Canada Day Is Coming!

DocMagoo

Alright, I have a wishlist. Canada Day is coming and for Canada's Birthday, I had some ideas that might make GC.com a bit more hospitable (not that it already isn't) to the uniqueness of Canada. These would make great presents to the members north of the 49th parallel (and lower in some areas :blink: ) in time for July 1st:

1) why do the geocaching.com maps show Canada as this great big grey void? Yet south of the border the map images show lakes, rivers, mountains, etc. At least, we could be the "Great White North".... WISH #1....maps that would show Canada in it's majesty.....lotsa lakes, water, mountains....you get the idea.

2) under the user stats "list of items found", you can see a breakdown of various items including US geocoins, Moun10Bike coins, and other coin counts..... WISH #2..... that this page would recognize Canadian Geocoins.

Darn, ran out of steam already.....

What features would you like to see on GC.com that take into account the "Canadian" factor?

Doc

I agree that both items would be nice to see. Jeremy's working on the maps but there's a problem with out of date politically incorrect place names. As for the geocoins I think the original USA coins were grandfathered in under the TB system and those that came later are out of luck. There was some discussion in the forums about being able to buy just the TB numbers which coin makers could put on their products but the increased cost might raise the price of the coins.

Another thing I would like to see is benchmarking hunting in Canada. There've been several discusions in the forums but nothing has been implemented yet.

...As for the geocoins I think the original USA coins were grandfathered in under the TB system and those that came later are out of luck. There was some discussion in the forums about being able to buy just the TB numbers which coin makers could put on their products but the increased cost might raise the price of the coins.

Another thing I would like to see is benchmarking hunting in Canada. There've been several discusions in the forums but nothing has been implemented yet.

Thanks for the response PDOPs. The geocoins as a TB was something I didn't know about. Recently, we had a US geocoin locally and I thought, "Hey, that's neat that a graphic shows up on the cache page notifying all that something special was dropped in the cache." I wonder if they would reconsider and reinstate geocoins as a moveable type TB item.

Good point on benchmarking....the closest benchmarks that we have access to are on Point Roberts, near Blaine, Washington.

Anyone else?

I agree with the benchmarks and would like to hunt them here also.

Last year I went to the dollar store and bought all that Canada stuff they had for cheap and placed a Canada Day cache. But it went missing and I archived it.

Why not have everyone find a spot in Canada that they really think is great and place a cache there so all others can enjoy it.

This would be a really neat coast to coast project we could work on so.

Maybe we could do it on the trans Canada trail and have a link of caches right across the country or the trans Canada highway for those traveling.

I hope this does not high jack your thread. If it does we will start another one.

:lol:

I agree with the benchmarks and would like to hunt them here also.

Last year I went to the dollar store and bought all that Canada stuff they had for cheap and placed a Canada Day cache. But it went missing and I archived it.

Why not have everyone find a spot in Canada that they really think is great and place a cache there so all others can enjoy it.

This would be a really neat coast to coast project we could work on so.

Maybe we could do it on the trans Canada trail and have a link of caches right across the country or the trans Canada highway for those traveling.

I hope this does not high jack your thread. If it does we will start another one.

:unsure:

Naw, the comment about benchmarks seems to be a common thought/wish.

The Trans-Canada series of caches would be kinda cool....never thought of that. :lol:

Apart from the "Great Grey North" maps, I think I'm pretty happy with the GC stuff.

I cannot think of other "Canadian Style" content.

I also think that asking for stuff usually invokes one of the two responses

1.... "We are working on that" (Go away, it's not interesting enough)

2.... "That's been suggested before" (We don't know how to do that)

:huh: The Blue Quasar

I've launched a few Canadian geocoins. Bit of a pain not being able to track them on geocaching.com, but it's not the end of the world either.

Improvements I'd like to see:

1) Link to a translation site like babelfish.altavista.com or some other place that can translate the english cache listings into other languages, and vice versa. Yeah, it's machine translation, but it's better than nothing and would allow more exposure to this hobby, particularly for French Canadians.

2) A general item, not specific to canadians, would be a link that shows what accounts are watching a cache or TB.

3) The WAP gateway, which is a really cool idea, seems to have a few issues (at least with me, it keeps rejecting my log entries :huh: ). A WAP gateway is a very handy feature that I'd love to use more if ti worked better.

Generally, the geocaching.com site is pretty good. It seems to be well run and quite stable, so kudos to the people who operate it.

Im a Canadian living in Iowa. I have lived down here for the last four years. Although many have tryed no one has be able to:

1) get me to take the u out of colour

2) convince me that I must know their friend, brother, uncle..whoever in Toronto

3) get me to speak french. Nothing against Quebec but I grew up in Alberta. Not all Canadians speak french!

4) convince me that Texas is bigger than Canada. I was actually asked by someone in Kansas" Do you have towns and cities up there?"

I miss Canada very much. Last month I was able to go back for the first time since leaving. We loaded up with all the dollar store Canadian stuff we could carry. Almost evey cache we visit we place something Canadian in it. Sometimes it may only be a toothpick with a Canadian flag on it. Other times it may be a Looney or a tooney. I have not seen Canadian Geo coin in Iowa yet.

I agree it is "koo roo koo koo koo koo koo koooooo!"

not loo

I found the DVD down here at Best Buy