degrees again

Dorro

We're fairly new to the geocaching game so we thought it wise to start out on familiar grounds. De cache van Mie Pils in Waalre, the Netherlands.

However, at the second waypoint it said, go in the direction of xxx degrees. What do they mean by that. Most of the waypoints looked like the following: N 51º 23.xxx E 005º 30.xxx. And that I understand.

But just xxx degrees.....???

North is zero degrees. East is 90 degrees. South is 180 degrees. West is 270 degrees.

When I am out on a cache I use my GPSr and estimate my bearing and have found two caches that way. I walk away from the first cache location with the 'GOTO' function still on. The heavy black line on my screen as I walk away from the cache shows the direction that I have gone away from the cache. I just estimate. My screen also shows distance from the cache.

Good luck.

Depending on the distance, you may also be able to Project a new waypoint on your GPS, if you don't have a compass handy. You give it a direction (the degrees you were given) and a distance and it makes a new waypoint for you to go to. It's a useful one that a lot of people don't know about. Check you rmanual on how to use it.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Hey, didn't my renewal check clear?

quote:
Originally posted by Moonbase:

Wow you got me; never seen that one before--XXX degrees. I am geussing but maybe it means ooo or true north. check your setting. You maybe in wrong format. go to map setup and take a look. danged if i know.

they were just saying it was 'xxx' degrees... could have been any three digit number between 100 and 359...

Yes, get a cheapo compass, it will help.

When using for other caches in the future, if you get a compass with NO declination adjustment, set your GPS North Reference setting to 'Magnetic' so that when your GPS says the bearing is 315*, you can use the compass to find 315* and off you go...