Irish Caches

(Discussion moved from Kidnapped TBs as OT)

undefinedAs they clearly state in the description that they placed the cache while on holiday, how did it ever get past the reviewers?

I don't know. Perhaps the following mail template should be sent out during the approval process...

--------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Cacher,

In respect of your cache in Ireland, submitted for approval on <date>, please complete the following questionnaire, and act according to the results thereof...

1) Did you place the cache during a holiday/ business trip/ works outing/ turbulent love affair/ term of imprisonment/ in Ireland? Y/N

2) Was your GPS unit set to WGS84 when you placed the cache? Y/N

3) Are you sure? (Because IG65 would set it about 200ft away from its coordinates.) Y/N

4) Have you since changed your e-mail address, so that no-one can contact you? (Answer not required)

5) Does your cache contain any weapons which have been "placed beyond use" as part of the Decommissioning Process? Y/N

6) Does your cache description page contain references to any of the following: John Wayne, Maureen O'Hara, Bill Clinton, the IRA, Leprechauns. Y/N

If the answer to any of the above questions is "YES", please return to Ireland and remove the cache as soon as possible.

Regards,

<name>

Yes, right! And perhaps Eckington and I should personally visit every cache as part of the review process.

I am well aware of the rule about holiday caches, and in this case (as in the case of every other apparent holiday cache that gets approved) the placer had made arrangements for a local cacher to maintain and look after it. Often these arrangements are made known to us in Reviewers' Notes which are removed as part of the approval process.

If a cache is in the wrong place, due possibly to a wrong datum being used, the first couple of DNF's will sort it out. In the case of GB caches, I can pinpoint a cache using Memory Map software and can generally spot such a mistake and in these cases I e-mail the placer before releasing it. Unfortunately these maps do not cover Ireland and I have to rely on much more sketchy data.

All users are contactable by e-mail through their profile.

I will not pass comment on your other suggestions.

We found this cache while on holiday our log will show our opinion of getting co ordinates wrong on a holiday cache.

You found GCJWQY ?

Well done. (Your log hasn't appeared on the page, yet.)

I hope you kept a note of the correct location - I predicted it should be at or close to: N52 08.846 W9 58.855 - but it's at the wrong end of Ireland for me to check that, personally...

:lol:

Edited by wildlifewriter
We found this cache while on holiday our log will show our opinion of getting co ordinates wrong on a holiday cache.

You found GCJWQY ?

Well done. (Your log hasn't appeared on the page, yet.)

I hope you kept a note of the correct location - I predicted it should be at or close to: N52 08.846 W9 58.855 - but it's at the wrong end of Ireland for me to check that, personally...

:blink:

Wrong :D they have a typical number transcription error ie what two numbers most often get confused log should be posted tonight we have 18 odd logs to do from the last fortnight. We did get a bit concerned with the number of descriptions that said "placed this cache while on vacation/holiday etc"

Yes we have new co-ords shall put them in the log. BTW can anyone other than the owner change the co ords at the top?

edited to add smiley and last line :D

Edited by markandlynn
Good job! :D
BTW can anyone other than the owner change the co ords at the top?

I think that either of the approvers can do it, if the discrepancy is brought to their attention. Apparently, they cannot visit every cache on a regular basis, to check these things.

Pure laziness, I call it... :blink:

It is now up and logged they had written 0.884 in the westing instead of 0.334 making the co ord o.33 miles out but close enough for a reviewer on a map if they had one to see. and the place fitted the description. Ileave my thoughts on the log page.

...close enough for a reviewer on a map if they had one to see. and the place fitted the description

Well done, again. But...

Having poked fun at the reviewers already, in this thread, I must now defend them:

Bearing in mind that they... 1) Have no detailed digital maps for ROI, 'cos there ain't any... 2) Had the original cache page to work from, no DNF logs at that time, and... 3) may not have ever BEEN to the area...

I don't think the reviewer could have been expected to catch this one straight off the bat. Looking now at the 1:50000 paper map (sheet 71), in fact, I'm sure of it.

Fully agree with you though, about holiday caches in general - stamp 'em out! :blink:

...close enough for a reviewer on a map if they had one to see. and the place fitted the description

Well done, again. But...

Having poked fun at the reviewers already, in this thread, I must now defend them:

Bearing in mind that they... 1) Have no detailed digital maps for ROI, 'cos there ain't any... 2) Had the original cache page to work from, no DNF logs at that time, and... 3) may not have ever BEEN to the area...

I don't think the reviewer could have been expected to catch this one straight off the bat. Looking now at the 1:50000 paper map (sheet 71), in fact, I'm sure of it.

Fully agree with you though, about holiday caches in general - stamp 'em out! :blink:

Sorry meant say a reviewer would not of been able to spot this problem on a map appologies if it came out wrong.

back to eats shoots and leaves

I leave my thoughts on the log page.

Well done on solving the Irish Question :D

Wrong end of Ireland for me too. BUT I can't understand the swinging arrow theory :blink: .

Surely the arrow will point to the incorrect co-ords. It has no way to tell which way is the intended correct way so what do swings of 90, 180, 270 mean?

Please don't leave me dangling

I can't understand the swinging arrow theory

It's a (moderately) interesting problem: I had a similar situation to deal with, years ago, when setting out service positions for the Circuit of Ireland car rally. This was OSI grid ref, rather than GPS co-ords, but Mark's principle is valid...

I had been given a six-figure reference. All I knew was: the general location, and the fact that it lay somewhere along a certain road in that location.

One part of the reference looked reasonable, but the other was clearly a mistake. The sensible part gave me a perpendicular line on the map AND the road itself gave me a datum for the duff part.

Unfortunately, it turned out that there were two possible solutions. We picked the right one - otherwise Jimmy McRea (father of Colin) would have lost, and the entire course of World History would have been changed. (Or, possibly, not.)

If you work on the assumption (i know!) that one set of co ords is wrong and the other is correct (two errors on tow sets of numbers seems unlikely) then if the N is correct the cache lies along a very long line in the norther hemispere. As we were walking along another known line (the dingle way) and were assured it was on this path we had two sides of an equilateral triangle so at the appropriate bearing line to the cache we had the other side simple really?

Topic needs pinning or locking off now please.

Agreed.

Done B)

(PS: he has now updated the cache page - apparently it's all YOUR fault for looking in the position given, instead of staying on the path! ... and the co-ords at the top of the page are STILL wrong... )

Words fail me... and that IS unusual. :)

Edited by wildlifewriter