Getting Cache Pages On My Pda

Trogdor2

I am trying to load cache pages to my PDA. I installed the reader program and loaded the test program, but when I look at it, it's in code. My PDA is a Palm Zire71, and it's synched to the Palm Desktop program on a Mac. I also have a PC that I use for situations like this. How can I see the pages on my PDA?

The pocket queries have to be converted to Palm format. The way I do it is to open the pocket queries in GSAK, and then use GSAK to send the waypoints to my GPS, convert them to Cachemate files, and also convert them to html. I then use Plucker on the html files to produce Palm files. Palm is a completely different operating system from Mac or Windows, so none of them can read files produced by the others directly.

When you say you 'installed the reader program', exactly what do you mean? What did you install, on what? The primary programs used on a Palm are either Cachemate or Plucker, or both, or else the Mobipocket reader, which has to be in the running for one of the ten worst Palm programs ever produced. If you installed that, then you have to get the pocket queries in that format, not .gpx files.

OK, here' s another little hitch: My PDA is synched to my Mac. I understand that the Spinner program only works on Windows. Can I download the PQ to the PC, run it through Spinner and Plucker and then transfer it over to my Mac to upload to the Palm?

Or, will the PDA receive from the PC and not lose all the info on it? I do have my info backed up (not the games).

Why bother with the Mac? Get a card reader and transfer the files directly to the SD card, and you don't need to hotsync. Pilot Install will also install to the Palm from the PC without using the Palm hotsync manager. If you do a search for Mac and geocaching, you should be able to find out how others do it.

An SD card is a Secure Digital flash memory card that goes in the card slot in the top left side of the Palm. It holds data, in any format you like, and they range in size up to 512MB, with 1GB cards announced. A card reader is a device that plugs into the USB port on your computer (Mac or PC) and takes a memory card. The computer treats it as another removable drive, and you can copy, delete, or whatever you like, just like you can with any other computer drive. I use a card reader for almost everything, especially transferring files to my Palm. It's much faster than hotsyncing, and more reliable. Just copy the files to the card, put the card into your Palm, and either run the program from the card or copy it to RAM. The SD card is the only way to play mp3 files, or to view graphics files, such as jpgs or maps.

You really do NEED an SD card, and a backup program. With this, you can have your Palm automatically backed up to the SD card on whatever schedule you want. I have mine done early every morning while I'm asleep. When (not if) your Palm does a hard reset and all your memory is lost, all you have to do is run the backup program from the card and restore the backup. You're back in business in less than a minute, and no need to be anywhere near the computer you hotsync to.

May I piggyback a question in your thread? I'm considering buying a used palm for geocaching. Are some palms better for this than others? Are there certain features I will need? Thanks!

:P

just to make sure we understand what you want here - I am assuming that you mean you are using the pda for paperless caching? - - -

And NOT for the GPS. While the PDA can be used for the GPS function it is generally not recommended. There is another tread here where this is discussed - you might want to do a search.

He asked about using a Mac, not a PC.

I use cachemate on the PDA (mine is an ancient m100). To get the GPX files in readable form for cachemate, I use MacCMConvert. It is a Mac front end for the UNIX program CMConvert. MacCMConvert allows you to pick which cache pages from the .gpx file to upload to the PDA. It places them in the fie that uploads to your PDA the next time you HotSync.

The only problem with the Palm software is that you have to disable then enable the HotSync connection for it to see the PDA.

I bought a Keyspan serial-to-USB adaptor for use with both my PDA and GPSr.

The more memory the better, but the 8MB most have nowadays is plenty. You can get by with 2MB in a pinch, if that's all you're going to use it for. For geocaching, I suggest cheap. If you carry the thing in the woods, eventually it's going to get dropped, and very possibly wet. A $300 device will make your heart flutter when it's dropped; a $50 device won't cause so much terror. The older monochrome devices are actually easier to read in sunlight, and have far better battery life.

You don't use Plucker to convert files to .gpx format. Plucker converts html or text files to Palm format for viewing on the Palm by the Plucker viewer. You open the gpx files from the pocket queries in GSAK, and click on the 'earth' icon to generate html files. Select the settings you want in the dialog, then generate the files. Remember where you told GSAK to put them, and then point Plucker Desktop to the index.html file that was generated. Set Plucker how you want it and have Plucker do the conversion.

A PalmOS device cannot read files created in Windows, on a Mac, or any other OS. You have to convert the files to the correct OS, just as you do with any other OS. A Windows machine can't read native Mac files, and vice versa. You either have to convert the files or trick the OS.

Of course, if you're using a Mac, then GSAK won't help you. There should be something that runs on a Mac to convert the .gpx files to html. There is a Plucker for Mac, and there is also JPluck, which is a java program that should run on anything and converts html and text files to Plucker format.

Edit: Forgot he's using a Mac. :lol:

Edited by NightPilot

Whoa, there big fella. You and me dog lovers and I was really beginning to enjoy your comments and help, and then you had to go and say something like that. tsk, tsk, tsk.

I run Virt PC occasionally, when necessary. Sort of like wearing old ratty clothes to clean the garage. :D

Edited by Trogdor2