Which Is Better

Hi I very much a newbie but i have been usaing my grandparents GPS while i was visiting . I now back home and I do npt have a GPS. I h would like to continue caching but it is much more difficult with out a GPS> I have to run off of babysitting money so what is the cheapest and best working GPS? I know this is a strange question but please explain it all to me and if you can give a rough eastament of how much i need to save. Thanx~!

What GPS did your grandparents have? If it's Magellan I'd look at a Magellan since you are familiar with how they operate and if it's Garmin Garmin.

Magellan I have to admit normally has the best bang for the buck going at any given time, though the Garmin Legend is a great little GPS that can be found for a good price every now and then.

I am not sure which i used ( i am blonde please forgive my blondeness) I do apologize for my spelling if i misspell for I am not good with spelling and Grammar. If i can play with an electronic though i typically figure things out. I mean my Dad is the computer geek and so is my brother but i find myself explain a simpler way to do stuff to them. So i probably can ajust ( i know that is wrong just sound it out) to a different GPS. Thanks

Ok,

In general I've found Garmins are easier to use. Having said that look around for a basic eTrex yellow with computer cable (the cable is sold separatly). A eTrex Venture (it should come with the cable) or an etrex Legend.

You can also look at a Gecko but start with the 201 since you have the option to add a cable.

That should narrow down the field.

The cable lets you plug it into the computer and download waypoints right into the GPS. It's the one assessory that pays for itself as soon as you punch in a coordinate wrong and go on a goose chase.

Someone found a heck of a deal at Walmart recently for a GPS that might be worth a look.

Ok,

In general I've found Garmins are easier to use. Having said that look around for a basic eTrex yellow with computer cable (the cable is sold separatly). A eTrex Venture (it should come with the cable) or an etrex Legend.

You can also look at a Gecko but start with the 201 since you have the option to add a cable.

That should narrow down the field.

The cable lets you plug it into the computer and download waypoints right into the GPS. It's the one assessory that pays for itself as soon as you punch in a coordinate wrong and go on a goose chase.

Someone found a heck of a deal at Walmart recently for a GPS that might be worth a look.

Yes Walmart has a good deal too.

Etrex Yellow

I have a Sportrak Map, Meridian Platinum, and the Etrex Yellow. They all allow you to input waypoints manually.

The difference that I've noticed between the Yellow and the 2 Magellan units is how easy it is to input. It is easier on the Magellan units to change the waypoint names and add notes because they provide a keyboard-like screen to make it easier to "type" in the notes using the large center button.

With the Garmin Etrex Yellow, you have to scroll through a list to get each letter or number. It works, but it takes longer. Perhaps some of the other Garmin units have an easier method, but I have no experience with them.

Hope this helps :blink:

John

We are just learning about geocaching, and looking forward to getting started. After reading many posts, we've just bought the Garmin Legend, hoping that it brings all the necessary (but basic) features at an affordable price.

In case anyone is looking for a Legend, take a look at Amazon -- we bought it there for $130 (well actually, $160 less a $30 rebate), with free shipping. I think that offer is good through August 1.

Thanks !

Target stores around us had NEW Etrex for $85.00. Ususal is $99.00 EVERYDAY. I have used Garmin and Magellan. Like the Rocker Button for data input on Magellan, (seem only available on the higher prices Garmin units). Accuracy is about the same.. I have a M. 315, and really like it..found cahces easily, and better antenna than Garmin...My Opinion.

The difference that I've noticed between the Yellow and the 2 Magellan units is how easy it is to input.  It is easier on the Magellan units to change the waypoint names and add notes because they provide a keyboard-like screen to make it easier to "type" in the notes using the large center button. 

With the Garmin Etrex Yellow, you have to scroll through a list to get each letter or number.  It works, but it takes longer.  Perhaps some of the other Garmin units have an easier method, but I have no experience with them.

Hope this helps  :rolleyes:

John

I agree with you there but once you pass the yellow they all come with clicksticks, which i like, and some others dont. Try going to a store like REI or westmarine where the units are powered and on display so you can play with them

Edited by greengolftee87