Enforcement Of Cache Saturation Rule....

I was just wondering how strict the enforcement of the Cache Saturation rule of not allowing caches within .1 miles of each other. Here is my situation. I have been planning to place a cache in a forest preserve quite near my house for the last few months. I have visited the location twice to get a good average reading and I have the cache fully prepared and was going to place it this week finally. I even have a pile of rocks at the location ready to cover my cache. This past weekend, another geocacher hid a geocache .09 miles from my chosen location. Should I take a chance a place the cache and submit the cache for aproval? or should I just scrap my chosen hiding spot and find a new place?

Thanks for the help.

Aaron

Elangomatt

My guess is you snooze you lose. Now if there is some rugged terrain such as a river or lake in between you might be able to convince the mods to bend the rule a little, but, if it's just a request to bend it because you didn't get out the door? Then, I'd hazzard to say you haven't a chance.

But asking is free, email the mod and see what's up. <_<

Since you have so few caches in the area, why do you feel it necessary to place one so close to another cache? Someone beat you to "the spot", but if you can move your cache .01 miles away (53 feet) then it can be approved.

If you're planning this as a multi/puzzle cache where it would be a lot of work to change the puzzle, or there is a specific reason for your exact spot, email your approver and explain it to him.

Someone beat you to "the spot", but if you can move your cache .01 miles away (53 feet) then it can be approved.

Just to let you know the rule is within .10 miles (528 feet or 161 meters), not .01 miles. I plan to place caches around here well away from the recent cache, but I just particuraly liked the spot I had picked out.

Someone beat you to "the spot", but if you can move your cache .01 miles away (53 feet) then it can be approved.

Just to let you know the rule is within .10 miles (528 feet or 161 meters), not .01 miles. I plan to place caches around here well away from the recent cache, but I just particuraly liked the spot I had picked out.

You original post said "This past weekend, another geocacher hid a geocache .09 miles from my chosen location."

So, if you move your cache another .01 miles (or 53 feet/16 meters) away from that cache, it will total 0.1 miles (or 528 feet/161 meters) and satisfy the distance requirement.

If you have a compelling reason for needing the original spot, you should explain that to the approver (in the note to the approver field of the cache submission page or in a private email)

I think I know of a new spot out there in the forest preserve that is far enough away.... but just out of curiosity, what is the address to email the cache approver person? or would I just include a note in the cache submission page?

Thanks for your comments,

Aaron

Elangomatt

In the past this site has held with "You snooze you lose". They do however protect a cache while you are "Workin on it" if you have submitted a cache page pending permission etc. So I guess the evolution is "First to submit" wins. Permission and other issues have not held sway.

Having said that. 0.09 might be close enough. 340-380 feet is too close as I had to list that cache on Navicache after GC would not allow the exception even though I had (in my opinion) a good case.

Edited by Renegade Knight
I think I know of a new spot out there in the forest preserve that is far enough away.... but just out of curiosity, what is the address to email the cache approver person? or would I just include a note in the cache submission page?

Thanks for your comments,

Aaron

Elangomatt

If you have placed another cache, look at the bottom of that page for the approver's link. Otherwise, send an email to approvers@geocaching.com

would it be within the rules to make this a multi cache and put the final container where I have it already, but put the first part of the multi further away?

(I am new to hiding, so please bear with me)

Thanks

Nope. If you are making a multi each stage has to meet the rule. If you were placing a cache and not aware of all the stages of a mulity GC didn't used to hold you to the rule since you can't check. I'm not so sure about that anymore.

do you think it would be to my advantage that there are currently only 8 caches in my entire county?  or would that not really matter at all?

Aaron

I'd say that would hurt more than help. Besides the admins can see that for themselves. To answer your original question, how strict are they? In my experience they are willing to consider bending that rule in certain cases. I think in this case however, with only 8 caches in the entire county they probably won't. They'll probably tell you what I'll tell you. I'm sure there are tons of locations just as and even more beautiful than the one you picked out. Go nuts. Check out some maps and look for nearby parks. Also try a google for Kankakee River, you'll find some great stuff like this. You've got a blank canvas there and some really beautiful locations like this, to play with. Go to cheaperthandirt.com and order a few six packs of ammo can and hide away and have fun.

Here's another great link. I'd kill for locations like this around me.

Edited by JMBella

I know there are lots of great locations around the area. The reason why I was asking about this location is just because I was so surprised to find the location that was to be my first hide was taken away from me so suddenly. I am surprised that the person that hid the cache in my area even knew that forest preserve existed since they are from 30 some miles away.

Thanks everyone for all the help and thanks for the suggestions.

Edited by elangomatt
I know there are lots of great locations around the area.  The reason why I was asking about this location is just because I was so surprised to find the location that was to be my first hide was taken away from me so suddenly.  I am surprised that the person that hid the cache in my area even knew that forest preserve existed since they are from 30 some miles away.

Thanks everyone for all the help and thanks for the suggestions.

You have know Idea how well I can relate to that. I'm expecting NJ Admin or New York Admin to chime in here any second. Last week I hid a cache at a really great location. We just happened to find it while driving from one cache to another. It was a historical Lighthouse with some of the most spectacular views I've seen in my area. Well needless to say I had to hide a cache there. That was Sunday the 25th. I submitted the cache page on the 26th. The next day the admin posts a note on the page that someone beat me to it! They hid a cache there THE SAME DAY! The problem, (for me anyway), is that they submitted the cache page earlier than I did so there's got approved and of course mine didn't. There were some variables that gave me a decent argument as to why my cache should be approved also but it was not to be. I only fought for so much because I just couldn't believe the dumb luck of it all. What are the chances that someone would hide a cache 200 feet away from mine in the same day? I was also a bit annoyed because I put a lot of work into the cache page and it looked really cool. Not having any luck finding another place for my cache and not able to get it approved I emailed all my HTML code to the owner of the other cache. He happily used it so at least all my hard work on the page didn't go to waste. Here's the cache page in case anyone cares.

Edited by JMBella

There seems to be some discussion on first to submit gets first dibs. My question is this. When I prepare a cache page, it goes through many edits. The first time I submit it, is that when my "reservation" of that area goes into effect? Or is it when I submit my final and mark the cache as active? I know that when submit my rough draft, is when I get the email stating I submitted the cache. Just curious.

There seems to be some discussion on first to submit gets first dibs. My question is this. When I prepare a cache page, it goes through many edits. The first time I submit it, is that when my "reservation" of that area goes into effect? Or is it when I submit my final and mark the cache as active? I know that when submit my rough draft, is when I get the email stating I submitted the cache. Just curious.

This is a very good question. I think there has been a change since the last cache I submitted.

Here's how I think it works. Hopefully someone can confirm it or straighten it out.

If you create a cache page but don't make it active the approver doesn't see. I don't if they can even see it yet.

If you create a cache page and do make it active it pops up in their approval queue. However, if for some reason you need some time to place the cache then let the approver know in the Note to Approver. They then can put a HOLD on it.

But with all of that said, it really doesn't take all that much time to place a cache. Load your GPS with all of the nearby caches so you can tell if you're far enough away from another one. Find your spot. Hide the cache. Take your readings. Go home and write up the cache page. In a couple of days go back out to confirm your readings, and mark the cache and log with name and waypoint.

What are the chances that someone would hide a cache 200 feet away from mine in the same day?

Probably about the same that two people would submit locationless caches for Steam Locomotives on the same day. (GC49C7 & GC49BC - 4/02/2002) <_<

Not having any luck finding another place for my cache and not able to get it approved I emailed all my HTML code to the owner of the other cache. He happily used it so at least all my hard work on the page didn't go to waste. Here's the cache page in case anyone cares.

they should have at least given you props on the page for the html. :mad:

Tell me about it. If someone says "nice cache page" in one of the logs and they just say "thank you", we gonna have words. :mad:

What are the chances that someone would hide a cache 200 feet away from mine in the same day?

Probably about the same that two people would submit locationless caches for Steam Locomotives on the same day. (GC49C7 & GC49BC - 4/02/2002) :mad:

OK, that one has me beat. It's interesting that one of them has nearly twice as many logs as the other.

Sorry to derail this topic. DOH!!! :mad:

Probably about the same that two people would submit locationless caches for Steam Locomotives on the same day. (GC49C7 & GC49BC - 4/02/2002) :mad:

Can't beat that either, but the same day thing happened to me once too.

OK, that one has me beat. It's interesting that one of them has nearly twice as many logs as the other.

Sorry to derail this topic. DOH!!! :mad:

look at the requirements for each. GC49BC practically wants a DNA sample to prove you found it. the other one isn't as demanding.