Zed

I read somewhere about a sub-cache idea about logging a visit to a location that has 911 in the latitude or longitude and is also some kind of emergency service headquarters. For instance, if you find a Police Station that is located at 105 10.911w 40 33.911 it would qualify.

Does something like this already exist somewhere within GeoCaching.com?

Is it already in place elsewhere?

Would it merit a new clasification as a kind of special Virtual Cache?

Not locationless. They are very tied to a location. It is somewhat akin to confluence locations. You look for lat/long numbers that have 911 in them that are in a parking lot or very near a firestation, hospital etc.

I am pretty sure I am not clever enough to have thought of it myself. I am trying to remember where I saw the concept and if it is already being done.

Not locationless. They are very tied to a location. It is somewhat akin to confluence locations. You look for lat/long numbers that have 911 in them that are in a parking lot or very near a firestation, hospital etc.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#reverse

Locationless caches are a variation of virtual caches, but with no specific location to visit.  Instead, the cache hunter is instructed to search for an object that meets certain criteria and report its coordinates.  Many times the seeker is also asked to provide an original photograph of the location to provide proof of visitation.

In the future these will have their own section, but currently there is a moratorium on new locationless caches.

Unfortunately since there's no specific location, this would probably be listed as a locationless cache and not approved. Sorry.

It has been done already. It was a virtual that was created before locationless caches really got their own category. Any new cache of that type would be a locationless and could not be submitted at this time.

To quote the note when the user archived the cache:

Thanks to all of you who where watching this cache. I have just had it with the cachers that can't seem to meet the requirements and then get nasty with me about it. I think I am done with owning a virtual cache for a while.

So, thanks to everyone who logged this cache. It was fun for a while but it got to be too much work at the end.

Thanks Ladybug! That is exactly what I was looking for. I found a couple canidates here in the metro Denver area but then could not remember even where I had encountered the concept.

Your 911 was a cool idea and it is sad that you were forced to archive the cache.

I can understand your frustration though. I have one virtual cache located in Boulder Colorado that I placed simply because Boulder has banned real caches. I figured that at least this way there would be one more within the city limits. I had one visitor refuse to adhere to the guidlines that I established (pretty liberal I believe - Sphere is it's name) and got beligerent when I kept deleting her logs. Strange. I checked out her specs and saw that she had over 100 visits but zero caches placed. Some folks must have a natural parasitic kind of mentality is all I can determine :lol:

Some folks must have a natural parasitic kind of mentality is all I can determine  :lol:

Some folks also don't like placing caches. And some take way too long to plan their caches. And some realize that maintaining a cache is a responsibity that they feel they shouldn't assume at this point in their lives.

Place a cache you can't maintain and be insulted or don't place one and be insulted. This place will get you both ways.

Hmmmm, I'm thinking about this matter...

Would it not be possible to hind a cache at police station where the coordinates are .911, and require the finder to do something extra to be able to log it?

Like:

"In order to log this cache must you also take a photo of yourself in front of a police car with your GPS in the hand."

or

"In order to log this cache must you also find an other police station that has .911 in their coordinates, and state these coordinates in your log."

It is a traditional cache with a twist...!

You must find a cache, but you must also do something extra to be allowed to log it.

I don't see anything wrong in it, as long as it is stated clearly that people MUST do this.

Edited by hedberg
Would it not be possible to hind a cache at police station where the coordinates are .911, and require the finder to do something extra to be able to log it?

Like:

"In order to log this cache must you also take a photo of yourself in front of a police car with your GPS in the hand."

Hmmm. I'm not sure if I would want to encourage people to walk up to and examine police vehicles while holding electronic gadgets which only they know to be harmless. Especially in the US at the present time. And I think I'm one of the leading members of the "oh come off it, a cache is not a bomb" tendency !

Edited by sTeamTraen
Would it not be possible to hide a cache at police station where the coordinates are .911

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#offlimit

Caches near or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings and airports.

Even if you were to get permission from the local police department in writing, I'd be a little questioning about the rider you're suggesting.

Edited by bons