Pdas Again

I've been following the what PDA post over the last few days and decided to take the plunge & make a purchase via Ebay.Tried to buy a PalmIIIxe but was unsuccessful.1st time on Ebay, not good for the nerves, & I got my timing completely wrong, but I think I have now got the idea of bidding late.Reason for my post is , there are plenty of other palms on there ie M100,m105, VX etc which are presumably later models. Will they still do the same job if I can get one for around the £20-£30 mark? I'm a PDA virgin as well as Ebay.

Thanks for any help.

RayAL&boys

I'm unaware of any caching sofware for the Revo.

I did used to have one a long time ago, but can't for the life of me remember if it had a web browser. If so, you might be able to pull the cache webpages across for viewing on the move. Then just log cache find details in some kind of note taker/word processor for entering into the website later.

Alternatively, pick up a cheap Palm OS PDA for caching.

- Neil.

I'm unaware of any caching sofware for the Revo.

I did used to have one a long time ago, but can't for the life of me remember if it had a web browser. If so, you might be able to pull the cache webpages across for viewing on the move. Then just log cache find details in some kind of note taker/word processor for entering into the website later.

Alternatively, pick up a cheap Palm OS PDA for caching.

- Neil.

Thanks.

I noticed in another thread about pda that someone is using a Zire

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...c=71015&hl=pdas

Theses are cheapish on ebay but will they work?

I must admit that I don`t have a clue about pda`s but would rather use a pda than reams of paper.

Geo

I noticed in another thread about pda that someone is using a Zire

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...c=71015&hl=pdas

Theses are cheapish on ebay but will they work?

I must admit that I don`t have a clue about pda`s but would rather use a pda than reams of paper.

Geo

The Zire will work fine with Cachemate. As the Zires use PalmOS 5 you just need to check that any software you use is OS 5 compatible (which Cachemate is).

However you can't hook it up to a GPS as none of the new entry-level Palms come with the Universal Connector.

hth

MarkGPX

However you can't hook it up to a GPS as none of the new entry-level Palms come with the Universal Connector.

hth

MarkGPX

That`s O.K I`ll only be using it with an etrex yellow, I`m only thinking about getting one so I don`t need to have lots of paper print out when I`m out on the trail.

Geo

:lol: ...and of course, if you do not have the cable to attach the GPS to the PDA, you can always revert to simply inputtting the current co-ordinates into the search faclility in CacheMate.

I maintain a memo page in my Palm to record a list of co-ordinates for friends and family. A simply cut and paste from there does the business for the most common repeat searches.

harold1066

Up until recently getting an iPAQ, I had been using my revo plus for paperless caching.

Great because I didn't really care whether it got bashed or not.

Get a free copy of mobipocket reader and you can get your pocket queries in ebook format. You will get the cache description, a couple of previous logs and an appendix with decrypted clues.

You can then make your cache notes with the notepad or word function and copy them over when you sync the PDA.

You can also use the OPERA secure web browser (from the psion cd) and an IR connection to a mobile phone to get an internet connection 'in the field'. It is quite slow though.

Don't think you can use any mapping software or connect your GPSr to it (although there is a serial connector, I don't think there is any software available - I searched for a long time)

radar