Interesting Reading

While doing a little web surfing, I came across the following page: U.S. Army Special Forces Caching Techniques

Not directly related to geocaching, but it's amazing how much relevant information we can use from this article. Just rule out any of the information regarding burying a cache. The article goes from page 34 to 56.

Thought I'd share the read.

- Mark (S-4-C)

Has anyone else wondered what might happen to geocaching should the U.S. ever need an extensive domestic system of caches? Would the site be nationalized? Would geocachers be recruited as a "people's underground"-type group? I remember stories of the American Revolutionary war where such a network was of great value. Apparently, one of George Washington's greatest skills was that of covert information-gathering and communication.

I am neither military-minded nor in a hurry to have anything to do with any actualization of this concept, but since we were on the subject...my.02.

Thanks

This concept of a cache is not new nor is it limited to the Special Forces. The actual defintion of a cache is as follows:

"In the most general sense, a cache is a place, often hidden, for holding valuable items. This term may be used, for example, in the context of hidden treasures, stored food for later consumption by animals, or a cache of arms (a weapons cache) placed by an army during war for later use. "

I am a Tank Commander on an M1A2 Main Battle Tank (see avatar) and we use caches in defensive positions. Should we need additional tank rounds it could take too long to get a truck out to our location so we create caches nearby that we can hide tank rounds in.

"Mom, I didn't steal this C-4, I found it in a geocache this morning!"

:anitongue: Mustard Devil, :P

Given the recent thread on another related site, your statement above may have more truth than fiction, unless you're carefull. Good Luck and return safely.

Cache Well

The Standard Stainless Steel Container

The standard stainless steel container comes in several sizes. Since the stainless steel container is more satisfactory than any that could be improvised in the field, it should be used whenever possible. Ideally, it should be packed at headquarters  or at a field packaging center. If the items to be cached must be obtained locally, it is still advisable to use the stainless steel container because its high resistance to moisture eliminates the need for an outer wrapping. Packers should, however, use a single wrapping even with the stainless steel container to protect the contents from any residual moisture that may be present in the container when it is sealed.

Where can I get these?