Geocaching Four Peaks Cache Challenge

Hi all,

The term Four Peaks relates to the four highest peaks in the 4 nations in the islands of Britain and Ireland:

- Wales - Snowdon (1085m)

- Scotland - Ben Nevis (1344m)

- England - Scafell Pike (978m)

- Ireland - Carrauntohill (1039m)

From a geocachers point of view, there are caches on Carrauntohill (Physical), Scafell Pike (Virtual), Snowdon (Virtual and currently an Event!) and Ben Nevis (2 Physical containers - but only one cache) which means that as in mountaineering, there is a geocachers four peaks challenge to be done.

Of course, from my own point of view I hope to be one of the first to do this...

As I own the cache on Carrauntohill, I have climbed 1 of 4... but next month I'll be at a wedding in North Wales, which means Snowdon, followed by a trip up to the Lake District, and then I'm hoping to go to Scotland early next year.

I know there may be a cacher or two that has done all three in Britain - but is anyone up for a challenge on both islands?

PS: Inukshuk (of geocachingtoday.com) has kindly agreed to accompany me on my Scafell Pike trip - cheers!

Hi klaus23 you're talking my language! Got any dates planned? I'm very keen to do Ben Nevis again as I've only done this before in December. Although I reached the summit it was less than 50m visibility which rather spoilt the view! Another stroll up Scafell Pike would be nice as well! Are you coming over for the Snowdon event?

This definatley appeals to me.

Can we make the Ben a non winter ascent though.

Frezing my bits off does not appeal.

Cheers

Tony

I did it in June last year and it was -6 on top and very windy(see the pictures on my site), but it was nice to see snow in June and was the most fun I have had while walking. :o;) It was a nice clear day but I beleve 8 out of 10 days are not.

The next day we did Scafell and the day after Snowdon, TOP weekend :)

Edited by Deego

I did it in June last year and it was -6 on top and very windy(see the pictures on my site), but it was nice to see snow in June and was the most fun I have had while walking. :o:)

it was a nice clear day but I beleve 8 out of 10 days are not.

I've only been up in January and I don't want to be that cold ever again

I belive it is generally cold and has poor visibility even in Summer, but don't really want to do the full winter ascent thing.

? you done the one accross the water

Edited by mongoose39uk

What I'm planning to do is climb both Snowdon and Scafell Pike on 2 days between the 27th August and the 1st September.

Company on both climbs would be welcome and appreciated.

Ben Nevis will be sometime early next year - no dates in mind yet, but probably between February and April.

If anyone is planning to come to Ireland and climb Carrauntohill please let me know, I would be happy to come along.

I would love to make the Snowdon Event but unfortunatly I can't.

We had an event last year to climb Carrauntohill so if you're doing nothing in early summer I would put together another one.

What I'm planning to do is climb both Snowdon and Scafell Pike on 2 days between the 27th August and the 1st September.

We are planning on doing Snowdon between 28th Aug & 4th Sept whilst on holiday in the area for the week. We will probably do the Pyg going up and Miners coming down. Perhaps we can meet up but we'll probably be a bit slow for you, not the fittest around and gravity tends to works against us.

We are planning on doing Snowdon between 28th Aug & 4th Sept whilst on holiday in the area for the week. We will probably do the Pyg going up and Miners coming down. Perhaps we can meet up but we'll probably be a bit slow for you, not the fittest around and gravity tends to works against us.

I wouldn't be the fastest man on the planet either... I have to hump my 6ft 1 15 stone frame up there too... and there's a wedding to be attended, which I intend to celebrate in true Irish/Welsh fashion :-)

I'll be climbing with my wife's uncle - he's been up on Snowdon about 30 times, so I'm in good hands.