Downloading Caches Into Gps

Team Tabasco

I just purchased a Garmin GPSMAP 76CS unit. This is an awesome little unit with lots of features.One of these features is a dedicated Geocaching section.Unlike my Lowrance Globalmap 100 unit, this new unit allows me to download caches directly from the Geocache website.But there is one little problem.After downloading the EASYGPS program from the website I noticed that my new gps does not appear on the CHOOSE FROM GPS LIST on the setup screen and the autodetect can't seem to find my unit either.Even when I pick the closest unit to my unit (the GPSMAP 76S)from the list it still does not let me connect.Also when it lets me choose my options it asks me if I am connecting my GPS using seriel port 1 2 or 3.My gps uses a USB cable to connect.I have downloaded several maps into my unit using Mapsource so I know that the USB connection is working fine.Is there any other program I can use to download cache information directly into my gps from the Geocaching website that anyone out there knows about?OR has anyone run into this problem before and some how solved it. Please let me know.

Thanks Rolgon

I'm going to take a stab at this, but a better answer will be found in the GPS Units & Software Forum on this website.

You might try GSAK (geocaching swiss army knife) to do what you want.

If you can load the waypoints into your mapping software, you can send them to your GPS that way... (MapSource, right?)

Again, I'd highly recommend the GPS Units & Software forum. Them is some smart folk. :unsure:

You might try GSAK (geocaching swiss army knife) to do what you want.

If you can load the waypoints into your mapping software, you can send them to your GPS that way... (MapSource, right?)

You can also bypass sending it to your mapping software and load the waypoints directly to your GPSr using GSAK. Just make sure that you go to the GPS setup screen and tell it that you have a Garmin unit, and what baud rate to use.

It works great for my Etrex yellow (as well as my Magellan receivers)

But sending them to your mapping software can be handy. It lets you see where the caches are in relation to each other.

Also when it lets me choose my options it asks me if I am connecting my GPS using seriel port 1 2 or 3.My gps uses a USB cable to connect.

you still have to tell it what serial port the USB unit is emulating - in GSAK it thinks its COM5 -

yes - GSAK is way better than easygps

google gsak and you'll find it - free download $15 after 30 days - I just paid - well worth it -

<snip>

google gsak and you'll find it - free download $15 after 30 days - I just paid - well worth it -

GSAK is FREE but If you like the program I ask that you at least consider registration. To register GSAK or see the benefits of registration click here or
from the GSAK website

Are you sure the $15.00 fee is a must after 30 days, I thought it was optional?

But yes, well worth it even if it is payable after 30 days.

Does GSAK allow direct downloads from the Geocaching website?And if so will it also download clues and other info that the 76CS unit is capable of accepting.

No direct downloads, but you can create pocket queries from Geocaching.com and load them into GSAK. Use the .gpx format.

Oh yea, you have to be a Premium member of Geocaching.com to use the PQ's

Edited by Quintheeskimo66
Does GSAK allow direct downloads from the Geocaching website?And if so will it also download clues and other info that the 76CS unit is capable of accepting.

while you cannot use GSAK itself to download the files from geocaching, you are only one click away.

- 1 - standard download - click the GC download button - and save it

- 2 - when the download is done, click open and it loads GSAK and installs the file as a record. If GSAK is already running it just installs the record.

you can't get much more simple than that outside the program itself.

<snip>

Are you sure the $15.00 fee is a must after 30 days, I thought it was optional?

But yes, well worth it even if it is payable after 30 days.

GSAK is a free program, but it disables itself after 30 days, then you have to uninstall and reinstall it, which makes it good for another 30 days.

It's free, but a pain.

Easier to just pay the $15 so you don't have to reinstall once a month.

Ed