Member Only Caches

I'm doing a members only cache soon because I can count on members putting the cache back the way they found it (it will be a little complicated), Also, I like the idea of putting better things in the caches for the cachers that have found 300/500/ 1000 caches. They deserve something out of ordinary.

Wow, I never realized that paid members ALL had 300+ finds, and everyone of them replaces the cache as they found it perfectly :lol:

I'm doing a members only cache soon because I can count on members putting the cache back the way they found it ...

Also, I like the idea of putting better things in the caches for the cachers that have found 300/500/ 1000 caches. They deserve something out of ordinary.

Its your cache. Make it a MOC if you want. I think you will find, however, that there is little difference between the caching procedures of members and non-members. Members merely paid for a membership. My experience has been that members will screw up the resetting of a cache as often as non-members, maybe more often. ;)

I recall caching with my brother back in 2001. He had never cached before, but he was the most anal person in the world with regards to watching out for muggles and perfectly replacing the caches. :lol:

I think its funny that your post tends to make it appear that all members have 'high' find counts when yours is not. Don't get me wrong. I think its great that you are a member and I am not nocking your totals. It just struck me as funny. :(

Edited by sbell111

well! I thought I would learn a few things about Geocaching from following the threads... this thread did not disappoint.

I have learned that:

1) MOC's vs NonMOC's topic is BOUND to start sparks and flames

2) paid Members will always try to get non paid's to join up, consciously or otherwise

3) I shall never cease to be amazed how seriously posters can treat the trivial

If you want to pay your dues and put out MOC's fine, wonderful, more power to ya.

If you don't ( for whatever reason) Fine knock yourself out.

Otherwise Who really gives a flip?

well!  I thought I would learn a few things about Geocaching from following the threads... this thread did not disappoint. 

I have learned that:

1) MOC's vs NonMOC's topic is BOUND to start sparks and flames

2) paid Members will always try to get non paid's to join up, consciously or otherwise

3) I shall never cease to be amazed how seriously posters can treat the trivial

If you want to pay your dues and put out MOC's fine, wonderful, more power to ya.

If you don't ( for whatever reason)  Fine knock yourself out.

Otherwise Who really gives a flip?

You're incorrect about #2. I wasn't a paid member until the creation of the OT Forum and its being a Premium Member feature. I had considered becoming a paid member before that, but I've not been caching very long (just since the end of March), and I just didn't feel the need to pay for a membership at this point. Though I was spurred to become a paid member because of the OT forum, there are numerous other reasons to join.

BUT.......I will defend to the end anyone's right NOT to become a premium member. And I will look with shame on those premium members who look down on non-paying members and attempt to convince said members that they are not giving to the sport or this website like they should, because I just don't believe that's true.

The opinions of a relative few are not the opinions of everyone, by any means, thank goodness. I found that out in the last week. As someone pointed out to me, there will always be bullies.

Edited by Pipanella
...I am going to make every cache I set from now on a Premium and Charter Members only for the first month. ...

Please comment I would like to hear other geocachers view on my proposal

Although I have considered placing PM only caches, I decided against it.

Reason: Many of the people that visit my caches aren't paid members and I don't want to exclude anyone. I get more enjoyment over being someones "First Cache" than being #763 for a seasoned paid member. I also get more e-mails from newbies and love to participate in their excitement over discovering this wonderful game.

So, while I don't generally like PM only caches, I can see your approach and it's really not a bad idea (first month PM only then open it up). As for me, I'll continue including any and all and welcoming "First Timers".

well!  I thought

You're incorrect about #2. I wasn't a paid member until the creation of the OT Forum and its being a Premium Member feature.

okay, poor word choice on my part... Should have read "there will always be a few..."

You wouldn't be planning on hiding any of those  "member's only" caches in public parks supported by non paying "Slackers", would you? I'd hate to think that a closed private group would be using a public facility for an ongoing activity.

I'd like to see Colonel Mustard's response addressed in some way. It does seem that MOCs in public, taxpayer supported parks is just asking for a legal hassle at some point.

Just for the record: I'm not a paying member; I was thinking about becoming one but the threads I've read on this topic pretty well talked me out of coughing up the dough. I'd rather spend it on more cache containers and swag that will be placed for everyone to enjoy.

I'd like to see Colonel Mustard's response addressed in some way. It does seem that MOCs in public, taxpayer supported parks is just asking for a legal hassle at some point.

I just want to point out that MMach's logic concerning MOC's in public taxpayer supported parks is faulty.. There are MANY private concerns that use public parks...model aircraft and rocketry clubs, Amature sports teams , I.E. Soccer , baseball,softball,ect.. , various forms of boy and girl scout troops not to mention parties, family reunions and the ocasional wedding. . . . Most of these activities are concidered 'members only' are they not?

So why then should geocacging MOC's be at any more risk of 'legal hassels' than any of these other 'groups'

jee I am proud of this response :lol: Ought become a politician ;)

Edited by virgo91967

I just want to point out that MMach's logic concerning MOC's in public taxpayer supported parks is faulty.. There are MANY private concerns that use public parks...model aircraft and rocketry clubs, Amature sports teams , I.E. Soccer , baseball,softball,ect.. , various forms of boy and girl scout troops not to mention parties, family reunions and the ocasional wedding. . . . Most of these activities are concidered 'members only' are they not?

So why then should geocacging MOC's be at any more risk of 'legal hassels' than any of these other 'groups'

I'm not completely sure about how all of these groups work. However I do know as a former board member of a local dog agility group and field commisioner for an adult soccer organization, that we had to pay the city to use public parks for private club functions. There are also certain restrictions and insurance concerns that must be addressed before the city will allow you to "reserve" part of the park for private use.

(edit) The city also limits the amount of time that any part of the park can be reserved, (i.e.- "X Soccer Association has exclusive use of X Field #8 from 9:00pm until 11:00pm").

Edited by MMACH 5

Gosh, I love these threads! Maybe it would help if we could all agree on a thing or two. Like, that the paying members ARE footing the bill for some conveniences (like the website) that are enjoyed by all. Or, that the non-paying cachers who hide great caches are providing caches that are enjoyed by all.

All you non-paying folks should tell the paid members, "Thank you."

And all you paying members should tell the non-paying cache hiders, "Thank you."

Now, everyone say, "You're welcome!" And go find (or hide) a cache or two...

I'm not completely sure about how all of these groups work. However I do know as a former board member of a local dog agility group and field commisioner for an adult soccer organization, that we had to pay the city to use public parks for private club functions. There are also certain restrictions and insurance concerns that must be addressed before the city will allow you to "reserve" part of the park for private use.

(edit) The city also limits the amount of time that any part of the park can be reserved, (i.e.- "X Soccer Association has exclusive use of X Field #8 from 9:00pm until 11:00pm").

good going MMAch! you just set a precedent for local parks to require a fee for caching! Hope none of them saw it!

We have put out several caches and so far have not made any of them MO. Like sbell111 stated above, its not gonna matter who finds it. Members as well as non members can screw things up for your cache.

As far as becoming a paying member,,, i think of it another way. I agree that there are many ways to contribute to geocaching other than becoming a paying member, but one of the top things, at least for me, is having the ability to use this site. Sure there are others, but most would agree that Geocaching.com is the best. There is alot of work, time, and money that go into this site and i dont mind paying for that good service. I dont think we would have much of a service at all without member support and im glad that there are some of us that realize that! :lol:

good going MMAch!  you just set a precedent for local parks to require a fee for caching!  Hope none of them saw it!

"GC.com shall have exclusive use of cedar tree "A" at city park X for a period of X months. After such time, the tree will be free to all park patrons."

LOL.

Since this would only apply to MOCs, I guess that would be a perk of premium membership.

All other caches are available to everyone.

In my local area there are no Premium and Charter Members caches. Not sure why. I guess the cache placer want to get as many people to there caches as possible. My way of thinking is if you really like geocaching then the $30 US dollars anuually is a small price to pay. In a effort to try and promote more people to pay the membershp fee. I am going to make every cache I set from now on a Premium and Charter Members only for the first month. That way the first to find honour will be someone who support Geocaching finanically. I realize that non paying member support Geocaching by placing caches. But it cost a significant amount of money to run the web site like this one. Without the moeny there would be no central location to find caches.

First reason I 'm posting this is to encourge other to do the same.

Second reason is to promote discusion on this topic to see if I am way of base on my thinking.

Please comment I would like to hear other geocahers view on my proposal

I think it would be fine for the first month but I currently don't have the money to pay them. I love geocaching But I love college more.

Gosh, I love these threads!  Maybe it would help if we could all agree on a thing or two.  Like, that the paying members ARE footing the bill for some conveniences (like the website) that are enjoyed by all.  Or, that the non-paying cachers who hide great caches are providing caches that are enjoyed by all.

And all you paying members should tell the non-paying cache hiders, "Thank you."

Now, everyone say, "You're welcome!"  And go find (or hide) a cache or two...

clap.gif

Gosh, I love these threads!  Maybe it would help if we could all agree on a thing or two.  Like, that the paying members ARE footing the bill for some conveniences (like the website) that are enjoyed by all.  Or, that the non-paying cachers who hide great caches are providing caches that are enjoyed by all.

Now, everyone say, "You're welcome!"  And go find (or hide) a cache or two

I like your idea THANK YOU!

Edited by thisismeisthatu
I am going to make every cache I set from now on a Premium and Charter Members only for the first month.

Please comment I would like to hear other geocahers view on my proposal

I think your proposal is fine - it nicely balances the interests of both paid and non-paid members.

I've been a premium member since shortly after I started geocaching and feel that it's my civic duty to support the site. However, I wouldn't be a geocacher at all if everyone had to pay (or if a majority of caches were MO), because when I first heard about geocaching (on the radio), I checked out the site and how many caches were in my area before deciding to lay out my money on a GPSr. Then I tried a few caches to see if I was going to like the sport before laying out the money to become a premium member. Of course now I couldn't live without Pocket Queries, but that's another story!

I suspect that if everyone had to pay from the get go, there would be a lot fewer premium members, and the site would have less financial support than it does. Personally, I think GC.com has found a good balance in leaving it up to the members to decide if they want to pay and receive a few more benefits, and in leaving it up to the paid members to decide if the want to create a MOC. Power to the people! :huh: