Cant wait to get started in Riverside Ca

NuAdventure4me

I have never heard of this until I was watching the Travel Channel tonight and they had the best treasure locations on and the GeoCaching was in the top 10 and so I logged on and thought it sounded so fun,especially when I saw that a bunch of Caches are hidden by where I live and work, I cant wait to buy a GPS unit and start hunting, I stopped walking my dog in the hills by my house, I just wasnt getting motivated anymore but now I have something to look forward to on my walks, and just thinking about the future adventure im about to get into I have a few really good places to hide a Cache when I get started icon_biggrin.gif, I havent been excited to do anything for a long time and this sounds so fun to me,im excited already. I guess I will talk to you guys when im able to start hiding and finding, happy hunting.

Laura

[This message was edited by NuAdventure4me on July 25, 2002 at 06:42 AM.]

Well, there are people out there who can find the caches with out a GPS. As far as hiding one, no, that wouldn't work. To find one without a GPS you can go to the cache page, go to the map links at the bottom, and look at the topo map, and try to figure it out from that. I've never tried it, but there are people out there that do it.

jhwf4

Where's my Rubber Chicken with the RASH?! I got some heads to smack... Hey, here's some black berries too!

Let's see, if I stuff the rubber chicken in jhrf4's pants and then rub blackberries all over his skinny Mr. Bean-pole body (Grizz love blackberries!) Then, I will sick grizz1 on him, jghqfry6 will beat the grizzley to death with the rubber chicken, but only after the grizz eats his skin! They will destroy each other! Yeah, that's the ticket... icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

--majicman

quote:
Originally posted by jhwf4:

A RASH is majicmans messed up acronym for geocaching. Don't listen to him...I did...he poisoned my brain...ah flashbacks...he's taking over.

jhwf4

That's the sort of dribble I'd expect from someone from a town named "BRAINerd"... icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

P.S. RASH is "Recreational Activity / Sport / Hobby"

--majicman

(NEVER get "off-topic." These threads are ALL far too serious for that!)

quote:
Originally posted by NuAdventure4me:

I went out to find my first two caches today, didnt locate either one of them, im frustrated already, I will wait to see if they are still their and try again, I will try to hide my first one and see how it goes.

Laura

Laura,

First off, welcome to our addiction! I'm a fellow SoCal geocacher out here in OC. There are lots of caches and even more wonderful geocachers living in or around the Inland Empire who you may want to get in touch with if you need help finding a particular cache (just to curb your frustration a bit).

Don't worry, it's a lot of fun and you will be on a roll once you get a few finds under your belt. However, I wouldn't recommend hiding any caches yet; just sit back and hunt down a few. It's really best to get more experience finding caches before hiding one of your own.

Have fun (I know you will) and maybe we'll see you on the trail one of these days!

quote:

I went out to find my first two caches today, didnt locate either one of them, im frustrated already, I will wait to see if they are still their and try again, I will try to hide my first one and see how it goes.

Laura

Laura,

Check out a cache called Mega Volt. It's right off the 215 near Murrietta. A bit of a drive for you, but it's easy as pie to find.

Our first try at caching started the same as yours. I nearly broke my thumb the first time, but was determined to bag my first find! As of Sunday, we now have 10 finds. I cache with my hubby (usually) and two children ages 2 & 8 mos.

We've purchased an ammo can & started filling it with goodies for our first hide. Although we haven't selected a site yet, we've got some good ideas.

Enjoy this new activity! FWIW: Read as many of the posts as you can. You'll not only learn alot, but also get to know some very fun people!

Fairy tales & happy trails help old women stay young.

I had a lot of help when I first started out. My brother-in-law is the top cacher in Idaho and kind of helped me with my finds, and my GPS purchase. You can get away with spending a lot less then I did on the GPS, but some of the features on the more expensive GPS such as the ability to download Topo maps sure can be a lot of help. I suggest you do as much research as possible on this subject before you make your purchase so you wont be disappointed.

Thanks for the advice guys, I just put in 7 more waypoints to go find this weekend, so I will keep trying.

CWalker: Sometimes I go to SanDiego via the 215 and go right pass that cache you said was real easy, the next time I go I will try that one.

Mother Gootz: icon_redface.gif Its funny that you said you almost broke your thumb (well not really funny) When I was looking for my first one I picked up a rock to see if it was under there and when I droped the rock I forgot to move my thumb and thought I had pinched it off, that was when I decided to quit for the day.

One other thing, does the elevation matter if I dont change it when I am inputing the numbers for the caches im going to find?

Laura

quote:

One other thing, does the elevation matter if I dont change it when I am inputing the numbers for the caches im going to find?

Laura

Be careful, otherwise you might be looking down at the needle and when you get to the cache, you'll find you are 10-20 feet off the ground. Or, if you end up 240 below the ground like 9 geocachers in PA did last weekend, it will take three days to get you out.

Seriously, I have a Garmin Venture, and it has some altitude figuring by the satellites, but no real altimeter, so I just ignore it. I have never had a problem. I never input an altitude, or change one that shows up, and I have found almost 80 caches to date.

stealyourcache.jpg

Talk about your plenty, talk about your ills

One man gathers what another man spills - St. Stephen (on caching)

-Dru Morgan www.theheavenlyhost.com/dru

icon_frown.gif OK, I tryed this morning to find 4 caches that are in the same area, I think Im doing something wrong, here are my logs for today and you will see how I did.

My third attempt to find a cache and had no luck, the gps got me to 4 feet and saw bamboo, looked all around, got to a spot where my feet just went through the dirt, thought the earth was caving in around me so I got out of there, this geocaching is harder then I thought.

Well, here is another one I couldnt find, the gps got me to 0.0 feet, I looked up and down the trail each side, poked around the ivy, didnt want to go in too far, didnt want to poke a snake or anything, so I gave up after about 30 min before I pulled all my hair out, the good thing was my dog was having a good time jumping in and out of the water

And another sad face, couldnt find this one either, didnt even come close to this one, got within 500+ feet, when the unit said I was going the right direction there was no more trail and nothing but ivy, I didnt want to go through 500 feet of ivy, no telling whats living in there. I think im doing something wrong here.

I just cant get the hang of this, got to within 20 feet, looked all through the bamboo and nothing, maybe I have to dig deeper in the bushes but im afraid of spiders, little ones are ok but not the big harry one's. This was my 4th cache that I tryed to find today I NEED HELP! I almost got lost trying to get out of here, kept going down dead end trails, then I just followed my Shepherd out.

Laura

Laura,

I cannot answer some of your first questions but I have found that some caches have more than one "approach" make sure you read all of the clues in the details, example one time my gps indicated I had past the cache and it looked like I was going to have to go through some pretty nasty brush, I re-read the hints and it said to continue down the path which I did and circled the cache for a bit and ran into another path that took me right to the cache without getting too close to nature. icon_redface.gif)

Keep at it and hope you have good luck on your next try!

Jim

massillon ohio

stark county skywarn

packet radio

long haul 802.11b

aprs

linux

mac os x

warchalking

geocaching

gps art

recumbent bikes

extreme kites

Laura,

Another tip I forgot to include if your out in the sticks..... waypoint yor vehicle before you start into the bush.

Jim

massillon ohio

stark county skywarn

packet radio

long haul 802.11b

aprs

linux

mac os x

warchalking

geocaching

gps art

recumbent bikes