Newbie wants help on what unit to purchase

Life Journey

Hi - I've been lurking here for awhile, and have finally decided to take the plunge. Now I need to buy a unit. I don't want to spend a lot right now, until I'm sure I'm really hooked and NEED more functions.

This is what I've narrowed things down to:

Garmin etrex - I can get this for $99 from Amazon, but I suspect it may be being discontinued, since I also see the Geko 101 and 201 for $89 and $119 respectively.

Magellan Meridian 'Yellow' - I found this at www.gpsonsale.com for $119 after a $50 rebate, and it includes the MapSend Streets USA CD-ROM.

OK, here are my questions:

The Magellan seems a good deal, in fact almost too good a deal (something which seems too good probably is). It seems the main advantage of this unit is the map capability, which I think I could live without, but has a certain 'cool' appeal (I hope I am not showing my age here!)

The etrex's simplicity appeals to me. I have a tendency to overbuy things, with a lot of functions I never use, because I really don't have time to study a manual.

I'd love to hear some pros and cons on these two units, and any opinion of the 'gpsonsale' site. I'm really looking forward into getting into this, I was surprised to see caches near me, since here in Lousisiana, we are usually last to get into anything!

"I took the road less travelled by, and that has made all the difference"

Hi,

I'm also a newbie, but I did alot of research before I purchased. I decided on the Garmin eTrex Legend. I got it on Amazon.com for $189 +$50 rebate, so net was $139. They offer free shipping on it if you can wait a few extra days.

One of the reasons I chose the Garmin was that although I have both a PC and a Mac, I eventually want to use it totally on my Mac -- and the software of choice that I've read about for that is MacGPS Pro and they are only compatible with the Garmin.

Plus I read many recommendations about the size and weight and features of it. And for $40 more than the yellow eTrex, I get maps, WAAS and a few other features.

I also try to remember when making purchases like this is that you usually get what you pay for.

I hope that helped.

quote:

Garmin etrex - I can get this for $99 from Amazon, but I suspect it may be being discontinued, since I also see the Geko 101 and 201 for $89 and $119 respectively.

Word reached me that indeed the basic Etrex

is to be discontinued in the next couple

of months. I do not know that this is a

major problem, however. After all, it does

share quite a few of its accessories with

the more advanced Etrex models (such as

the Legend and the Vista) and even the

Geko 201, which replaces it. I own one

myself and like it a lot. But if mapping

and other features are of importance to

you, choose carefully.

I second the vote for mapping. Sometimes the hardest and most time-consuming part about finding the cache is finding a place to park the car. If you can swing it, go for a GPS that accepts route programming and displays maps. I have a Vista - the electronic compass is neat, but a $5 compass will do the same thing, and it will still work if your batteries die. But the 24Mb of map memory is what really makes the Vista desirable - you can load an awful lot of map data in 24Mb. If that one seems too expensive, the Legend, with 8Mb of memory, does everything the Vista does except the altimeter and compass, for less $$.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers, and those who don't.

For what I believe is the best bang for the $$$$$, the Garmin E-Trex Venture is the way to go. It has a much better display and longer battery life than most of the Magellan units. Then start with EasyGPS (which is free) for your software, and you are on your way. Upgrade to ExpertGPS when you are ready.

This will serve you well for most outdoor activities. You shouldn't even need to upgrade... unless you decide you need mapping on the GPSr. I have never missed not having mapping. I use ExpertGPS to set in routes and tracks, if I think I need one.

Hope this helps.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

After getting bit in the a$$ at buying a PC I outgrew within 6 months, I learned there is one maxim that usually holds true... buy as much as you can afford. It saves on upgrading costs later. I bought the Meridian Platinum for its memory expansion and bells and whistles because they fit with the information I like to have at hand without fumbling with more gadgets.

At this writing, I have owned the unit 4 months, and I have used each feature more than once. The only downside I have with this MeriPlat, is the battery life really sucks at 9 to 10 hours and I just reached the end of my use once batteries I bought at the first of the year. My next purchase will be rechargeables to lessen the ownership cost.

Cheers!

TL

Here's a bunch of what people have said on this forum about both units.

Magellan topo software includes all street names, Garmin does not offer street names with their topo software.

Magellan GPS will display terrain projection, Garmin will not.

Meridian has expandable memory, Garmin models do not.

Magellan models have instructions built into the GPS, Garmin models do not.

Magellan is offer Rebates on all models that display a map, Garmin is offering rebates on Legend and Vista.

Magellan is offering rebates on software, Garminis not.

I'd have to suggest the Meridian just for the expandable memory alone. Just get the base model and a 128meg sd card. Your maps will be larger than what can fit in the Garmin. With the memory card and a usb card writer, you dont have to wait hours for umpteen megabytes to transfer through the serial port as is reported in other threads on the Garmins.

Magellans with their Quad Helix Antennas, are going to get better reception over the patch antennas under tree cover. Also, for car use, the magellans are better because of the biggers screen and much bigger mapping memory.

I have had a Legend for several months after 5 years with a Garmin II. A couple of weeks ago I found a Mapsend CD in a cache, and then I saw the Meridian Greens for $99.99, so I got one. Here is my comparison:

Legend:

Great small size (is mistaken for a cell phone) and best screen resolution in a handheld. Great for using one-handed while walking. It has a better base map and a good, intuitive interface. It is extremely accurate, and seems to process changes in direction/bearing quickly. Very good tracking features.

Meridian Green/Yellow: (If you get a card and map--same usablility as Gold model.) Bigger screen (but worse resolution) and best when used in a car or boat, because it works best when vertical--because it has a helix antenna. It gets a lock better under heavy cover/trees/in vehicle. It has some nice features like a comment field for waypoints, that EasyGPS will fill with the cache name.

The versatility of the SD card is impressive. You can load topo, road and marine maps all on card and switch between them. I have a 128MB card which is much bigger than the Legend's 8MB, and you can use a card reader. The proximity/anchor alarms are nice.

icon_wink.gif I have to agree with DUANT. I have had alot of gps units and the Meridian series is very adaptable because of the SD card. Although the Garmin handhelds are small, The Meridians aren't that much bigger and the screen is larger and easy to read. You can load different maps on SD cards and just switch them instead of downloading each time.

Also as another plug for Magellan, I tried to upload the ver 4.06 OS Software and hosed up my flash memory (I have done this before and I became careless) So I had to send it back to Magellan. The customer service rep was great and the I got the unit back after Two days!--Great turnaround. Plus the sent me a canvass carring case,an extra data cable,a new manual and another cd of the manual. I didn't need them but it was a very pleasant surprise.

I also put a screen protector on and that has been very useful.

I have purchased the basic etrex yellow. I have

found as a basic unit, you really cannot go wrong.

#1 It is light for geo-treking or just carrying in your pocket.

#2 It does not do alot but get you there. So it

does not use alot of batteries.

#3 Can be used as a back-up later, in the event

you would like to get a more powerful unit.

#4 Now comes in CAMO.

#5 Very easy unit to learn

I have used a PLGR in the military, and I am surprised how well and how cheap this

technology can be utilized by all. ETREX beats the PLGR for usability and it is accurate enough.

And what does the military pay for thier units?

$1,000 or maybe $2,000. Once SA was lifted, all

the civilian units are very accurate to within

50 feet.

I am a MAC user too, but have not tried to

download maps yet. Have a friend who uploads

the routes to his computer (from etrex) onto TOPO maps

fom national geographic site. Then he has his

routes on a map.

my two cents worth,

psyopwak

Magellan Meridian Platinum is going for $249 +shipping at Comp-U-Plus

With the exception of color and external antenna jack, this guy has it all. An SD card can be had for cheap at Costco, or shop around on the net for one.

I have had no problems with satellite lock even when gaining one under heavy canopy (although it took maybe 2 minutes longer), so the lack of hooking an external antenna is academic. Yes, buying a separate compass will help you buy a cheaper unit, but who here really enjoys fumbling with more than one gadget when tracking your location? (Let's see a hand count on that one.) The 3-axis floating compass is very handy for a quick bearing fix. Keep that $5 compass handy as a backup (I do). I primarily use the electronic floating compass, but I personally like keeping one hand free for holding the dog on leash when necessary, or for when I slip and have to catch myself.

Now, if you decide to get this or any other unit with a floating compass, one thing I have recently learned about GEOCache hunting is to use the satellites for GPS North Reference, as this is how most people are gaining their fixes for location of their cache. It'll mean the difference of about 50-60 feet closer when you have an EPE of 30 feet.

Cheers!

TL

Well, I am waiting to go home and find my Garmin eTrex Legend waiting for me. I did a lot of research and this unit seemed to be a middle of the road in its abilities. Sounded like a good 1st time user GPS and the price was great (also got it through Amazon.com and getting the $50 rebate). Once I bought all the gadgets to go w/ it (carrying case, car cigarette adapter, and car mount) it cost me just around $200 (those little parts add up). So you can keep that in mind when pricing as well. Looking forward to geocaching!

Stick wiht Garmin. Etrex line of gps's are top notch and DURABLE! I should know...my old etrex summit should have quit on me for good...but it still worked after dismantling and drying out the parts.

If budget wasn't a concern, I'd say hte Vista, but since you aren't sure you need all the features...I'd go with Legend adn get it from Amazon.com. Great prices plus 50 dollar rebate. I got my vista for just over 320 including one day shipping adn state tax. I live in Washington. If you're out of state, You can probably get the unit for 300 or less so if this within your budget, I'd seriosly look at the Vista...24 memb vs 8 for the legend. Anyway, either of those units will do a great job.

As for Magellan, stay away! Yes, their prices are good, but they are not durable when compared to etrexes. I've persnally heard a couple different reports of screen cracking within the first year of use, etc.

You will be very happy with a Garmin Etrex.

Hi Evergreen - it's interesting you write - you know, this morning I'd just about decided on the Meridian - but during the day someone here at the office mentioned they'd heard of screen problems on Magellan - so now I'm torn again. I think they said the problem was something with screen visibility. I wish I could find the Meridian somewhere around me so I could see it first.

quote:
Originally posted by Life Journey:

Hi Evergreen - it's interesting you write - you know, this morning I'd just about decided on the Meridian - but during the day someone here at the office mentioned they'd heard of screen problems on Magellan - so now I'm torn again. I think they said the problem was something with screen visibility. I wish I could find the Meridian somewhere around me so I could see it first.

Well, I'd go Garmin. Deals at Amazon.com are great. I trust them.

But it's your money and you should try both in your hands before buying. Some people are really happy with their Magellans. It's like macs vs pcs. I happen to be on the Garmin side, but do try both out and see which interface you like best.

You will be using this guy an awful a lot so whichever is easiest to use. I like the etrexes due to their small sizes, durability, and just as important, interface. I can practically do everything with one hand...even while driving at times though I don't recommend this. Good luck with your decision.

There was a known problem with spotty luminescence with the backlighting, and Magellan is very good about responding to repairs of this usually replacing with a new unit rather than send you back a repaired unit.

Otherwise, the visibility of the screen is no different from a greyscale PDA or cellphone and the same holds true with the Garmin.

I do understand the new color screens get washed out in bright sunlight.

I agree with evergreenhiker! that this is going to be very subjective to personal perspective. Try quick glances versus spending time studying the screen in dim as well as bright lighting.

The physical size of the units wasn't that big of a deal to me, and I usually put my MeriPlat in a belt pouch if I'm not wearing a shirt or jacket with pocket big enough to hold it.

Cheers!

TL