Cache Description

Baskerville

I am wondering what the preference is in describing caches. I note that quite a few caches include complete descriptions of the original content of the cache. I followed this tradition when hiding my own first cache. However, perhaps it is better just to leave some things a mystery. I can see why you would want to specify micro cache with log only. For caches with swag, perhaps just the container dimensions can be listed. (BTW, I am not suggesting any rule, just wanted to know finder's preferences when considering other hides)

Do whatever you want - it's your cache. Having the original contents in the cache description is really only useful to the 1st couple of finders. After that, it's likely nothing like what it started out as.

What I'd personally prefer is to list the contents of the cache as a note which would fall off the page as it becomes less relevant.

The only time I think it's interesting to see the contents is if the cache is a theme cache and it lists the themed contents the owner placed in it to start.

If the owner lists the initial cache contents, they quickly become out of date as people trade items in and out of the cache. I quit doing that after my first hide. Some people include the initial list of items in a note log. That is cool, because it will just slide down the page, but remain there to memorialize what the cache was like when it started.

The main things I am interested in when reading or writing a traditional cache description are:

1. Where is it? Name of the park or general area and any necessary directions on how to get there, including parking coordinates if helpful.

2. Why do you want me to come here? What is cool about this spot, or the way you hid this cache, that makes it any different from the ones down the road?

3. Are there any rules ("park closes at dark") or safety considerations ("watch out for poison ivy" or "you don't need to search anywhere near the edge of the cliff")?

Everything else is just fluff. Sometimes that fluff is extremely cool and fun to read, like a cache that has a story behind it. But don't over-do it. I am not interested in reading four paragraphs about the owner's first visit to this area back in 1978. A few sentences, fine. But cache pages that run on and on forever are just plain annoying. They take up multiple pages if printed, and require scrolling forever if you use a PDA in the field.

I think the reason so many people specify the original contents is because at one time it was suggested on this website's cache hiding tutorial (it may still be for all I know). I did it for the first dozen or so caches I placed, but haven't since because I realized it was pointless. I've noticed some who start the page with a note log listing the contents, or a photo of the original contents. That makes a bit more sense than listing the contents in the body of the page.

One thing that I often place on my cache pages and appreciate on others, is a paragraph or two about what makes the cache site unique. Perhaps its a bit about the human, or geological history of the site, or anything else that might be of interest.

I find the inital list interesting at times.  I have one cache that needed to be moved (the police had it) and I went thru it.  It's almost three years old and there are two items from the original list still in there.

How did the police end up with your cache, sounds like a good story :(

Good question, it has always been sort of a pet peeve of mine, I don't like reading about what is in the cache, unless I am one of the first few finders. (so edit the cache after its been found) The contents have changed after a few finds and people who may be looking for a certain item will be disappointed when it is not there. It also takes up space when I print out the page to take with me.

What I would like to know is:

1. What type of container I am looking for.

2. How far is the cache, maybe I don't have much time and want to do a short one or I am only doing one and a long hike is OK, but how long.

3. Are there any special sites I should be looking for, some cachers, just dash to the cache and miss some beautiful sites. :(

I find the inital list interesting at times.  I have one cache that needed to be moved (the police had it) and I went thru it.  It's almost three years old and there are two items from the original list still in there.

How did the police end up with your cache, sounds like a good story :P

Not that good. The area the cache was in was razed for road construction, the crew found the cache and turned it in to the police. My contact info is all over the outside, so they e-mailed me and I retrieved the cache and found a new 'home' for it.

OT: The type of container is really nice. Sometimes that may give a clue as to where it is hidden, so add it as a hint.

Thanks for the ideas. I realize my first cache could have been described a bit better. I might make some changes. Good idea to say why the cache is placed where it is! Never thought of that. (Duh). Also never thought to use notes for the contents. I also note that children seem to go to a lot of caches in our area. I might add a note on kid issues perhaps in a hint.

This is a great forum. Glad I stopped lurking! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Not that good. The area the cache was in was razed for road construction, the crew found the cache and turned it in to the police. My contact info is all over the outside, so they e-mailed me and I retrieved the cache and found a new 'home' for it.

Beats what happened to mine last weekend:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=77250

OT, the one thing I DON'T want to see is a lot of BIG fonts and cartoon drawings and stuff that makes it take up more than just the front of one page when I print it. I like to print the mapquest map on the back of the page, especially if I'm going to an unfamiliar area. Haven't quite gotten used to going paperless yet, but I'm working on it.