Feature Request - Cache Desc. Download

settsu

Unless I'm already missing it, it'd be cool :D to have a file to download that has the cache description and optionally the Hints. I carry my Palm/case as a wallet so I'm partial. I don't know if anyone prints theirs' out, but I figure that's a waste of paper so I don't. It would also serve as a reference when searching and a easy way to make notes right after the find (or so far in my case: the failure) that I can then log on the cache page.

What do you think?!

Unless I'm already missing it, it'd be cool  :D  to have a file to download that has the cache description and optionally the Hints. I carry my Palm/case as a wallet so I'm partial. I don't know if anyone prints theirs' out, but I figure that's a waste of paper so I don't. It would also serve as a reference when searching and a easy way to make notes right after the find (or so far in my case: the failure) that I can then log on the cache page.

What do you think?!

Sounds like a great idea.

Edited by Mopar

I'm suggesting something much more generic and simplistic, along the lines of the free .LOC files vs. the Premium GPX

I suppose that would defeat the existing Premium benefit.

Thanks for the heads up, though.

No thanks for the sarcasm.

Edited by settsu
I'm suggesting something much more generic and simplistic, along the lines of the free .LOC files vs. the Premium GPX

I suppose that would defeat the existing Premium benefit.

Thanks for the heads up, though.

No thanks for the sarcasm.

Didnt really mean to be sarcastic, at least not in a mean way. Look at it this way;

It was kida like saying "I notice my GPS goes through a lot of batteries. Wouldn't it be a great idea if we had some kind of battery we could recharge when it went dead instead of tossing away? Maybe we could invent something out of lithium.

Seriously, it was meant jokingly. The PQ function is so useful that most of us can't imagine caching without it. You can use it (with various 3rd party applications) to store cache pages offline on a PC or PDA. You can use them to bulk upload waypoints to your gps. You can use them with mapping and routing software to plan caching vacations or just route a sunday trip from cache to cache. You can use it to keep a backup of your finds. You can use it to create various stats about your caching. The sky's the limit.

If you just want a dummy PQ to test the features and some of the 3rd party applications, you can get one here. Grab that and then try Watcher from www.clayjar.com. You might also pop into the GPS and Software forum and read about some other stuff like GSAK and GPX Spinner.

Thanks for all the detailed info Mopar. Very helpful!

I'll try those samples to see if they work better than the sample on the Geocaching site. That one transfered and showed up in Plam Reader, but opens with ALOT of random characters interspersed with the real info.

I'm considering the Premium Membership regardless of the benefits. I figure if you're going to support Geocaching.com, you do it to support the community and it shouldn't matter what you get out of it.

Not to say that perks are nice... :D

BTW, Harrald's app was 95% what I was thinking. It operates great and it's nicer still since you can quickly edit the Memo contents in Palm Desktop. BUT... Just one big problem, I'm not seeing a way to HotSync just the Memo pad...

I appreciate you guys jumping right in there with your responses!

Edited by settsu