Finding a do it all unit

swampwater

I am a real greenie looking for some information.

I would like a unit that will serve me in my car as well as geocashing. I have been looking at 4 units, Garmin V, garmin 76 s, Magellan Gold or Platinum. Could some of you more experienced folk give me some input on which of these units might best fit my needs, with some of the plus and minus things to be considered.

I only have Garmins so I can't comment on the others but I love my Garmin V for a dual capability unit. Excellent for setting on the dashboard and letting it lead the way and even better in the woods. Excellent base map (at least here in the northeast), points of interest such as restaurants, hospitals, gas stations, etc,. You can have it make a "bread crumb" trail as you travel. That feature can really help if you forget to mark the location of your car when you head out for the cache. It also has a compass and altimeter built into it. Maybe the others have the same features also, I just don't know. Good Luck

I agree with Ranger Rick.

I use a GPS3+, but have been drooling over the GPS5. One of the best things about the 3+ and the 5 is their ability to be used vertically or horizontally.

In a horizontal orientation, I set my 3+ on the dash and let it lead me to my destination. The 5's routing ability would make this feature even better.

In the vertical orientation, my 3+ (and therefore the 5) is comfortable for carrying on trail.

The controls are simple to use.

I use the MOPAR (Dodge) Talking Navigation System in my Intrepid, and a Mag 315 handheld for geocaching.

I think I get the best of both worlds this way, but the MOPAR is a bit pricey ($1800 PLUS $300 FOR 2 ADDITIONAL cdS TO COVER FULL us.)

--MAJICMAN

majicman

I use a MeriGold (Magellan Meridian Gold) and love it. The new "Card Utilities" menu is worth its weight in... well... something really expensive. icon_smile.gif

Seriously, if you're a hiker/biker/etc and you want to keep tracklogs (dotted lines) of the trails you travel, being able to save twelve oodles squared* of them on the unit itself is astonishing.

*twelve oodles squared: theoretically, you could easily save a good year's worth of hikes on the card, if you wanted to. More than that, even, but most people would likely just want to keep their favorite long or winding trailsets,

I use a MeriGold (Magellan Meridian Gold) and love it. The new "Card Utilities" menu is worth its weight in... well... something really expensive. icon_smile.gif

Seriously, if you're a hiker/biker/etc and you want to keep tracklogs (dotted lines) of the trails you travel, being able to save twelve oodles squared* of them on the unit itself is astonishing.

*twelve oodles squared: theoretically, you could easily save a good year's worth of hikes on the card, if you wanted to. More than that, even, but most people would likely just want to keep their favorite long or winding trailsets,

I have a III+ but would love to upgrade to a V. I have used it in airborne, (in military and commercial jets) on my bike, in my car, and of course in my hand. I have a mag-mount rooftop antenna for the car so the detachable antenna is a necessity. I think you will be happy with the GPS-V.