National Geographic Topo & Garmin Issue

I just picked up a copy of National Geographic Topo! (Northeastern USA) and have an issue. I updated to the latest version of the software (3.4.3) off their site. I have a Garmin GPS V.

The issue is that it won't read all the waypoints in. It reads in the 1st 2 of 55, shows a message that it read 2 off 55 and then displays a message that the GPS stopped responding. What's odd is that it has no issue reading in the entire track logs for the day so I'm guessing I have everything properly configured. I have the GPS settings in the program set for Garmin / GPS V / 9600 / Com1 and the Test comes back fine.

Any ideas? I called their support number a bunch of times today but no answer and "leave a message". I also emailed them but no response yet.

Thanks!

David

I just picked up a copy of National Geographic Topo! (Northeastern USA) and have an issue. I updated to the latest version of the software (3.4.3) off their site. I have a Garmin GPS V.

The issue is that it won't read all the waypoints in. It reads in the 1st 2 of 55, shows a message that it read 2 off 55 and then displays a message that the GPS stopped responding. What's odd is that it has no issue reading in the entire track logs for the day so I'm guessing I have everything properly configured. I have the GPS settings in the program set for Garmin / GPS V / 9600 / Com1 and the Test comes back fine.

Any ideas? I called their support number a bunch of times today but no answer and "leave a message". I also emailed them but no response yet.

Thanks!

David

I've got an older version of the NG's Topo. It won't run on the new udate. You have to have the new cds' for that. If your not sure what cd's you have Uninstall and run their 2.77 upgrade available for the state series I belive.. That's the only one that will work for me.

I've got an older version of the NG's Topo. It won't run on the new udate. You have to have the new cds' for that. If your not sure what cd's you have Uninstall and run their 2.77 upgrade available for the state series I belive.. That's the only one that will work for me.

The app runs fine and even the communications with the GPS V are fine for tracks, but something is causing a problem reading the waypoints. 3.4.3 as an application seems to be fine though.

Any other ideas?

My particular issue isn't related to USB as the GPS V is a serial connection.

For those that have contacted NG support, what's the best way you've gotten through? I called a couple times yesterday and after a few rings it said I could leave a message. I emailed them earlier in the day.

I posted here yesterday and on a Usenet newsgroup this morning. Sort of doing the shotgun method. I really want this to work though. I did find someone that described the same sort of problem as I had, but he didn't have the GPS V listed in the model drop-down list and after uninstalling/reinstalling it was there and worked fine.

Any other suggestions are welcome!

David

My particular issue isn't related to USB as the GPS V is a serial connection.

For those that have contacted NG support, what's the best way you've gotten through? I called a couple times yesterday and after a few rings it said I could leave a message. I emailed them earlier in the day.

I posted here yesterday and on a Usenet newsgroup this morning. Sort of doing the shotgun method. I really want this to work though. I did find someone that described the same sort of problem as I had, but he didn't have the GPS V listed in the model drop-down list and after uninstalling/reinstalling it was there and worked fine.

Any other suggestions are welcome!

David

I had the same problem awhile ago. It would load only a few of the waypoints also or part of a route I was making.

I'm sorry I don't have specfic's but I know for sure that when I tried to upgrade to the 3.43 it corrupted it bad so I reverted back.

I uninstalled it completely and reinstalled it. I then used the upgrade 2.77 and all was good, but I have the prior cd set like I said. My cd's say ver. 2.53.

I would uninstall it and restart then install fresh. It might have been that I corupted something also.

It's been working like a charm and I couldn't get it to go for the longest time. Mike at tech support couldn't figure it out either.

Start fresh and add a little at a time to find out what's corrupting it.

Thanks Capt Caper. I'll give that a shot tomorrow.

David

Also before you send to gps try saveing the file your making first. That might lock it into the program better.

Check you setting also for the gps. For the 60CS I have I use 76S by Garmin. Maybe another gps choice in preferences will help, but I'd do a clean install first. Make sure you restart after uninstall and install.

Good Luck keep us posted.

Capt.

I tried a bunch of various GPS models, though mine *is* listed in 3.4.3. I'll have to look in the base version before upgrading to see if GPS V is listed. I don't recall if I did or didn't even try to launch the program before upgrading to 3.4.3.

Looks like 2.7.7 is for a different product line then what I'm running.

Still waiting for someone from NG to contact me. I've emailed them and yesterday I again left a voicemail.

I tried a bunch of various GPS models, though mine *is* listed in 3.4.3. I'll have to look in the base version before upgrading to see if GPS V is listed. I don't recall if I did or didn't even try to launch the program before upgrading to 3.4.3.

Looks like 2.7.7 is for a different product line then what I'm running.

Still waiting for someone from NG to contact me. I've emailed them and yesterday I again left a voicemail.

I have NorthEastern USA also. The 10 CD set. The 277 is the upgrade for the states which is the Northeastern USA. But They came out with newer version cd's to go with V.3.43. The newer one is similar and changed only a few things. One is to download to a hand held pc.

I'd try 2.77 also or do a clean install for your cd version and try the 3.43 upgrade again.

Or find out what update version your cd set is supposed to use. On the CD's the ver. should be printed on the label. Mine is.

Make sure you have the upgrade for the state series. That's all ours is is cd's of states basicaly.

It should work. I had the exact same problem.

The newer 3.43 v. wants to convert my files to the newer format and that I think screwit all up.

I uninstalled and then reinstalled. The base version on the CD didn't show GPS V as a valid unit, so instead of upgrading to 3.4.3 (their latest) as I did last time, I upgraded to your recommended 2.7.7 and it works fine!!!

Thanks for the recommendation!! I still haven't heard back from tech support :mad:

Hopefully the post here will help someone that might run into the same issue. Thanks again!!

David

I uninstalled and then reinstalled. The base version on the CD didn't show GPS V as a valid unit, so instead of upgrading to 3.4.3 (their latest) as I did last time, I upgraded to your recommended 2.7.7 and it works fine!!!

Thanks for the recommendation!! I still haven't heard back from tech support :mad:

Hopefully the post here will help someone that might run into the same issue. Thanks again!!

David

I'm glad to hear your straightened out. I think it depends on the cd set you have. If it's been sitting in a store a while or you got it used then that might explain the need for the 2.77.

I did get the newer cd's from them as a $15.00 upgrade but I got rid of them. I found it to be two messed up with my current one and not worth the difference between the two.

But If I didn't have any trace of NGTopo or I was a first time buyer the newer versions might be o.k. I would think.

Capt.

I use 2.7.5.  I'm not sure where they changed it but the older versions support tpg files so you can save a waypoint set.  This way you can easily load and save waypoints.

The newer versions will load a tpg file but then force you to save it as a map file.  It's goofy and I downgraded to get back to how it used to work.

I agree with you also. I like the 2.77's ability to seperate the files. i.e. tpg,tpo.

Also I found the 2.77 better then the 2.75 and have had no issues with it. I've used it now for years. I wish they'd at least come out with a upgrade once a year of some kind with improvements to the funtions or gps support. i.e. edit tracks, send tracks. I'd pay for that.

Edited by capt caper

I've had a series of exchanges with National Geographic support over past couple of months regarding their latest version and their lack of support of USB (60cs) and common geocaching protocols. I generally did not see it as a good sign when their recommendation was to >downgrade< to a previous version because their .tpo protocol was not only proprietary, but could not be "understood" by any conversion software that I could find. I was told that a new version would be available late summer, but I'm not sure if that was true. I just e-mailed them and will post their response here--if and when I get it.

I do have a question: I find that printouts of various maps to be less than ideal. I know many of the maps are decades old, were hand-drawn, suffer from dithering (etc) when enlarged ... but does anyone have any recommendations how to "improve" the image? I tried some filters etc in photoshop elements with limited success.

Thanks,

Hal

I received the following message from NG today:

Thank you for your email. As soon as we have the update, I will be happy to pass it on. We don't have a firm date yet for the release of this new version but beta-testing is currently on-going so that is a good sign. Thanks for your support.

TOPO! Technical Support Team

National Geographic Maps

http://maps.nationalgeographic.com/topo/

H&N Z

If you have the old version of the CDs ask them if they offer an update, Not a software update but a CD update.

A good option but I've probably called 10 times and never spoken to a human and emailed them 2 times and never received a reply. Makes it tough to ask them anything :)

wow,they must be getting worse. I called a year ago or so and got the newer cd's for $15.00's. But I needed the 3.4.3. with them. I had the trouble above so I canned the new CD's.

I might try the new update also if it has good changes. But I'll back up my drive with a ghost image just incase it corrupts anything again.

It's work fine. Just wish it did more like edit tracks,and transfer tracks,usb support.

Am I asking too much?