BETTER PRIZES!!

Pantalaimon

quote:
However, in one cache I found that hadn't been visited in a really long time, I left a wheresgeorge $100 bill (that's correct, no decimal...I was feeling generous). I didn't make any mention of it in the log, though. I just

wanted to see if anyone would comment. Seems I'm still the last to have found that cache, though.

I'm sure people are looking through your profile right now seeing which caches you found and figuring out which one has the $100 bill. I bet it doesn't last through the weekend

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Kelle

Someone suggsted going to white trash world, I mean Walmart and getting trading items in the camping section. I just got back from there and after dodging the large ladies in flip-flops and the kids with no shoes, I found some great deals in the camping section and it is back-to-school time so there are some good little trinkets in that area too.

So if you're looking for some new crayons or a pocket knife so can just follow behind be from cache to cache.

cool_shades.gif ---I will stand out, I am a raven in the snow.

quote:
Originally posted by Taz et al.:

I'm writing to advocate people putting a smidge bit better prizes in the caches they find. I cache in the Massachusetts area generally, and I'm tired of finding things like one chess pawn, a small plastic dinosaur, and other useless, uniteresting prizes in caches. I'm not saying you have to spend a bunch of cash on the cache, I would love to see a scratch ticket or two, a yo-yo or some other rinky-dink toy that people will get at least A LITTLE enjoyment out of. I mean, I understand that most of the fun in geocaching is in the hunt... but its disappointing to see cheesey prizes all the time. My and my cache-mates give homemade CD's, packets of Red Sox and Patriot stickers, scratch tickets, small toys, and other little impulse type items we find while we're shopping around. It doesn't take much to leave a somewhat thoughtful prize.

Well, that's my two cents.

Taz

Well, you didn't solve the problem by preachign to the choir. Trade up and trade often. Then you will be doing your part.

We've been rolling along for only a couple of months in the hobby, but we have found the best containers to find stuff in are the green ammo boxes.

Super solid, and basically waterproof (unless submersed I suppose) these blend in well, but are easy to find for a trained geocacher's eye.

They're also roomy enough to store tons of really nice doo-dads.

When we're eventually ready to plunk down a cache somewhere, this is the route we'll be going...I highly recommend! icon_smile.gif

Never hold back your step for a moment...

Never doubt that your courage will grow...

Hold your head even higher, and Into the Fire we go!

We've been rolling along for only a couple of months in the hobby, but we have found the best containers to find stuff in are the green ammo boxes.

Super solid, and basically waterproof (unless submersed I suppose) these blend in well, but are easy to find for a trained geocacher's eye.

They're also roomy enough to store tons of really nice doo-dads.

When we're eventually ready to plunk down a cache somewhere, this is the route we'll be going...I highly recommend! icon_smile.gif

Never hold back your step for a moment...

Never doubt that your courage will grow...

Hold your head even higher, and Into the Fire we go!

Ammo boxes are the best cache container by far. Though I haven't tried it, from what I read, they are watertight even after total submersion for extented periods. There were several accounts of boxes being under flood waters for a long time and coming up with the contents dry. There is one guy who is testing them for a possible underwater cache has had one at the bottom of his swimming pool for over a month without developing a leak.

They're pretty much animal proof (well all bets are off if a bear gets at one), and already camoflage (though a few squirts of different color paint help improve that) and the best part is that they're cheap. You can get both the .50 cal and the smaller .25 cal boxes for as little as $3.99 (if you know where to look). That's less than a similar sized RubberMaid container.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

I got my ammo boxes from Cheaper Than Dirt. They got here in less than a week, and although they are fairly heavy, the shipping was only 6 bucks for two of them. The base price was 3.99 for the .50 caliber size. That makes them about, hmm, 7 bucks apiece. Maybe half again as much as a heavy duty tupperware container, and a LOT more sturdy and serviceable. Not too bad, and if I had been willing to wait for my next trip to Dallas, I could have had them for even less by visiting the store. So if there aren't any surplus stores in your area, this place might be a good alternative.

Teresa (Adovbs)

P.S. And yes, I plan to start these two caches out with a decent collection of "treasures." icon_wink.gif

The Geek Shall Inherit the Earth.

I got my ammo boxes from Cheaper Than Dirt. They got here in less than a week, and although they are fairly heavy, the shipping was only 6 bucks for two of them. The base price was 3.99 for the .50 caliber size. That makes them about, hmm, 7 bucks apiece. Maybe half again as much as a heavy duty tupperware container, and a LOT more sturdy and serviceable. Not too bad, and if I had been willing to wait for my next trip to Dallas, I could have had them for even less by visiting the store. So if there aren't any surplus stores in your area, this place might be a good alternative.

Teresa (Adovbs)

P.S. And yes, I plan to start these two caches out with a decent collection of "treasures." icon_wink.gif

The Geek Shall Inherit the Earth.

<>

Personally I don't really care what I find in a cache. I usually leave some pretty kewl stuff in the caches I log. Part of my job involves making and reviewing games so I usually put a deck of cards or some type of mini game the caches I log. -- If I don't feel I have anything worthy to replace an item in a cache I simply opt not to take anything.

For me the 'prize' is the experience of the hunt and signing the log/reading the logs of others. I usually take something small to remind me of my journey. A coin, a rubber bug, subway token, broken watch... Doesn't matter how much value it has. I even took a brass button once.

I throw everything I find in a cigar box. Every item in the box has a journey and memory associated with it. I plan on placing all the items in one big mega-catch when I log my 100th cache (which I'm only 3 away from at the moment).

I've been to caches that had nothing but a soggy logbook and a pen which no longer writes. I certainly never felt cheated. Each cache has its own character. IT's the not knowing what you'll find which keeps me coming back.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

I just got a 7.62mm (.30 caliber?) ammo can for $4 plus $4 shipping. The guy says he has about a hundred more and will honor the same price. If you're interested, drop me a note and I'll give you his email address. (I would have posted it here, but I didn't want to swamp him with requests)

Disclaimer: I have no connection to this person, other than as a satisfied customer.

--t6

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there..