Is it at all possible?

Daft Tart

Right, I am new to this and in need of my own GPS (borrowing one at the moment, but it's not too accurate). What I need is something cheep and accurate. Would also like 'position averaging' and on board compass, but doubt that comes cheep!! Am I asking the impossible??

If anyone has any recomendations, preferably under $200, please let me know make and model and, if possible, where I can get it. I don't mind second hand or refurbished equipment if it brings the price down.

Thanx in advance,

Daft Tart

I use a Magellan Meridian which has both of those features and you can usually find a deal on the forums here or on ebay. Another alternative is to look for a refurbished model, they are usually a bit cheaper and come with a warranty.

---------------------------------------------------

Free your mind and the rest will follow action-smiley-076.gif

If you're talking about the dups in the same forums... I recognized the problem. Groundspeak was having some serious issues that even some of the seasoned got sucked into the vortex.

And, if that's why you posted in different forums, then no problem.

Btw fwiw... was merely annoyed. It takes more than a bit to really tick me off these days.

Happy caching and a belated welcome to the sport!

Cheers!

TL

quote:
Originally posted by magellan315:

Daft, you may want to consider a Magellan 315 or a Garmin Etrex, which should run about $125. Good basic models for Geocaching until you can trade up. I've been using a Magellan 315 for two years with no problems.

Thanks for that. Any ideas if this model is as accurate as the meridian. As I said before, I got the GPS 3 which has an average acuracy of something stupid like 47ft. The lowest I have managed to get it (in totally open space) is 15ft. Some of these caches are hard enough to find without having to bushwack upto 100sq ft!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by TotemLake:

posted August 27, 2003 08:56 AM

If you're talking about the dups in the same forums... I recognized the problem. Groundspeak was having some serious issues that even some of the seasoned got sucked into the vortex.

And, if that's why you posted in different forums, then no problem.

Yep, that's why I posted it elsewhere too. BTW, WTF does FWIW mean??!! LOL

Thanx,

Daft Tart

quote:
Originally posted by TEAM 360:

For what it's worth, (FWIW), the mag 315 I had before I bought my Platinum was awesome! Dead-on accurate, I wish I still had it...

Thank you. I will most certainly look into that one when I get home to England next week. Thanks to everyone who's helped.....any other suggestions of good, accurate, inexpensive models are most welcome.

Daft Tart