A Cache In Need Of Repair

RhinoFang

I ran into a cache recently that is in dire need of repair. There have been several log entries stating that it needs attention but nothing's been done. I sent off an e-mail (about 5 mins ago) to the cache owner. I checked his profile and saw that he last signed on here almost two months ago. I'm really not expecting to get a reply from him. I've thought about replacing the container and log book and fixing it up a bit, but I don't want to do too much and overstep my boundaries. I've heard that others have 'adopted' a cache that wasn't being taken care of. My question is, at what point would you suggest this to the cache owner and how's the most tactful way of doing this? Any and all suggestions would be helpful.

"I've thought about replacing the container and log book and fixing it up a bit, but I don't want to do too much and overstep my boundaries."

In my book, that is never overstepping your bounds. Just the nice thing to do, and more of us should do just that. Then there would be no need to adopt.

But if you want to adopt, the is a pinned thread at the top on one of these forums that will help.

In regards to the state of the cache, my preference is to ‘clean’ it up as much as I am willing to, so that the next cachers can have something to find and log. Sometimes it’s a new container or a log book. Sometimes it's nothing,

You can place a “should be archived note’ or contact an approver to do it. The approver will then determine a reasonable amount of time to allow the owner to respond. Once it’s archived you can request to adopt it or place your own cache.

I have seen owners suddenly pop out of the woodwork when a ‘should be archived' note has been posted.

"I've thought about replacing the container and log book and fixing it up a bit, but I don't want to do too much and overstep my boundaries."

In my book, that is never overstepping your bounds. Just the nice thing to do, and more of us should do just that. Then there would be no need to adopt.

But if you want to adopt, the is a pinned thread at the top on one of these forums that will help.

We have a couple abandoned caches that several of us support and will continue to do so as long as it's not more trouble than it's worth. For example, when only the owner can resolve issues, like responding to emailed questions or adjusting the cache page information, then the cache needs to go.

If is a nice cache in an interesting spot, I'll replace the container and logbook (if necessary) and add some fresh trinkets. Every time I'e done this, the owner was thankful.

If the cache is a lame one, I won't bother fixing it and if it's really a mess and its obvious the owner doesn't give a rats patootie about it, I'll post a SBA note.

Gotta agree with Briansnat. I carry extra stuff in my car to fix caches worth fixin'. If they're not worth it I don't bother, though.

If a cache is worth it, I go with the theory that I do what I would hope others would do for me.

Recently, I tossed out a complete new cache when a cache went missing. The troll cache disappeared. I was in the neighborhood on a caching trip so I stopped in. Sure enough, it was gone. I had stuff in the car so I tossed out a new cache. Then I e-mailed the owner who was very appreciative.

Whenever I do something to improve a cache I always e-mail the owner and offer to return the cache to the condition it was when I found it. Haven't had any takers yet!

Hi,

I frequently do minor cache maintenance, and carry supplies in my backpack for just that purpose.

In May, I did a major overhaul on a cache that had been looted and trashed and moved about 150 yards, and was stacking up the DNFs...I supplied a new container, some trade items, and a log (pretty much the whole cache was a broken lump of sogginess). I had emailed the "owner a number of times without reply, so just went ahead and did it.

Just a couple of days ago, I had the opportunity to help a geocacher who is currently serving in Iraq by replacing his cache (he asked me to look after his caches before he left) after it had been buried under construction rubble...it had been accumulating DNFs too. I'm grateful for his service, and for my small chance to help him out.

I think it is the responsibility of every cacher to help keep every cache they visit in good shape, and to help out with bigger help when it is appropriate or asked for, in order to keep a cache from disappearing (and also just to be a good neighbor). This applies to caches I think are cool...a lame cache I might just sba after sending an email or 2.

just my $0.02 :blink:

nfa