Jeffco Open Space Permit System

CO Admin

This may help to explain the new system for permits on Jefferson County OPen spaces.

Jefferson County Open Space allows geocaching on its parks and

properties. Cache owners must acquire a Special Activity Permit prior

to placing a cache or box on any park or property. This ensures that no

caches are placed in sensitive areas, closed areas, or seasonally closed

areas. Furthermore, unattended objects of any sort on parks are

considered litter or abandoned property and will be removed. If permits

are acquired, caches will not be considered litter or abandoned property

and will be an approved placement of an object. Finally, the permits

serve as an inventory of all placements on Open Space to assist in

monitoring caches to ensure for a safe and enjoyable geocaching

experience.

Please visit the Jefferson County Open Space website at

http://co.jefferson.co.us/ext/dpt/comm_res...nspac/index.htm to

find maps which delineate parks and properties. You may also visit

http://co.jefferson.co.us/ext/dpt/comm_res...spac/permit.htm to

get a copy of the permit application. Permits for the activity of

geocaching are free of charge.

Finally, JCOS supports a single permit for all caches listed on the

website. As administrators of the website, should you elect to acquire

a permit for all the cache owners listed, this would mean you would be

the contact and responsible party for any communications, concerns or

problems associated with any cache. The single permit would list all

current caches that are in compliance with our regulations, which appear

to be almost all, and would require you to submit all new cache requests

for approval. Annually, there would be an update of the permit to list

the new caches and delete archived ones.

I hope this helps to clarify things and I'm looking forward to working

with everyone to provide some fun and exciting geocaching experiences.

Colleen Gadd

Visitor & Resource Protection Supervisor

Jefferson County Open Space

I have contacted Colleen and offered to act at the Single permit contact person.

Ill keep everyone updated. Ms Gladd is a very nice person who seems to understand both the needs of Jeffco and Geocachers.

CO Admin,

This is great news for us JeffCO cachers! I'm glad they didn't decide to go the same path as Boulder. :blink:

I'm a newbie cacher and will spend the next few months searching out the already stashed caches but will eventually one day want to start my own. I'm sure others on the board will have these questions in the future.

Since you have offered to be the point of contact, what do we need to do to place a new cache? Since all caches will be using the same permit, do we just go ahead and place the cache then give you the information (gps coords, type of cache, etc) and then remove the cache if approval is not given for that site or do you want another guideline followed? Any idea how long approvals take?

Is there already a permit number on file? This information may be of help if someone is stopped by an open space worker (hopefully the workers already know about this though).

Thanks again for being the contact. Having one contact point should help makes things go smoothly and help us keep in good standing with JeffCo.

Robert

CO Admin,

This is great news for us JeffCO cachers! I'm glad they didn't decide to go the same path as Boulder. B)

I'm a newbie cacher and will spend the next few months searching out the already stashed caches but will eventually one day want to start my own. I'm sure others on the board will have these questions in the future.

Since you have offered to be the point of contact, what do we need to do to place a new cache? Since all caches will be using the same permit, do we just go ahead and place the cache then give you the information (gps coords, type of cache, etc) and then remove the cache if approval is not given for that site or do you want another guideline followed? Any idea how long approvals take?

Is there already a permit number on file? This information may be of help if someone is stopped by an open space worker (hopefully the workers already know about this though).

Thanks again for being the contact. Having one contact point should help makes things go smoothly and help us keep in good standing with JeffCo.

Robert

as soon as i have the answers i will post them.

I'm a little confused. The way the tread reads you only need one permit for all the caches placed but the info I got from Co Admin it looks like everyone who places a cache has to submit a app.

The app I down loaded does not really apply to geocaching and I have not gotten any responce from Jeffco Open space yet to clarify what needs to be done.

Has anyone gotten a permit that I need to add my cache too or does everyone need their own? I'm confused :rolleyes:

Finally got a responce from Jeffco :) . The person to ask all the questions on permit approval is Kathy Dewise 303-271-5981. See is very easy to talk too.

I am working with her on a multi. It took some explaining and a lot of info faxed in with the permit but I think after all that they understand what it is. Just wiating on permit number know.

Jeffco now has guidlines in place. Just to let everyone know they are allowing only a certain number of caches in each park or open space. The spot I picked only allows one and i'm it WOOHOO ;) . Unfortuitly if they only allow one in a park that means no multis, two in a park means one two stage multi and no other caches ect.. Also the permits will be valid for one year from Jan. 1 to Dec. 31. Please when you talk to them thank them for working with us and not being close minded like other counties in our area. If we practice good caching habits and CITO they may loosen up in the future, ya never know. Also mention CITO when you submit your paperwork they realy like that.

Jeffco now has guidlines  in place. Just to let everyone know they are allowing only a certain number of caches in each park or open space. The spot I picked only allows one and i'm it WOOHOO ;) . Unfortuitly if they only allow one in a park that means no multis, two in a park means one two stage multi and no other caches ect.. Also the permits will be valid for one year from Jan. 1 to Dec. 31. Please when you talk to them thank them for working with us and not being close minded like other counties in our area. If we practice good caching habits and CITO they may loosen up in the future, ya never know. Also mention CITO when you submit your paperwork they realy like that.

:tired: We pay their wages and they tell us what we can do. Excuse Me!!

Only one cache and no multis, etc. etc. Who is running this game. And CITO is a bunch of JUNK, only a small amount of cachers show up in comparison to the number that benefit (suck Up) the results of anothers labor.

And what is a guidlines, maybe a rope to keep you on the trail less you step on the precious foilage.

"two in a park means one two stage multi and no other caches ect. " , And how in the heck can a two stage multi mean there are two caches, Is not a multi cache listed on the Lilly Pad as one cache with one GC#. Does ECT stand for extra Cache territory.

Nice job shooting at the messenger. If you have a problem with the rules contact Jeffco and make shore you let them now that your feelings reguarding their rules are the way we all feel. I don't recall your name being brought up among the people that were working with them on the guidlines. Thats right nobody cared enough when they were setting the guidelines so now we can complain about them. Yikes, with attitudes like that no wonder places like Boulder flat out say no. At least there open to the idea of our sport and the people that I personaly spoke with including rangers had more questions to ask, and got more excited about what we do, then rules to lay down. They think it is a great use of the open space and are excited to learn all they can about it.

It only takes one person to practice CITO to make it a nicer place for all of us. What the heck is wrong with that. So, when I see trash when I'm caching I should leave all the trash I see because not enough people give a cr*p that its there? Or better yet don't mention it at all and do whatever you want because its a waist of time anyway. If you don't like the idea leave the trash lay because nobody cares anyway or maybe they could raise our taxes a little more, for trail trash collectors, so that none of us have to do anything and everyone can throw whatever they want anywhere they went. Wouldn't that be great!