Ique Question

With Garmin the GPS would be integrated, you don't need to buy third party software to run the GPS and show maps (assuming you don't use a Magellan).

I looked up a highly rated GPS add on for a Pocket PC and couldn't find what the basic software was. For things like Goto, waypoint managment etc.

There is a Pocket PC GPS combo out there. You can find the review on zdnet.com under handheld and "Newest" It's not Garmin though.

I've played with one, but I don't own one, so I can't comment too much. However...

• The package comes with a full version of City Select, so you should not have to purchase any additional software for mapping, however...
  • The maps are integrated into the Palm Desktop, not using MapSource, so you don't have a good desktop mapping package. There may be a way around this that a real iQue owner could explain. I thought about taking my friends' disks and merging them with my MapSource installation to see if it could be done, but I ran out of time.
  • Battery life is a problem although subsequent firmware releases have helped this out I'm told. With the GPS running and the screen on, you will only get 3-4 hours in the field.

-E

Though many people find the included app MapInstall fine, the more sophisticated users will want to download and install the MapSource update off the web. It will also install maps to the iQue as well as get tracks from the iQue. Though I don't own an iQue, I've borrowed one and I really like it.

You could do some reading here It is a forum dedicated to the iQue.

This is a FAQ put together by members of the above forum that has a ton of good info.

The iQue has limited battery life and is not super rugged or waterproof. I would have reservations about recommending it for serious hiking. For autorouting, lite hiking, and as a PDA it is great!

You can still use the iQue with Mapsource but the transfer of waypoints is not as simple as with other Garmin units since the iQ uses the internal Palm address book to store waypoiints.

The screen is fabulous and having the ability to store maps on SD cards it great. Also, there are a bunch of cool programs for Palm devices. Check it out.

-MIQ

Garmin now has one for the PocketPC Garmin cf Que 1620

Location awareness, address and points-of-interest look-up features, electronic mapping, automatic route generation, and off-route recalculation

Basemap with highways, major streets, rivers, lakes, coastal waters, and significant borders

64 MB of memory that can store detailed map data from Garmin’s exclusive line of MapSource cartography

Voice guidance (on PocketPCs equipped with audio capabilities)

Installs securely in a standard Type I or Type II CompactFlash slot

Comes with the MapSource City Select® (U.S./Canada or Europe)