Backtrack Not Working?

I have had the Etrex Vista for about two weeks, learning more about it as each day passes.

But the backtrack is driving me up a wall. I simply cannot get it to work as described in the manuals or in the Etrex advertising literature. I've tried to use it walking, driving in a car and in a boat on a very large lake. The backtrack function sends me off in the wrong direction and completely misses turns every time. If I restart Trackback, it will adjust the heading correctly, but then will hold onto that heading and take me back off course. And I'm talking WAAAY off course, not just the deviation due to GPS accuracy. Signal strength is never worse than 30 feet either when laying the track or trying to return using Trackback. I've tried various record methods as well, to no avail.

Hopefully there is some simple setting that I'm missing, or other action that I need to take. If all the Vista GPS's have this level of accuracy on their Trackback, I'm amazed Garmin even bothers to put it in the GPS.

Thanks, all, for any help you can give me.

Here's something you can try yourself.

Try uploading the latest firmware to the unit. This can be downloaded for free from Garmin's website. Having owned an eMap from new, they do make changes and fixes to the firmware that aren't necessarily documented. :-)

I'd still love to get a schematic for this thing...<sigh>

C-A

Edited by Couparangus

Although the tracklogging abilities on Garmin units is pretty good, the backtrack function is horrible (and a joke). There use to be a page on Joe and Jacks website that showed the backtrack funtion and it's lack of following the actual path one took. I know the trackback function on my GPS V (v 2.50) is also severly lacking.

There probably is nothing wrong with your unit.

Wyatt W.

... the backtrack function is horrible (and a joke).

I have to disagree with you on that one, at least on the Legend. I first used back-tracking, to see how it worked, driving to and from work, and it worked like a charm. Subsequently used it on the highway, in the woods, on trails. It's managed to get me back each time.

the backtrack function is horrible (and a joke).

I must confess I seldom use it on my eMap & GPSmap units and just rely on visually following the electronic breadcrumb trail. That with the visual knowledge of where I've been is usually adequate to get me back to my starting point.

Now if the batteries die I'm hopelessly lost. ;)

C-A