Colorado Vacation

WindChill

I posted this in the forums over at the C.A.C.H.E. site, but they dont seem to get much activity, so Ill copy it here also:

The WindChill family will be in Colorado in a week or so on vacation, and Im looking for recommendations on some "must see" caches. We'll be staying in Denver but wandering around the whole area from Colorado Springs to Ft Collins (and eventually north to the Black Hills).

We prefer traditionals over virtuals or micros, but any cache that lets us really experience the area will be great. Oh Yah, we are "flatlanders" so not too big of a hike please

We will be in the area for several days, so other suggestions are also welcome. We have a pretty good list of the tourist places, but lesser-known attractions or resturants would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

We just took a vacation from Kansas to Montana and then onto the Black Hills. Our most favorite cache site north of Denver was Riverside Bug Hotel (GCHA41). It has a beautiful waterfall in the area and is very easy to get to from the highway.

While you are in Denver, if you like Mexican food Casa Bonita is a wonderful place to eat. There is live entertainment including indoor cliff divers - it has been 11 years since I have been though.

Any cache set by Tahosa is a good place to look. Also Zoltig, Jim Reeb and several more. Personally I feel the best Virtual in the state is A truly great Human Being by LaPaglia (GC8AA3). But I might be a little prejudiced. Navajo Park Cache by unirider16 (GCHANR) is a great little cache. Not a drive and dash but not a really hard one either. It is in a great area. Send me an E-maill and Ill give you my phone number in case you need more info while you are here.

Michael LaPaglia/CO Admin

Some good tourist attractions are Red Rocks Ampitheatre, Six flags Elitch Gardens (also has a water park), The Denver Museum of Nature and Science (also has a planetarium and an IMAX theatre), The Denver Mint, Waterworld, The Children's Museum, and Ocean Journey (also has a restaurant). The afformentioned are all family friendly. Coors Brewing Company (Golden) offers tours, as does Budweiser (Ft. Collins). I think that The Coors tour is better, but then again, I am biased because my geo partner (and fiance) works for Coors. :o:o If you are interested in history, Lookout Mountain (located in Golden) has a Buffalo Bill museum as well as his grave. That's all I can think of for now, but you can feel free to email me or PM me. I will post other suggestions if I see any. Sorry that I can't suggest any caches, but I am fairly new to the sport! :D Have fun and enjoy our wonderful state! B)

The WindChill family will be in Colorado in a week or so on vacation, and Im looking for recommendations on some "must see" caches.  We'll be staying in Denver but wandering around the whole area from Colorado Springs to Ft Collins (and eventually north to the Black Hills).

May I suggest Tour Historic Manitou Springs and/or GCF9F9. The later requires some hiking up hill at an evelvation of about 7000 feet. But the rewards are good, not a bunch of trash.

On the other hand, grab a trash bag and go to Glen Eyrie RM2. You can drive practically up to it. Great view plus a mystery find.

But if you really want an easy one with no sight seeing, try COS Bug Depot. This one takes you east of downtown toward the airport. Hardly have to get out of your car for this one. Might rate it as 0.5-0.5. Really a flatlander!

Edited by Colorado Papa

Look me up and I'll give you a good tour of the Loveland area. I have caches from simple virtuals to a short one in the hills, could be done by a flatlander. You name it and we can probably find what you are looking for. Stop by Corey's stash and if I'm home we can chat caches.

And Loveland has a real good Mexican Restaurant, trust me I'm a Chef and I eat there. Um Um Good. Bueno Bueno

Edited by Tahosa and Sons