Atlanta And Outlying Area Must Do Caches

Squealy

I am going to be in Atlanta the last weekend of July and want to know which are the MUST DO caches?

Any cool or unusual hides? Great places to hike?

Stone Mountain? Yellow River? What's my best bet?

Please let me know - your help is greatly appreciated.

-Squealy

Edited by Squealy

Well most bang for the buck would be Sone Mountain Park. I believe there are now 17 caches in the park. I suggest doing the two multi's and hitting the singles as you make your way around the park. The Yellow rivers are a lot of walking as well as the Tribble mills. Do you want puzzles are or are you just looking for increasing numbers?

If you have the time, and a car, I suggest Amicalola State Park area..

N34 33.197 W84 14.913 is the entrance to the park.

If you enter the park, at N34 34.187 W84 14.792 you can drive back into the Chattahoochee National Forest where there are quite a few caches. in some really pretty areas.

You'll want 4WD or at the least a high ground clearance vehicle.

Cheers

Just Northwest of atlanta is the Silver Comet Trail - a long trail for bike riders and walkers that stretch for miles -- there are quite a number of caches along the trail.

Might want to check out the Georgia Geocachers web site http://www.ggaonline.org There is a list of awards for best caches.

Here is one cache along the trail : Silver Comet Cross Tie Cache this might give you a general idea of what is in the area. There are a lot of caches in that area.

One of my favorites that I found recently is this one : Humpty Dumpty and the Silver Bullet Nice little micro and there is a Travel Bug Motel not far from there.

Good Luck!

Thanks to all who posted - looks like I have some reading to do.

I should be hitting my 600th down there - so while I am looking for a few numbers - it doesn't have to be anything too crazy - I'm much more interested in a good hike in a cool area - being able to hit caches is always a bonus.

I am not a huge puzzle fan - but the idea of doing the multi's and banging out the others as I go sounds good.

I probably won't rent a high clearance vehicle - but may keep the car for two day while there - so hopefully I will be able to hit a few of all of your suggestions.

Thanks again!

Stone Mountain is an excellent place to start. Come on a Saturday and you can cache the day long and stay for the laser show. It is totally cool!

The GGA holds a contest each year for the best caches in the state. For 2003 we thought that these caches are the ones to not miss. Most aren't in Atlanta proper, but they will get you to some really interesting parts of the state.

Let me know approximately when you'll be in the area and we can see about a meet and greet.

Cache on!