What Exactly Is A Mystery Cache?

Thot

According to my personal definition:

A mystery cache can be:

1) a cache where you must solve a puzzle or similar to get the coordinates to the cache.

2) a cache where the coordinates are false, and you must an another cache to get the coordinates for this one.

3) a cache where the container or hiding place are so unique that it will be a surprise.

According to my opinion should all offset caches (caches with false coordinates) be a mystery cache.

According to my opinion should all offset caches (caches with false coordinates) be a mystery cache.

I would disagree with that.

First off, an off-set cache is a sub-category of the multi-cache. You are directed to some specific spot, then rather than finding or deriving the cache (or next stage) coordinates, some other method is used to direct you to the next or final location. For example, you may be given a compass direction and distance, or you may have to head a certain distance towards a specific landmark.

Note that this is different from a cache with false coordinates. False coordinates are where the coordinates are utterly meaningless; dummy coordinates to satisfy the cache entry form. In most cases, multi/offset caches don't use false coordinates. The coordinates listed are specific, and you have to actually go there to complete the cache.