Member Only Caches

MountainMacs

Just a quick thought on a potential revenue measure you could incorporate quite easily.....

Every week, I (as a free member) get an email from you with news and any new caches in my area. (this is great by the way) However to entice me and probably hundreds of people like me you should include a little teaser in the email that tells me how many "member only" caches are located in my area! (whether or not they are new, just keep hounding me with the info,.... a true "cacher" can't resist for long!)

To enhance this further, every time I do a search, at the top of the search page again tell me how many I cannot see! Even a cheap Scotsman such as myself cannot hold out for long :-)

To keep these numbers up, entice your members to hide more "member only" caches....

Just a thought, thanks for everything.

Just a quick thought on a potential revenue measure you could incorporate quite easily.....

Every week, I (as a free member) get an email from you with news and any new caches in my area. (this is great by the way) However to entice me and probably hundreds of people like me you should include a little teaser in the email that tells me how many "member only" caches are located in my area! (whether or not they are new, just keep hounding me with the info,.... a true "cacher" can't resist for long!)

To enhance this further, every time I do a search, at the top of the search page again tell me how many I cannot see! Even a cheap Scotsman such as myself cannot hold out for long :-)

To keep these numbers up, entice your members to hide more "member only" caches....

Just a thought, thanks for everything.

Doing this would changed the 'new caches and news' into new caches, and stuff we want to wave at you :o

Or you could put a special icon, perhaps shaped like a keyhole, on those MOCs thats you can't see.

You could also just generally encourage steady growth and some of those are bound to be extra special and listed as MOCs.

MOC are ok, but I am not really for hiding them. I like to hide caches that all can enjoy and find although I am planning on hiding a MOC bug rest stop. I will MOC that just to keep the noobs from plundering the bugs without knowing what they are and not logging them.

While I think your idea has merrit I also believe if that box is opened then the weekly notifications would become spam over time full of shameless self advertisement, which jeremy has the right to do btw.

I hope if it happens it is kept simple and unobtrusive.

i finally signed up as a premium member. its not like itll kill ya $3 a month. i spend more then that a week for 20oz soft drinks at work!

I dont see where there are that many member only features. I wish they could make it to have the name of the cache on the geocacing.com maps! that would be soooo much easier!

aj

To enhance this further, every time I do a search, at the top of the search page again tell me how many I cannot see!

If you're not seeing them, there aren't any in your area. MOC's will show up in a "nearest cache" search, you just won't be able to access the cache page.

I have recently started placing a few MOC in my area... I leave them as MOC for about a month to let the members have the first shot at finding them, then after a month or two, I edit the cache and "un check" the MOC box.

This encourages new people to sign up for memebership, yet allows everyone to eventually find the cache. I have had a few comments from people (including non-members) who thought that was a nice way to encourage people to join, yet still allows everyone to participate/find my caches eventually.