Advanced Skyview Page

crios2

Really not a big deal but I thought somebody might know about this.

I recently bought a Garmin eTrex Yellow and was working my way through the manual when I noticed that it seemed to be missing a certain feature. The manual says there is an "advanced skyview page" that you can access through the satellite page. When I hit enter nothing happens. I just get the cartoon of the satellites sending their signal to the little man. Anybody know why I can't access this feature?

It's really not that important, I've used this GPS to find my very first cache already and it worked fine, I just think it would be cool to know where the satellites are that I'm using to navigate.

Thanks

Chris

First, update your firmware. If its an older version it may not have the 'advanced skyview' screen.

Second, you have to tell it which screen to display for skyview. Go to the skyview page, and hit enter. This should bring up a list of two or three options. Select advanced and hit enter. Your etrex should now change screens (and show approxly were each sat in view is (overhead).

A new Yellow probably has the most recent firmware, since I don't think it's changed in quite some time now. Also, since the yellow etrex doesn't come with a data cable, they probably can't update it anyway. :)

?? You can update firmware no problem.... But you need a cable.

If its anything like the Gecko, when you are on the sat page (meaning the one that shows the location of the sats and which ones you are locked on to) you ARE on the advanced skyview page. The little guy with the sat signals is the standard skyview page.

Edited by briansnat
A new Yellow probably has the most recent firmware, since I don't think it's changed in quite some time now. Also, since the yellow etrex doesn't come with a data cable, they probably can't update it anyway. :)

?? You can update firmware no problem.... But you need a cable.

Correct. But the yellow Etrex doesn't come with the cable, and if you just bought the etrex (like the OP) chances are you didn't cough up the extra $45 for the separate factory cable, because if you had $150, you would have bought a the next model up, which comes with a cable. Like I said, moot point, since the yellow Etrex hasn't had a new firmware upgrade in over 2 years, it's pretty safe to assume it's already got the newest firmware.

Correct. But the yellow Etrex doesn't come with the cable, and if you just bought the etrex (like the OP) chances are you didn't cough up the extra $45 for the separate factory cable, because if you had $150, you would have bought a the next model up, which comes with a cable. Like I said, moot point, since the yellow Etrex hasn't had a new firmware upgrade in over 2 years, it's pretty safe to assume it's already got the newest firmware.

Doesn't come NEW (maybe its new maybe not they dont say) with the cable, and who know when it was released or where its been sitting.

You can get a cable for like $8 from gpsgeek off ebay. Even then I wouldn't bother, what I would get it for is so you can save hours of entering coords by hand.

Or better yet, find out if theres a nice local who can meet with you one on one (any upcoming events in Chicagoland?).

Really not a big deal but I thought somebody might know about this.

I recently bought a Garmin eTrex Yellow and was working my way through the manual when I noticed that it seemed to be missing a certain feature. The manual says there is an "advanced skyview page" that you can access through the satellite page. When I hit enter nothing happens. I just get the cartoon of the satellites sending their signal to the little man. Anybody know why I can't access this feature?

It's really not that important, I've used this GPS to find my very first cache already and it worked fine, I just think it would be cool to know where the satellites are that I'm using to navigate.

Thanks

Chris

Just to confirm everyone's suspicions about the eTrex yellow software versions, I owned an older eTrex yellow which had the little cartoon cartoon of the satellites sending their signal to the little man.

This GPS has since gone MIA, so I bought a new eTrex yellow and the updated software no longer has the cartoon of the satellites sending their signal to the little man. It has the advanced skyview screen.

You can do a simple check to see if this is the problem. In your eTrex Yellow Menu:

(1) Click Setup

(2) Click System

The software version should be 2.14. If you have anything less than that, outdated software is most likely your problem.

Updates are free on the garmen web site, however, as stated before, you need a cable. Maybe you know another cacher which has an etrex cable you can borrow just to update?

Edited by Nappy10
This GPS has since gone MIA, so I bought a new eTrex yellow and the updated software no longer has the cartoon of the satellites sending their signal to the little man. It has the advanced skyview screen.

Maybe its different for those manufactured with 2.14 (though I doubt it). On mine (updated to 2.14 from like 2.04) you could switch beween normal (cartoon man) and advanced (numerals in a circle) skyview by hitting enter on the screen and selecting the other.

Man, you guys are gonna make me go check Geo Ho's Yellow, huh? Naw, I'm already in bed on the laptop. <_<

First thing I did was get her a cable from gpsgeek (requisite plug: www.gpsgeek.com ), never, EVER had a problem with him. I know her GPS is something like 1.5yrs old, and it came with 2.14 installed

Maybe its different for those manufactured with 2.14 (though I doubt it). On mine (updated to 2.14 from like 2.04) you could switch beween normal (cartoon man) and advanced (numerals in a circle) skyview by hitting enter on the screen and selecting the other.

Wow! :mad: I withdrawl my previous comment as I have just discovered that I too can switch the different views. :mad:

[Pause as Nappy10 removes his foot from his mouth] <_<

Well I guess we can all learn something everyday! I guess the answer would be to press enter and hit "Advanced Skyview." <_<

I bought this yellow off of ebay and it also came with a cable, so I'm in luck. I checked the software and it's 2.08. Now I have to figure out how to download it using the cable.

Thanks

Chris

(By the way, I don't ever think I've been on a forum that has been so helpful.)

I bought this yellow off of ebay and it also came with a cable, so I'm in luck. I checked the software and it's 2.08. Now I have to figure out how to download it using the cable.

Thanks

Chris

(By the way, I don't ever think I've been on a forum that has been so helpful.)

Chris,

I too bought my little yeller eTrex off eBay, with a cable and a little wetsuit style holster.

I went to the garmin website and downloaded the 2.14 firmware upgrade to my laptop. I plugged in my eTrex Yeller Feller, connecting it to the serial port of the laptop, and then executed the firmware EXE file.

Like magic it was done in about 30 seconds or so.

Now I'm current as it gets for this model.

Now...can anyone tell me the feature diff between the yeller feller and the camo feller?

Hikezilla - Over and Out