Do Cheap Cables Need Software

I have an etrex and want a pc interface cable. garmin's cables are expencive and I have found some cheaper on Ebay. Good ratings for the seller but can I rely on them? I'm guessing I need software to run them also? All are the 9 pin serial ports. Are there any for usb2 without having to get an adapter from the serial port to usb2?

Is this the way I should go?

The Etrex / PC cable is for uploading and downloading user data, and the software that you can get for free is at:

The website right at this link

This is the software called G7ToWin.exe

This is very good software for your eTrex so you can download your Tracklogs and waypoints, and also selectively upload waypoints you would like back to the GPS.

If the computer has a serial port then you should try to use the regular GPS to Serial port cable. If it is a Laptop you need an adaptor to go from USB to serial.

Edited by GOT GPS?

I have not bought anything from him, but a lot of people on the forums have mentioned that they've had exceptional luck with http://www.gpsgeek.com.

You will need some sort of adapter if your laptop does not have a 9 pin serial connection. There are a number of USB/serial adapters and they aren't overly expensive.

Also in the free software department is EasyGPS. It's a pretty good waypoint manager that handles uploads and downloads.

I picked up a copy of Garmin MetroGuide 5 at Target a few months ago for $49. Not only is it a waypoint manager, but you can see all your waypoints in the context of their surroundings. Even if you can't download the maps to your eTrex, it's nice to be able to see where you are going. Also, if you have a cable, you can hook your GPS to your laptop in the car and use the GPS to feed signals to the laptop and have it display the maps in real time.

-E

Ok I went ahead and ordered the cable and looked at and downloaded some of the free software. I do plan on useing my laptop although it's been fine just useing a printout. Sonn I think I might upgrade to a better GPS after I see whet they can do and if I need better features. Although I can't see spending $400 on one. I hear good things about the legend but I'll need to look at some screen shots to see if it's uploaded maps will be good enough for me. Thanks again for all the great input.

Ok I went ahead and ordered the cable and looked at and downloaded some of the free software. I do plan on useing my laptop although it's been fine just useing a printout. Sonn I think I might upgrade to a better GPS after I see whet they can do and if I need  better features. Although I can't see spending $400 on one. I hear good things about the legend but I'll need to look at some screen shots to see if it's uploaded maps will be good enough for me. Thanks again for all the great input.

Go to THIS PAGE find the "MapSource Map Viewer" drop-down menu (upper left area of page). Select a product you're interested in, then click on a desired area to zoom in - keep clicking until you're at maximum zoom - then see if it's enough for you to wanna buy the product.

Edited by Neo_Geo

I went to the Mapsource page and looked at some. they looked pretty good but some got pretty expencive. I'm guessing that they will tell you when to turn if going by road.I had already gone to look at some and I did find "National Geographic's Backroads Explorer" that I think will do fine for me (for now). Not sure how comptable it will be with my new eTrex legend but it seems to do everything I want it to and I got it on sale for $40. I haven't tried to upload a map to my Garmin or not sure if it will but it seems great for downloading waypoints and tracks. It's even a topo map which is really cool to this newby. Still got alot of playing to do with it though. Thanks for the input

To recap all the original questions:

All cables need software, even the actual brand name ones.

Probably, especially if its gpsgeek :ph34r: , I even have a couple of their cables, they work fine.

Yes, you need software to use it. Some are free, some are not, depends what you want to do with it (what do you want to send).

Nope, AFAIK noone has a usb for the legend, you have to do the adaptor route.

Well if you ever want your etrex to upload waypoints en mass, send maps(depending on gps model), and of course receive anything back(like tracks), its the way you have to go.

Re: Cable costs

You can get them for $7.45 in the US. And you can get connectors for like $4 or 5 each from pfranc to make you own cable. Or you could go completely DIY or homebrew basically for free.

Re: Software.

All you need is windows standard com drivers and some free software like GSAK and you'll be able to transfer waypoints etc between the device and your computer.

Re: USB

Unfortunately the only option for USB and 95% of GPSrs is a Serial/USB adapter (which creates a virtual com device). In the past 6 or 7 months I can only recall reading about 1 GPS that had a native USB interface.

Thorin

Edited by thorin