.

If you live in dense areas of the country with maps that use lots of memory, do your best to pick and choose the maps that are going to be most useful to you. You can really stretch your available memory if you can accomplish this. . . .

Edited by YuccaPatrol