GPS Receivers

dmweb

I am new to geocaching and would like to purchase a receiver that could be used for geocaching as well as hiking. I have looked at a number of receivers and am considering the pros and cons of the following. They are close in price but I would like some input as to which would be best for my uses

I actually have the Garmin eMap, which is similar in features as the eTrex. Been very happy with it. I love the PC link, and the external antenna (we have some tall trees around here, Redwoods)

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. The rest go geocaching.

I second the Legend suggestion. The major differences are that the Summit has a barometer and compass, and the Legend has a higher resolution screen, a PC cable included, 8mb of memory and the ability to download street or topo maps. The Legend is also cheaper (based on MSRP).

I say get the Legend and a decent compass and you're set. Lots of people say that the altitude accuracy with a GPSr isn't very good, but I disagree. When I check the GPSr against places where the elevation is known, it's rarely off by more than 10 feet.

--

perl -MMIME::Base64 -e "print decode_base64('SU1BR0VTIFJFTU9WRUQgQlkgT1ZFUkJFQVJJTkcgQURNSU5T')"

I would go with the Legend over the Summit. The magnetic compass and barometric altimeter in the Summit are nice, but mapping is a much more useful feature. Since the prices are about the same, go with the Legend.

Since you're a hiker, when you're ready for better maps, get the Mapsource Topo.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

I got my first GPSr for sailing and hiking/mountaineering - it is an eTrex Summit.

The altimeter feature is a nice one, but the compass sucks - better to get a 'real' one.

Advantage: no batteries involved! And IMHO much more accurate.

I now have also the Legend, which is much better in the GPS features, so I am using that mainly for Caching now, and found myself using it for trekking etc. too.

Perhaps you should have a look on the eTrex Vista, which is a Legend+more Memory+Altimeter+compass.

I voted for the GPS 72, based on my good experience with my GPS 76. But if you plan to buy the data cord, it might be worth a few extra bucks to get the GPS 76 which comes with the cord. You also get a higher resolution display and a few other features. The GPS 76 works great, even in heavily wooded areas.

FWIW,

CharlieP