Bucks Caching?

Stuey

I have to be in Abingdon in Oxfordshire over the last weekend in September, and intend to spend the previous week having a caravan holiday in a cache rich area within 50 miles or so of Oxford. It looks like the area to the east of Oxford (Buckinghamshire) is full of caches, so was wondering whether anyone can recommend a caravan site which has the usual creature comforts (showers, shop, etc) as well as easy access to either woodland walks, or lakeside/reservoirside walks.

Obviously I would want to choose the perfect campsite to keep my wife and dog happy, but on the off-chance that it was possible to pick up caches easily... well, that would be very fortunate, wouldn't it? :P

If anyone who knows the approximate area could recommend somewhere I'd be grateful.

Hi Stuey. I've had a little look and the best I can find is: THIS SITE

It's just north of Milton Keynes which would give easy access to most of North and central Bucks. The most cached out area is around Aylesbury the County Town but there don't seem to be any caravan parks near there. You might find something by doing a web search.

My site should help you pick and choose caches and show you where the best areas are. Visit: Bucks Caching

and click the link for the interactive map. If you need any more help or want some tips for good caches feel free to send me a mail and I will do my best to help!

I lived in Abingdon for 3 1/2 years, before I knew about geocaching. The site recommended by the Phillimore Clan is right next to the River Thames by about 500metres and across the road is the Park & Ride into Oxford, also about 1km away is a Sainsbury's, close enough for your shopping.

The site recommended by nobby.nobbs is as he said outside Oxford, a lot more picturesque but not as convenient for shops and getting into Oxford.

By the way don't take your car into Oxford, extremely expensive use the par and ride.

Hi

We spent a very enjoyable weekend at the Caravan and Camping Club site in Oxford, the site was great, hot showers/clean loos, nice pitches and the wardens/owners were very friendly. Very reasonably priced too.

As stated previously the park and ride was very handy for getting into Oxford and doing all the city caches (would recommend doing the Chesters Challenge Series, plus the University Challenge series.)

And there is the most brilliant chip shop, just a short walk from the camp site, that sells the cheapest and most tastiest fish/chips (or what ever else takes your fancy!)we have come across in a long while.

Hope you have a great time where-ever you stay!

The Cranes

We spent a very enjoyable weekend at the Caravan and Camping Club site in Oxford

Thanks for all your ideas so far. I've done a lot of the Oxford city centre caches, so hope to pick some off towards Aylesbury I think.

Wendover and Princes Risborough look like a good "cache central" locations. I can't find any sites there though.

The Oxford C&C Club does look good though. That's favourite at the moment, but I'll keep looking.

My OS map shows a camping/caravaning location just south of Pitstone and just north of Tring which would put you in a very pretty location with lots of interesting and practical stuff close by. Not sure what the site is called though, sorry.

Hi Paul,

Thanks, I've got it! Looks like it's called Silver Birch and it is near Ivinghoe. Not sure if they have all the facilities we need, but I'll phone them.

Also seen another one called Highclere Farm near Chalfont St Giles about 14 miles to the south. It's between Amersham and Beaconsfield, and looks quite nice.

We're getting there! Thanks,

Stuey :P

Two sites i would and have used NEAR Oxford...... Lincoln Farm Park (mentioned before) which is at Standlake about 11km West of Central Oxford (approx) and Diamond Farm which is NEAR Bletchingdon (Kidlington) about 10km North of Central Oxford...... lots of caches placed quite close to Diamond Farm recently. Both are good sites and very popular....difficult to get into in the summer months BUT should be OK now.

Mart