Another question from a Newbie....

Team MJDJ

...I read the guidelines for hiding a cache on the GeoCaching.com site:

"Caches will be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not inclusive):

Caches on National Park Service maintained lands."

Does this include Parks in the City? Provincial Parks? What is the logic behind this rule?

"Caches that are buried - If a shovel/trowel/pointy object is used to dig - in order to hide or find a cache - it's not appropriate."

What's the deal with this rule? Isn't "buried treasure" kinda cool to find?

"Caches hidden by active railroad tracks."

Can the trail TO my cache pass by/through/under/over/around Railroad tracks?

"Caches near or in military installations."

Fair enough...

"Caches under public structures deemed targets for terrorist attacks."

Fair enough...

quote:
Originally posted by Team MJDJ:

"Caches will be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not inclusive):

Caches on National Park Service maintained lands."

Does this include Parks in the City? Provincial Parks? What is the logic behind this rule?

Caches in National parks aren't allowed by the park service. I don't think it affects city parks.

quote:

"Caches that are buried - If a shovel/trowel/pointy object is used to dig - in order to hide or find a cache - it's not appropriate."

What's the deal with this rule? Isn't "buried treasure" kinda cool to find?

Not enviromentally freindly is it?

quote:

"Caches hidden by active railroad tracks."

Can the trail TO my cache pass by/through/under/over/around Railroad tracks?

The trail can pass or cross a railroad bed it's just not safe to have people looking for a cache on active railroad tracks. It's just common sense really.

City, county, parks are usually ok, unless they have some local rule applying to the park.

National Parks are only the Parks run by the United States Government DBA The National Park Service. (example Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument)

Night Hunter

usacoolflag.gif

If Wyle E. Coyote could afford all that ACME stuff... Why didn't he just buy DINNER?

quote:

...most of the stuff was "common sense" (ie: Active railroad tracks) but I wouldn't have guessed about the environmental concerns of a buried cache...and I didn't know that (State) Parks didn't allow this sort of activity.

Thanks to all for the quick replies!

icon_biggrin.gif

State parks in most states DO allow caches, its only NATIONAL parks, (like Yellowstone) that have a blanket ban across the country.

As for digging. If the cache is buried, how would you find it? Consumer GPS is typically only accurate to 15-25ft. If the hider is 25 ft off to the North, and the finder is off 25ft to the South, the cache is gonna be 50ft away from where your GPS says it should be. It's fairly typical to find a cache 30ft from where the GPS shows. Now, imagine how many holes you would you might have to dig to find a cache in a 3000 square foot circle! Now multiply that by each person looking for the cache. The area would look like it was being strip-mined in no time!

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

You can hide a buried cache. But once you realize how much looking people do for some of the ones that are hidden well you will know why you shoulnd't.

However there are locations that a buried cache are appropriate and if you find one and like the idea your cache would likely be approved. You would have to make a case.

Also, if you can get the Park Serivce to approve the cache, it would be approve. I'm actually working on a cache on BLM/Park Serivice land which is part of a greater area. The BLM portion will give me permission, even though the Greater area is considered park service.

This cache will take some work to get placed but it's going to happen.

Wherever you go there you are.